Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
breathing difficulties

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

breathing difficulties

I've been having difficulty taking in a full lung full of air. I can uncomfortable breathe normal, but my body feels like it still needs a bit more oxygen so i try to take deeper breathes or even yawn but cant seem to completely fill up my lungs sometimes, and the times i do get that full breath it feels like my chest is squeezing around my lungs and even a sharp pain occurs at times. also some of the times when i do get this breath upon intake of breath there is wheezing in my lungs. I dont feel like my upper body is getting its complete correct oxygen flow. and at times it feels like air is just collecting in my throat and chest but not actually getting anywhere to my lungs to help my heart out and on really bad occassions the blood running through my veins in my arms down to my hands feels super heavy and thick and cause pain. Im not the slightest over weight. I eat healthy foods, exercise daily, run, bike, and climb.

I did suffer from pneumonia as a child, and after i got better i did start to notice minor breathing issues that only occured with extreme exercise and at that point I wouldnt be able to breath at all, I would try to intake air and it would feel like someone had cut off the air supply at my neck and I would struggle to regain breathing for 30 secs to a minute. I havent had one of these attacks in at least 10-15 years. I am now 25.

I cant afford health care, but i make a bit too much to get free health care from the state.. i just happen to fall into that unlucky category. But the one time I did go to the ER for severe chest pains that were unbearable and made me not even want to breathe they said it was nothing orethan an inflammation in the my chest and would go away on its own nothing they could do. but that was 10 years ago. Im an athlete and i just want to breathe normally and feel good about my workouts and resting times not have to struggle and fight to breathe all the time.
The symptoms of “wheezing in my lungs” and your being unable to “get a full breath” may be a sign of asthma.  I would be reluctant to ascribe your symptoms to your not getting enough oxygen, especially since you are able to “exercise daily, run, bike, and climb.”  

An alternative explanation would be recurrent airflow obstruction secondary to a condition called Vocal Cord Dysfunction (VCD), a condition in which one’s vocal cords inappropriately, partially close at a time when they should be opening.

The preceding is speculation on my part.  I suggest that as soon as you next have healthcare insurance, that you see a breathing specialist (Pulmonologist), the type of physician best qualified to sort things out, by physical  examination and pulmonary function testing.  In the meantime, do continue to exercise to the extent that you describe.

Good luck