Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
blood with mucus in nostril

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

blood with mucus in nostril

Im 29 male, hispanic, in good shape. and had been fighting this weird cough for a long time. The cough started after I did not change a sweaty t-shirt after a 3 mile run. as I got in the car and felt the breeze hit my chest I knew I was in for it. Once I got home I changed but the A/C was on and the coughing got worse. I took niquil moderately and the cough eventually left.
Ok now here is my problem. I have been noticing that my nasal passage is constantly clogged with mucus. The dark green kind...its got a name...oh yea phlem? any ways. I've been coughing lightly and spitting it out every day for almost the past two weeks. I took some more nyquil and the cough is finally gone. Now, when I blow my nose, I see small traces of blood. Today is the third day that I've noticed it. should I be worried?
It is possible that the cough and the nasal drainage are both related.  A possible cause of both is a chronic sinus inflammation and/or infection.  This can cause everything you have described including the chronicity of the symptoms.  If this is continuing to be a problem, and from your note it sounds like it is, you may want to talk with your doctor.  Sinusitis is an easy diagnosis to make with a CT scan of the sinus.  Often a doctor will treat with a course of antibiotics before performing a CT scan and see if this eliminates the symptoms.  If they go away and come back or do not go away at all, the CT is the best next step.
i'm a 17 year old female, and i've had strep throat for the past 3 months. it was finally decided a couple of weeks ago, that i would have a tonsilectomy.  we finally made my appointment to have surgery yesterday. i'm not having surgery until july 15. today's date is the june 22nd. keep in mind, i've already had strep throat for 3 months. i've been on antibiotics, but right now, i'm not, and i havn't been for a while.  my troat hurts real bad, and i've been coughing a lot now. (new symptom) this cough just recently started, and now my nose is all clogged. i'm taking allegra for my allergies..but i don't know what's really going on. my mucus isn't green like it should be if i had a sinus infection (i've had plenty of those) it's clear, and really bloody. so, this cough, and the bloody mucus just started, and my throat's never hurt worse...i don't really know what's going on..
A related discussion, small streaks of blood once in awhile was started.