Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
blood in sputum

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

blood in sputum

i am a 29 year old female and i am a smoker of about 15 years. two weeks ago i noticed that when i woke up in the morning i had a small amt of blood in my sputum. i went to the dr two days ago becuase i noticed this again when i coughed. she told me that it was more than likely my sinuses being dry becuase i did have the appearance of an infection in my sinuses. i dont have a cough really at all and i dont have sob adn i dont have pain or wheezing. she listened to my lungs adn she said they sounded good. so is it possible that the tiny amt of blood is from my sinuses that i am coughing up? idont have colored phlegm. it is clear not green or yellow. can you help me?
Sinusitis is an inflammation of the mucous membranes that line the sinus cavities.  Inflammation of the sinuses could be due to an allergy, an infection, or ongoing exposure to an irritant, such as pollution or cigarette smoke.  Symptoms can include a headache or pressure in the area of the sinuses, a stuffy nose, postnasal drip, cough, sore throat, and thick, yellow to green nasal drainage.  This inflammation can block sinus drainage and cause increased mucus production that may contain small amounts of blood.  The mucus can drain from the nose and sinuses down the back of the throat causing a constant or intermittent postnasal drip and sore throat.

The best way to identify a sinus infection is with a sinus CT scan, although sinus x-rays are a decent alternative.  A sinus CT scan will also identify if any of the openings that drain your sinuses are blocked.  If the tiny amount of blood in your phlegm is due to sinusitis, it will last as long as the inflammation continues.  Please read our Sinusitis MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/sin.html to learn ways to clear up the inflammation.  Check with your doctor to see which of these would work best for you.

You may want to look at our Quit Smoking Topic Center at http://www.nationaljewish.org/topic/smoking_cessation.html for ways to help you to quit smoking.  Also check with your doctor for other quit smoking resources in your area.
Its called hemoptysis. Here's a link:
http://www.pulmonologychannel.com/hemoptysis/    Excerpt:

"Hemoptysis (pronounced he-MOP-tis-is) is the coughing up of blood from the respiratory tract. The blood can come from the nose, mouth, throat, the airway passages leading to the lungs, or the lungs...........................

Blood-tinged mucus in a healthy nonsmoker usually indicates a mild infection and is generally no cause for concern..........

In patients with a history of smoking or who are otherwise at risk for lung disease, however, hemoptysis is often a sign of serious illness, including cancer. Other serious diseases that can cause hemoptysis include bronchiectasis (chronic dilation and infection of the bronchioles and bronchi), pulmonary embolus (a clogged artery in the lungs that can lead to tissue death), pneumonia (a lung infection), and tuberculosis (see Tuberculosis). Hemoptysis can also result from inhaling a foreign body.................

If there is a small amount of blood or sputum streaked with blood, the spitting is considered mild hemoptysis. In 60% to 70% of mild hemoptysis cases, the underlying disorder is benign and disappears on its own without causing serious problems or permanent damage"
------------
Under the circumstances, I would ask for a chest X-ray and perhaps a CBC blood count.
More exerpts from above link:
http://www.pulmonologychannel.com/hemoptysis/diagnosis.shtml

"After confirmation of hemoptysis, diagnosis involves differentiating among the possible causes of the bleeding, from lung cancer to bronchitis. The diagnosis involves a detailed medical history, laboratory tests, and a chest x-ray."
thanks...and i am sorry but when i say sputum i meant phlegm....does that make a difference? and it is not every day.
It's certainly possible the blood tinged mucus/phlegm you cough up is from your nasal cavity, so you could wait to see if it improves, per your doctor's recommendation. I have this symptom when I use some nasal sprays for my rhinitis, like Nasalcrom and Nasonex. If this is the case its likely you would also notice it when you blow your nose.

However if the volume of blood increases, its time to go back to the doctor for more tests; like blood work & CXR. [I've been thru all this, for unexplained hemoptysis; apparently from a lung infection, which seems to be resolving after a couple of years.]

This is a wakeup call regarding your smoking.

thankyou for the comment. i am concerned some because i dont see blood when i sneeze and i am 2 adn half months pregnant and i did have pnemonia (pneumonia) a year ago..could that be a result of it? it is strange because i dont see blood streaked phlegm. it is like a small round phlegm ball with some blood in it. it happens sometimes if i sneeze to and usually just first thing in the morning. i am keeping a close eye on it and it isnt getting worse yet but my dr said if it dont go away in two weeks she will run more tests.
hi i jsut wanted to make a comment that i have discovered that the blood was in my sinuses cavity. i was sitting here tonight and my nose started bleeding after i itched it up inside. i had no blood or even a cough today. so i am confident that the blood was due to the infection/inflammed left nostril my dr told me about. i am still taking the saline nose spray to help with dryness.
In reference to a post comment i saw earlier, I am having nose bleed in the morning, When I spit, I get traces of blood in the sputum. Firstly, this doesnt happen everyday, Next it has been going on for several months and it is getting worst. So i went to a ENT doctor. He said if was a simple sinus infection, this doctor hastly take a look at me and said it was a small problem!! entire process took less than 2mins?, He prescrip me some medication which i dont know what's it about. Can anyone tell me AMXI/CLOV 875Mg and GUIAFENEX 800Mg means.
Did he gave me the right Rx? Howcome after taking the medication, I am still getting more blood in sputum in the morning, i think it's coming from my nose too.
Please help.

I had massive hemoptysis 4 years back. We did all kinds of test including, blood work, x - ray, bronchoscopy, ct scan, endoscopy but could not find any reason. after a month it automatically stopped. Now after 4 years it has reappeared. Though it is not as intense or massive as it was last time it might get worse with time.

This time also we did x - ray and endoscopy and working on seeing pulmonologist and ENT specialist. They did find out that I have hiatal hernia. But they haven't found any thing else yet. As far as I remember the blood usually comes half an hour or an hour after eating. During these days I sneeze a lot. Do you think this could be some hint.

Well I am confused.hope we will find something. Let me know if you have any idea on what might be happening to me.

Thanks...
A related discussion, blood stains on the sheet was started.
A related discussion, blood in phlegm was started.
A related discussion, Blood in sputum was started.