Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
bloody postnasal drip

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

bloody postnasal drip
Two years ago I began to have blood in my postnasal drip.  Over time the amount increased and after weather changes or when I am outside, it sometimes forms small clots.  I do not have nosebleeds.  I saw an ENT in July 2005 and she said she saw where it was bleeding in my nose before she used the scope and then cauterized.  I wasn't given any diagnosis or treatment plan even when I called back. I asked if I had polyps and she said no. In December 2005 I went to another ENT, explaining the situation.  He sent me for a CT scan and said I had a blocked left max sinus, and put me on Tequin 400 for 4 weeks.  Another CT showed no change, so he recommended surgery to clean out the area. I do not get pain in my face, only over my eyebrows. I am 68 and have severe TMJ and macular pucker on the left side of my face, also I've had dental bone surgery at the bottom of my left nostril.  I have diverticulosis and the antibiotic was very harmful to my condition.  I would have to take more antibiotics for the surgery, so I am looking for any alternative. I have more blood when the weather changes or when I go outdoors. The bleeding lessens when I stay indoors. The blood always stops overnight and resumes after I am up.  It is in a clear base most of the time, yellowish other times. It does not come out of my nose even when I blow my nose, always comes down in postnasal drip. I use saline and neosporin.  Since the two diagnoses were so different, I am desperately seeking an alternative to surgery.  Thank you for any help.
This is obviously a very difficult and confusing problem for you.  It is most likely that you do, indeed, have a chronic sinus problem.  It could be from a blocked cavity that needs drainage.  It could also be from a chronic sinus infection due to the blocked cavity.  There could be some other problem that cannot be easily determined from a forum.  I would suggest, since you have two differing opinions, I would suggest seeking an opinion from yet a third ENT.  This specialist can review the CT films, your current situation, and your related medical problems and give you an unbiased evaluation of what he/she finds.  It is difficult to say you will or will not need surgery or even certain antibiotics without further evaluation.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker