blood in mucus, no cough
40 yr old f, 5'6 170 lbs. 12 days ago went to ER with sharp chest pain on left side, normal EKG, BP,XRays and labs, dr felt confident not cardiac related sent home told to rest, possible anxiety.  3 days later head and ear pressure, spitting out clear mucus with black stringy things (old blood?) went to Urgent Care, fluid in ear and red throat (not sore) lungs sounded good, no sinus pain or fever. Diagnosed with sinus infection.  Week later chest pain is better, now spitting out pink and very small amount of red blood.  No cough, just snorting from my nose and clearing my throat when I spit. I can't afford to go back to the ER or Urgent care as my health insurance does't take effect until Dec 1 and I have already had these tests without ins.  Concerns are lung cancer.  I smoke as a teen for about a year (20 years ago, only a fw cigarettes a week) quit until about 2 years ago and only smoke when I go out, maybe 3-4 cigarettes a month if that)  and also pulmonary embolism although the chest pain has receded in the last few days and the shortness of breath comes and goes.  I have an appt with a pcp for the 2nd of Dec just looking for info until then.  If I am not coughing the
Hi, understand your anxiety. Spitting up altered sputum could be due to the throat infection. This is more so as this occurs on clearing your throat. If you are a smoker and have developed long standing lung infections/inflammation it can compromise your lung function To improve lung function practice breathing exercises and quit smoking.  Lung function tests could further help in evaluation. If the symptoms are getting worse or if you develop additional symptoms please consult your primary care physician. In the meantime try warm salt water gargles. Good luck with your therapy. Regards.