Respiratory Disorders Community
breathing sewer gas

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

breathing sewer gas

I have been ill for over 6 months from breathing sewer gas that came from a grease trap.  I was in an office that wasn't ventilated and was only 6x8 in size.  I have been to numerous doctors and have been diagnosed with acute bronchitis to depression.  Yes I am depressed because I can't find anyone that can tell me why I'm still ill after all this time.  I have noises in my ears constantly.  My left ear hurts, I am congested and I have no energy.  I have also experienced severe cramps in my entire legs.  I have had two steroid shots, have been prescribed oral steroids twice, taken antibiotics orally and have also had one shot of antibiotics.  I have also been prescribed two different inhalers, cough medicine,allergy medicine and anti inflamatories.  I also have had a bad pain, burning and tingling down my leg from my buttocks area to my ankle since the last steroid shot in February.  I have gone to an ear nose and throat doctor who told me there was nothing wrong with my ear.  After four months I returned to work and the problem in my office was supposed to have been fixed.  It wasn't so I am back at home.  They have finally broke the floor up and removed the contaminated soil under the slab but I can't go back to work because I am still suffering from congestion and I am unable to walk a lot from the pain in my leg.  My question is, has anyone else been exposed to anything like this and how did they find a doctor that could treat them.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. But recurrent chest infections can be due to Asthma, COPD or Bronchiectasis. The other causes could be due to Bronchitis or Cystic fibrosis. You will need to consult your doctor who may need to do a sputum culture and sensitivity to determine what antibiotic the organism is susceptible to.  He may even ask for repeat blood test and an X ray. Lung function tests could further help in evaluation. In the meantime take OTC acetaminophen for the temperature, try to take warm oral fluids and do steam inhalations prior to your meals. This helps to loosen up and bring out the secretions.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi - I've been dealing with something which I think is similiar -

I am an Acupuncturist/Chinese Herbalist, and have had some luck self-administering, even though the problem persists, our neighbor's leaky plumbing...

If you would like more information, post back here - This seems to be a problem that only with the internet is anyone recognizing it...

Best -
I have been renting a property that has had sewage problems from the beginning of moving in. This has been since early February. There is a foul odor in my house from where the toilets have overflowed and gotten under the wall into the carpet of the adjoining room. Lately, I have been very fatigued, headaches, wheezing, sleeplessness  and allergy/sinus problems. The landlord cut the pipe but I do not believe he has capped it to prevent gases from entering the house. I cannot seem to get him to do anything. I have poured bleach under the baseboards in an attempt to kill any mildew and mold. I have professionally cleaned the carpet. Only to have no positive results. Can you give me any advice or your opinion on th is matter?