blue fingernail beds and asthma
My 3 yr old son has a history of asthma (coughing only--no wheezing) and takes pulmicort nebulizer 1x/day as well as nasonex and claritin for allergies.  His asthma is generally well controlled with these meds.  He had tonsils/adenoids removed due to chronic infections and sleep apnea which was discovered in the process of trying to find out why his fingernails/toenails were blue sometimes when he woke up in the morning or after a nap (it was not associated with labored breathing such as with asthma).  After the surgery he had difficulty maintaining his O2 sats even on 50% oxygen and a rapid heart rate which both did finally resolve the next day.  However, for about 3 weeks following the surgery, any time he would get the least bit upset his whole hand and the lower half of his face would turn blue until he calmed down.  This led to an echocardiogram which was normal.  I didn't notice any problems for about 2 months but now he is back to having occasional blue fingernails but it is not related to distressed breathing.  My questions are:
1: what else could cause this to happen?
2: do you think he definitely has asthma or could it be something else?
3: should I see a specialist? my ped is wonderful but would a pulmonologist be better to address these issues?
Thank you in advance for your help!
National Hygiene Foundation 40 yr study proves filthy finger/thumb nails self-inoculating the nose and eyes is the basic cause of Asthma in 300 million worldwide. reversal can be achieved by cleaning fingernails correctly email Dr Seaton for a copy of the study. ***@****