Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
blocked sinus

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

blocked sinus

i have had blocked sinus's for nearly 31\2 mths. My eyes have been hurting but my neckis also been getting stiff with very sore head ache. i have been to my GP and they gave me some antibiotics which have made no change. i am told that there is nothing to be done with this problem and that it is something that has to run it's course.
Please tell me if you have any new idea's
as i rreally can't bear the pain that ive been getting.
thanks
Nasal polyps are fleshy growths of the lining of the nose and sinuses.  Their roots are found in the upper part of the nose and in the ethmoid and maxillary sinuses.  On a sinus x-ray they may look like clouding of the ethmoid and maxillary sinuses.  A developing polyp is teardrop-shaped.  A mature polyp looks like a peeled seedless grape.  They can get large enough to block the opening of the sinuses and the nasal passage.  This could certainly cause your symptoms.  Some people have problems with a stuffy nose, sinus infections, or loss of their senses of taste and smell.  Surgery to remove the nasal polyps may be suggested.  However, the chance of nasal polyps growing back is extremely high.

A nasal wash helps remove mucus and germs from your nose and sinuses.  This can temporarily lessen your blocked sinuses and pain.  A prescription nasal steroid spray decreases the mucus production by decreasing the inflammation of the nose and sinuses.  This may prevent the pain from pressure and shrink the nasal polyps.  To get the most help from a nasal steroid spray use it after doing a nasal wash.  A nasal steroid spray does not provide immediate relief of symptoms.  It may require several weeks of routine use to become effective.  Please read our Nasal Wash MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/nasal.html for more information about this technique.  Share this information with your doctor to see if you would benefit from this daily treatment.

If the nasal polyps are small this may be all the treatment that is needed to relieve your symptoms.  If they are large, this treatment may shrink them enough that surgery is more likely to remove the entire root of the polyp so that it doesn