Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
blocked sinus, and sore eyes

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

blocked sinus, and sore eyes

I've had  a blocked sinus for about 3 mths, im continualy sniffling and i have mucus passing down the back of my throat.
I have had feverish symptoms, but they have abated, although i do still seem to be overheating, sweaty underarms.
My eyes are sore, with redness,and swelling in the corners, near the bridge of my nose, I find smokey rooms make my eyes sore and itchy.
Ive been on various antibiotics which have not really helped.
My Dr. tells me I have a Virus, but its very resilient, and I'm hoping it not something more sinister.
I'm wondering what this is I have and if any other people have had the problems, for the period I have, 3 mths.
Im 32 and in good physical condition, a non smoker.
I do find that alcohol has a very negative affect on this medical condition, worsening all aspects of it dramatically
Postnasal drip is drainage from the nose and sinuses dripping down the back of the throat.  It is possible that postnasal drip is due to blocked sinuses.  It is also possible that postnasal drip has nothing to do with blocked sinuses.  This can cause sore, red, swollen eyes and fester infections.  A nasal wash helps remove mucus and viruses from the nose and sinuses.  This can temporarily reduce the postnasal drip and lessen infections.  A prescription nasal steroid spray decreases nasal swelling and mucus production.  This may prevent the postnasal drip and infections.  To get the most out of a nasal steroid spray use it after doing a nasal wash.  A nasal steroid spray does not provide immediate relief of symptoms.  It may require several weeks of routine use to become effective.  Please read our Nasal Wash MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/nasal.html for more information about this technique.  Share this information with your doctor to see if you would benefit from this daily treatment.

A decongestant like Sudafed
I know how you are feeling...I had that problem for about 3 months.  I went to the doctor a total of 5 times for a sinus infection before finally deciding I needed to see a specialist.  He told me that the minimum amt. of time that a person with a chronic sinus infection needs to be on antibiotic therapy is 3 weeks...so he perscribed augmintin and predinsone (an oral corticosteroid that reduced the swelling in my sinuses and allowed them to drain).  It took about 2 weeks before I finally started feeling like I could get through the day without crashing...I went in for a CT Scan on my sinuses last week, and am awaiting the results to see if I am infection free or if some type of physical anomaly will force me to have surgery.  So see a specialist if you can.  It's awful to feel lousy all the time.  Good Luck.
A related discussion, watery eyes,sinus probs? was started.