Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
calcification in lungs

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

calcification in lungs

about 8 years ago after a routine chest x ray i was told that my lungs were scarred from chicken pox i had in my 30s, the doctor told me that over time they would calcify.
ive recently had a severe chest infection so another x ray was done because air sounds were very poor in the right lung, ive now been told that the scars are calcifying and that i should have the x ray repeated in 4 weeks to see how the lungs look when the infection has cleared up. since this last infection i have a constant cough and breathlessness. what will the cacification cause.
Tags: lungs
The residual scars of chicken pox, either before or after calcification, usually cause no symptoms or loss of lung function.  The calcifications are almost always an incidental finding on chest x-ray.

The main task of your doctors now, is to establish the cause of the recent acute infection and poor breath sounds in the right lung and treat it.  The decreased breath sounds suggest that there may be a blockage of one of your bronchi.  It is highly likely that these nodules have nothing to do with your infection, cough and breathlessness.

You may need to consider getting a second opinion.
1 Comment
A related discussion, What cause calcification on your lungs? was started.