can trapped gas cause soreness, sharp or stabbing type pains in chest?
Hi, i was wondering if trapped gas can cause chest soreness, chest tightness, shortness of breath, stabbing pain which is severe enough to think you are having a serious heart problem. and if the answer is yes, how does one go about solving this trapped gas problem?

Thanks.
lilbears24.

my name is Tony,
I'm 26 years old and I suffer from similar symptoms. we are around the same age so lets see if we can help each other. i'll try to give the full run down and be as detailed as possible.
about two weeks ago (today is 4/29/2014) I arrived at home from work 4/19/2014 (i'm  a bartender and I work a lot and work till very early in the morning, sometimes[rarely] not getting home until 5a.m. back to work at 4:30p.m., up @ 12p.m.) this night in particular, I arrived home around 1:30 a.m.-2a.m.. for months, I come home, get a second wind (can't sleep) and stay up for hours sitting on my a** playing video games and smoking pot. I've been smoking pot off and on since I was about 16 but for the past year I have been smoking steady, I would say on average, everyday. I live in an apartment and there is simply nothing for me to do that wouldn't disturb my neighbors and plus, I live upstairs. since I smoke pot, I get the munchies and I ate a lot this night, but I didn't eat just any old thing. I had a two day old grilled chicken ceasar salad that had been in the bar fridge because I forgot it the night before. I hadn't eaten all day (I consistently ate once a day and then big meals at night right before I go to bed for months over the course of the last year) so I inhaled the salad, and then I had a capresse sandwich(no meat) and French fries that I had to bake to re heat. I have a pan inside my oven with month old grease, yes that's right, month old grease(my kitchen sink never worked when I moved in and is clogged because some lady who lived here before me poured paint down the drain. so I don't wash dishes a lot) i'm lazy,(i'm 5'7 weighing 140 pounds) so I put the fries directly on the pan not concerned with grease, I usually brag about how I can eat anything with no effect. I inhale that sandwich and fries with a Peruvian hot sauce with lime juice and Aji pepper in it, and I have eaten Peruvian consistently for the past 2 years, I work in a Peruvian restaurant. finished with the meal, I move to the couch, as I do, and smoke my weed and play my games, for about 4 hours............

at 6:30 in the morning, never having once had any of these types of symptoms, I turn everything off, lay down on my side; This is when the pain came. Sharp, startling and sudden, in the middle of my chest. as I lay there, opening my eyes looking at the wall, I wonder what is making me feel this way. closing my eyes, trying to forget about it thinking it's just a random body pain, it hits me again. the tightness seizing my body, I recoil and sit up grasping at my chest. at this moment, I begin to recall my father's medical history (high blood pressure with Afibulation), and the only thing I can think that could be happening to me is a heart attack. I sat there for 5 minuets as the pain set in and worsened. I felt dread and loathing, a vision of me dying in my apartment not being recovered for four days and rotting; days later, neighbors make the discovery of a 26 year old man who was too stupid to get help when nature gave him warning signs and a chance to save himself, flashed before my eyes. this is when the anxiety and increased heart-rate began and I reach for my cellular. as I stand, the chest pains, neck tightness, achy throat, heart fluttering, hot-flushed face, blood shot eyes intensifies. moving for the mirror, I look into my face and am mortified to see that I am red in face(i'm olive-brown skinned Cape Verdean) with blood-red eyes. at this point I am becoming confused, not able to clear my thoughts. I called my mom instead of 911; it's been a good 10 minuets. she convinces me to get help, so I drive myself to the ER. once there, my condition is severe, and I am so certain I am going to die. upon sitting in the waiting room and just sitting in general the symptoms worsen, pains shoot down my left-arm, left-leg, tingling left hand and staggering, slow breathing continues. A man in the waiting room looks at me and says, "how are you doin'?".
"I've been better...", I reply, taking note of his dress, thinking he may be homeless, he wears a dark poofy windbreaker jacket, jeans and a somewhat scarred face.
"what's wrong with you?", he asks.
"My heart... doesn't feel good...", I reply in a slow, painful cadence. I'm about to die and i'm being interrogated, thinking to myself, this is not helping my condition.
The man looks to me and says, "i'll pray for you."
"Thank you." I say, surprised, while i would have never expected to hear this come from him, I say, "i'll pray... for you, too." still clawing at my rib cage.
Finally, he leaves, and finally my name is called. It has been about 30 minuets since symptoms have set in. Triage involves my blood-pressure being taken in a chilly front-desk kiosk. I inform the pretty blonde triage nurse of everything that has happened thus far and reveal the fact that i am a chronic pot smoker. my thighs we're shaking while being interviewed, may have just been the cold though. as i'm moved to the examining room, my anxiety begins to subside and even worse (or better?) once i lay upon the examining table, my symptoms began to subside! i was hooked up to an EKG machine and blood work was done. saline solution (i could be getting this wrong) was fed into my arm and that is about all the "medication" i received while in the emergency room. make this story shorter, they didn't find jack. chest x-rays came back "The lungs are clear, Mediastinal structures appear unremarkable, the skeletal structures appear unremarkable. Impression: No acute process is identified."........
since that day, my symptoms were just feelings of minor chest tightness, small burping, random hiccup, neck pain, left arm soreness, and most of the symptoms that accompany acid reflux. i immediately modified my diet away from the greasy foods i was use to frequently eating, now i eat crackers, low sodium turkey, cream cheese, carrot juice, fruit smoothie, white bread, pickles, peppermint tea with lemon, lots of water, apple juice, rice, milk and cereal (shredded wheat, raisin bran, peanut butter flavored cherrios.). UNTIL RECENTLY
it was either sunday or Monday, i went skateboarding and running, doing intervals off and on the skate board running up hill and walking, it was fun and i had a great time and felt even better. when i got home i cooled off and met with friends and i cleared a bong after one of them hit it. didn't feel any discomfort after that, so i think well maybe i can smoke. i smoke weed as normal and the symptoms started that night again, maybe an hour after i smoked. ever since then I've been mildly uncomfortable and after eating rice and olive oil last night and sitting down playing video games, smoking pot, my symptoms went into full swing, but not as dramatic (barely) when i sent myself to the ER. i rode it out, doing gas releasing yoga moves standing at my bar table with my back bent inwards and belly thrust forward, this position seems to help and i am actually standing at the table right now. I played music with my band tonight and i vaporized my weed and have had only mild discomfort. it feels like air is trapped in my chest, but i know that if i smoke weed tonight my symptoms will be just as bad as last night. i am quiting smoking for a month to see what will happen, but i don't know if i should tonight, i want to experiment right now and see if not vaping the pot will give me symptoms. i think it could be a possible PE (pulmonary Embolism) but i have no pain in my left leg, which is, from what i am understanding, where a blood clot (not saying i have one) will for then release and travel to the lung. for the record i don't smoke cigarettes anymore haven't smoke ciggs for over a year, but i have smoke two cigarettes this month.

I've typed to much, wish me luck, i will be back. hope this helps somewhat. trust me, i don't this this is going to end very soon so you will hear more from me, i want to know wtf is going on!
i know its been a long time since anyone has posted on this thread, but boy i tell ya for two days now I have been suffering with stabbing chest pains, under my arm,in my sternum, hard to breathe, feel like i am gonna pass out, nothing is helping me right now, i will be fine for a couple hours and then boom it happens again I take gass X on a regular basis and boy it is not helping today or yesterday, i put hot packs on my chest, i lay on my back with knees to my chest, i lay flat and try to do some stretches. I just cant seem to pass it this time. does anyone have any answers for me.? I suffer with anxiety as well, i have been to the ER, had every test known to man on my heart and lungs and nothing shows up, doc says its gas. I know this did not start happening until last year after my colonoscopy because i was having bowel issues. I have had three BM's today, sorry for the TMI but i thought it would relieve the gas after awhile. its horrible.
i too have had the same problem ,nightmare ! Rushed to hospital etc ,nothing found to be wrong .Then my sister says ,it's trapped wind you've got,here take some peppermint capsules and also bicarbonate of soda in some water .Honestly ,give it a try ! i thought i was dying.(i wrote this on behalf of my brother)
This works for me when you have trapped gas jave a small child between the age of 3,4,5,6 to walk on your back there little feet will loosen the pressure of gas they don't weigh much so they can't injure you I've been doing this for years grab a Neice nephew son daughter and lay on your stomick and let he or she walk on your back it will be fun to them and when there finished the moment you stand up you feel better and can breath better
I am 22 years old and have been having the same issue for about 15 years. I usually drink some soda and it will make me burp. It doesn't do the trick right away, but it eventually helps. My pain can last a few minutes or a few hours. I have no idea what triggers it. I can't make myself burp, I've tried, however, I just cant seem to do it. It feels like I am having a heart attack. I get the stabbing pain in my chest which radiates to my left arm and jaw. I've gone to the hospital a few times, but they couldn't figure out what was going on. If you are laying down or sitting down when this happens to you, do not stay at rest. Go on a walk if you can, if not, just walk around your house, it eases the pain for me temporarily.
hi I have constipation and gas and when I eat anything I feel like I'm going to pass out it makes my whole body sore and my neck hurts
Well mine is mostly in the center and to the right of my chest.  My doctor said it was caused by gas pressure and wanted me to take imodium to help. I also got prescribed Zoloft to help with anxiety. She said the stress causes acid and gas to build up too much and that was why it felt sharp and dull.  But I still have the issue and it gets worse when I move around and so.  I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Again my doctor said it did not sound related to RA and that most likely it is the gas. I never thought gas could do that to a person. I thought gas stayed in the stomach and intestines but I guess not.  Why is it that mine hurts mostly on my right though?
I walked around. We walk our dog Marley each night and I still hurt. Mine is on going ranging from mild to moderate. It is always in my center and to my right lower of my ribs. I just started treatment for it last week. So maybe I am not giving it enough time. I am just tired of hurting. =(
Wow, been reading every1,s posts... you all have GERD...The only answer & treatment is to lose weight. Don,t  ever eat close to bed time,& pay attention to certain foods that give u problems... Also smoking & alcohol  makes it worse... If u hav probs @ nite, get up & take a walk & or puke.... Don,t mean to sound nasty,jus tryin to save u all a lot of $,s, that your all blowin @ hospitals.
Hi...feel same...feel pain in my lower jaws when i walk but no sweating or shortness of breath , which would otherwise suggest Angina pain. Do you feel the same? I have gall stones and maybe that is what causes this gas? take care !
Hi, I can't tell you all this is you, but I was diagnosed with costochondritis, which is inflammation of the chest wall after having pneumonia. Every since then I have horrible pain in the chest, that feels like you have to rub it, and it hurts to breathe. There is no cure, but I think gas somehow is related, I hope this helps someone.
I hope you are doing much better, I know that "maybe I won't die tonight" feeling well. God Bless.
I'm 64 and Started having this problem in March.  I thought I was having a heart attack.  It happens within a few minutes of eating certain foods or when I bend over to do something!  Also, if I take a walk, I have to stop every few feet to stop the pressure from building up.  When I realized it is trapped gas in my chest, I would wait to burp and continue on my walk!  It has gotten worse each week!  My husband would have to rub and pat my back until I could burp several times.  I was in tears 3 days ago and probably had a panic attack!  I read about magnesium and started taking two calcium citrate since it has magnesium. Also took an Aleve and got some Gas-X --which I took 4 times a day!  My pain started easing up and then my friend told me to chew (and swallow) fresh mint leaves.  It stops the pain immediately! I can't believe it but it really has made a difference.  No back rubs for 3 days now!  I even had mint growing in pots outside!  I also have not had any coffee for a week!  Mint hot tea or green tea and local honey!  Hope the mint leaves help some of you!  I carry it with me now!  
Hi, so happy I found this post as I thought I was going mad... Started a week ago when I could not burp and had pressure in my chest. Thought I was having a heart attack and rushed to Emergency. They did all the checks, heart, blood, urine the lot but came back and said they could find nothing wrong. Went to see my doctor the next day and he told me my digestive systems had gone wrong and that they needed to restart it so put me on a course of Lansoprazole, Domperidone, Gaviscon and Lactolose... I am praying that it works as every time I even think about eating I get worried. I keep getting a pressure sensation in my right forearm every time I eat which worries me though someone has said this is due to the gas moving around... Any suggestions will help and I will try the mint leaves...
Try Kefir (probiotics) from any grocery store. It should help to reduce overgrown bacteria (bad bacteria) in stomach.

I have had all these terrible gas bubble problems the symptoms were my chest felt like it was going to explode!! I would drop to my knees in agony my ears ringing it hurt so bad. This went on for 10 years frequently like all the time from once a week to several times in a day so I had to keep a emergency carbonated drink around to help me at all times to burp it out and relieve the pain. I don't even drink soda pop normally just for those emergencies (coke works the best). Anyways I narrowed it down to it had to be coffee cause I drink a lot of it! I quit cold turkey for over a month now not a single gas bubble!!!! No chest pain!!! make sure you give your stomach a chance to repair itself it will NOT be fine after quitting for a few days it takes a week at least. Not to be gross but my severe case of swollen bleeding hemorrhoids too they are now completely gone after a month as well . I tried all those expensive pharm/doctor prescribed creams for years  they did not work. Last but not least I thought I had some stomach malady all the time because my guts always hurt of felt uncomfortable. Guess what all gone too I feel years younger, I was feeling really old for 42 Now I feel great now I quit smoking six months ago and 1 month coffee free. In my opinion coffee is bad bad stuff could be a coincidence but I highly doubt it
try taking bromazipam 3 mg if it is anxiety u should hav instant relive
I've had the same symptoms since 1982.  I had my gallbladder removed in 2001. With me it started behind my right shoulder blade and suffered for years with this pain, then one day I asked my husband to rue it harder and harder and I belched. Problem solved, I thought, but the pain just moved to another location.  Now I have the pains through out my body even fingers and toes,so  I find relief by pushing in on the pain with great force. I even throw my body against door frames. The pain gets more and more intense, but I don"t stop until the gas releases, usually with large loud belches. After the belch the pain is totally gone and I have never had pain in the spot where I beat   the pain out. It works every time. I've mentioned this to every doctor that I ever had and I always got the same reaction from all of them. First the dirty, stupid, blank look and then the question, "How long has this been going on?" I reply since 1982 and the response is "Well, it can't be anything bad or else we would have known before now." WTF!!!  We will never get relief if the medical community won't take us seriously. Im happy that I came upon this web site. Good luck bennycgl and all the others like us!
Female 63 years old.  I was driving home and all of the sudden I felt a quick stab under my left breast.  It felt like someone stuck a pin in  my heart.  I then felt very anxious.  Kept moving around in the seat trying to make the anxious feeling go away.  It felt like the world was closing in on me.  When I got home,  I drank a pitcher of water over an hours time.  Belched a few times and about an hour later,  my neck shoulder and arm on my right side started aching.  Had a couple vertigo episodes while sitting on the couch that evening.  Went to bed.  Woke up and got ready for work and the aching in my shoulder and down my arm started again.  Any ideas what could be going on?  10 months ago I had a complete work up and testing on my heart and the tests were all normal.  Confused, but God is my healer!  
Hi guys,
I hope I can help some of you with sharing my story.

I am a 31 year old male, Never had any problems.  Over the last 2 years I started getting stabbing pains in the left side of my chest. Sometimes when I twist or lay down a certain way, it feels like I'm taking a heart attack.

I've been to the doctor over 6 times, each time it's the same thing, EKG, Chest x-ray, blood pressure. And they found nothing. I even had an ultrasound.

I went to an ear nose and throat specialist and was told I have a short esophagus and he gave me Gaviscon/Zantac for acid re-flux.

I then started having bloating and gas with the chest pains. Burping helps with the discomfort however I also get bad chest pain before a bowel movement.

I switched doctors, he sent me in for blood work, checked for gluten, and even went to a naturopath for food allergies and they all tested negative.

Finally I did a breath test where I got my blood work done. I tested positive for H-Pylori. (Helicobacter pylori) the doctor was able to give me some medication for it. I took a double dose so I was on it for 2 weeks. Afterwards I still felt terrible.

My wife was getting upset so she told me to quit smoking and drinking and to diet. (I'm only 180 pounds) but I'm willing to try anything to end this pain. Although I wouldnt consider myself a full time smoker ( only on weekends with a few beers)

I quit both drinking and smoking for 2 weeks and only ate fruit veggies and salad. I ate no meat or processed foods/sugar. We bought a juicer and made juice from only fruit and veg.

THIS WAS THE ONLY THING THING THAT WORKED.

After the 2 weeks were up I hung out with my friends got a little cocky because I was now feeling better. I went to the pub, had a few beers and ate pub food for the weekend and guess what. I was right back to square 1. Today I'm in huge pain and I've learned my lesson. I'm sticking to a healthy diet of fruits and vegetables and will no longer smoke or drink ( even though it was only 10 beer and maybe 10 ciggs the whole weekend)

That was the trick/secret.
FOR ME I just eat healthy, quit eating junk foods, processed meats, high in fat/sugar foods. Eat greens, vegetables drink lots of fresh juice from fruits and vegetables, Try it for 2 weeks and you'll see. You'll also quickly see how addicted you are to sugar. But remember YOU CAN DO IT.
You described my issue as well and after a recent endoscopy my G.I. Doc told me that I had an ulcer AND that my esophagus was shortened which can cause these gas pains in our chest.      Typically, though the esophagus becomes shortened from severe acid reflux which I do NOT have so it remains a mystery.     I'm sure certain foods and activities must trigger it but I can't find a pattern.    For home remedies I drink mint tea, do stretches that help me to burp and take gas x.     I was prescribed the same medication that you take but was told that is for my ulcer.  (Omeprazole Delayed release )  

If it also helps with the gas pains that I get in my chest that would be wonderful.
Hi all. Years ago I won a trip to Yellowstone River rafting and accidently gulped lots of water. I am a very sensitive individual and noticed the change intantly where I the pain in my upper stomach and chest would hurt and develop gas. I lived with this for close to five years where I wasn't able to eat full portion, gas, bloated, burping, unable to lay down, acid reflux, and not being comfortable with the pressure of wearing bras. When I wear a bra it felt hard to breath unless I wear one size too big which defeats the purpose of support. Later on about 5 years in, I may have been poisoned but my symptoms were not being able to take in liquids, food, and constantly throwing up. For every spoon of water I take in I would throw up 3x that amount. Thought I was a goner after a week of throwing up unable to intake anything.Er checked everything and says everything seems fine and put some bags of nutrients through my veins. Sent me home with vicodin to which I took for a week until the byproducts clogged my skin pores and I stopped. The pain came back, puking, fatigue, back to the er, but this time I was sent to a nurse practioner who took my complaints serious from day 1 which I told her about my trip to yellowstone and gulping nasty water followed by the symptoms. She decided to test for H. Pylori or Campylobacter pylori and it came back positive. I was relieved to have a name to cause of symptoms. So the treatment was pretty crazy smart and worked for my upper stomach pain and gas belching.  1) Starve the bacteria by not eating anything acid, no soda, no acids= no skittles, lemonades, fruits, hot pepper, anything with acidic substances for at least a month, 3 or 4 pills for two weeks  where one of those pills will be an acid blocker and two antibiotics who's job is to take eat or overtake the H.pylori.   Anyhow, I'm happy and no more tummy pains, however I fear I need to go back to nurse practioner because I do believe it also lives in my duodenum. More on why next time. So anybody with gas, bloating, pain after eating, discomfort in tummy regions whether upper or sides, ask your doc to do a breath and blood test for H.pylori because you don't have to wait til your body is overloaded with the bacterium and start puking like me 5 years later. Love, Peace, and happiness ya'all!
FOOD COMBINING is a big HUGE factor. Google it. It helps, everyone. Trapped gas is painful, depressing,
and needs to stop. Life is too short for intestinal gas. SUGAR, is bad, really bad. My 2 cents.
This is crazy. I'm 25 and I had my first panic attack a year ago. And I'm pretty sure it was caused by me having this problem. I've been to he er. Ekg while it's happening everything's fine. But pain and then thinking I'm having a heart attack is scary. I tell people I work with to keep an eye on me cause it'll just happen out of no where and I'll put my hand on my heart to see if it's beating (I know kinda stupid if I was having a attack i don't think I'd be holding my heart seeing if it's beating) but it calms me down enough not to panic as much. And it radiates to my shoulder arm abdominal area. And I've noticed shortness of breathe occasionally.

Another thing I've talked to my mom about this and one day she called me up and said she forgot that my grandmother had the same symptoms and it was determined to be a Heidel hernia... So I'm going to the dr again this coming week. Cause it scares the crap out of me and I can't do the things I like to do or work without fearing or panicking over it. I noticed gas ex works if I continuously use it but I don't think hats to healthy..
I have terrible sharp pains below my right rib cage.  I can't bear to move without pain.  I tried gas-x, antacids, massaging the area and still no relief.   I need a home remedy fast.  HELP!.
back in oct 2014 went to ER with chest pains which had stopped by the time the doc examined me, never had chest pains before, he did blood test which showed raised enzyme levels suggesting heart attack. didnt have anymore pain again, did go to Dublin for angio and surgeon inserted stent on the left cardiac artery at a tight bend in the vein.watched him do it on the telly. he said he thought it was where the problem was. I dont want to sound ungrateful but I have had similar pains in recent times and they are down to trapped air. Could I have had a misdiagnosis or are raised blood levels a definite heart attack.
im 29 ,had severe acidity months ago, went to see doctor, i was priscirbed omeprazole, took it for a month it worked fine so no more acidity,now its been almost a week i ve been experiencing  some stabbing pain around my left chest,heart,shoulder n the left arms ,i jus can't explain how worried ndepressed im now ,thinking as to be one of the heart attack candidates in future, i  feel comfy when burping oaut the air from the stomtache ,nd thts makes me happy thinking its nt a heart illness n telling myself its Gas tht causes the pain , got appointment with my doctor, scared enough
This may sound strange but after reading many posts, I see people saying that they belch/burp a lot. Well, that's my big problem. Think about a person who drinks a soda. So normally, within 2 or 3 or 4 mins, the person will have the involuntary habit to burp. Well, my problem is when any kind of air/gas wants to come up, the gas/air immediately gets stuck in a pocket in the middle under my ribs or lower lungs. I have to move in crazy contortions in order to press it up to break that bubble. Unfortunately, that singular episode can remain for minutes to hours without relief. This whole thing repeats itself at least 4 to 5 times a week. I've tried everything. The drs have no answers
An ADD ON
I also feel like I/m having a heart attack. If I'm watching a favorite TV program when this happens, I can't concentrate on the show. I can't continue eating. I can't sit still. I can't carry on a conversation after this happens. I walk around twisting and turning and bending over trying and  hoping the bubble will burst. Sometimes it does but more times then not it won't.
Sorry I/m sounding like a crybaby. I guess I'm just looking for a place to explain things. As far as what one dr said---it may be a sliding hernia but there's no test for that.
Have you had your gall bladder removed then get a check for pancreas or liver cancer my mum died of it and she suffered exactly as described for years after her gall bladder surgery and doctors ignored her because they should not have removed her gall bladder they know now it leads to problems
There is another possible explanation for trapped gas. I had a tumor inside my spine at T-3. The tumor was compressing spinal nerves that was interfering with the GI tract, bowel function, urinary function,and my ability to walk. It became almost impossible for me to have a bowel movement, and I could barely urinate. I got to where I couldn't pass gas rectally, but I was belching constantly. The stool was moving so slowly, there was plenty time for fermentation. I could only pass the gas upward. I belched frequently, long and loud. The gas was often trapped in my chest around my heart and left lung. It was very painful. I have since had the tumor in my spine removed and have gained much GI, bowel, and bladder functions, and I am walking better. I have noticed an increase of belching again with little flatulance and daily constipation. It may be a sign the tumor is growing back. I hope not. I hope this is not the cause behind this problem for any of you.
My wife suffers from this same symptoms ,,she went to so many doctor did so many tests, endoscopy and everything ok but not getting rid of this syptoms. anybody has any help please let me know
Hi All,
You guys have been fantastic. Like many others, I am so glad I'm not the only one!! Although, you do feel crazy of course. This all started for me about a year and a half ago. 29 years old. Very healthy. Since then, I've done Ultrasound, Endoscopy, blood tests, Pylori, ECGs, several trips to the doctor, omeprezole, etc. I noticed the two things that helped were: eating better (Paleo like diet to help reduce the gas, cutting down on coffee and fizzy drinks - and taking digestive enzymes...A LIFESAVER) and actually Zoloft (anti-depressants to help deal with the various panic attacks I have had that have only exacerbated this. I ruled that all of this is trapped wind that is pushing on my diaphragm making it difficult to breathe until I release it. I noticed they cut down significantly when I was on Zoloft and when I stopped it started to bother me again. Granted, I can deal with it better but for some reason I feel the fear only exacerbated things and numbing yourself to that actually helps loads. Also, check out your Vegus nerve. Yes, your heart is on your left side but so is your stomach. That nerve runs through both which means trapped air stuck in your stomach can push against the nerve, causing the left side issues and rapid heart beat and even dizziness. So many doctors have no idea about this because this is a holistic approach to the body, connecting different areas, both mind and body involved. Anyway, I hope this helps someone like your words have helped me. Definitely helped me in the right path in approaching a gastroenterologist when I kept getting scanned for cardiac stuff. Also, there's no shame in seeing a psychologist either. After all, gaining control back in your life is incredibly important when you feel like you've lost it and you're a relatively healthy person. OH and speaking of which, PROTEIN SHAKES and similar supplements can make this worse because of how your body digests them. Again, digestive enzymes help with this. Check out the FODMAP diet. It helps remove all the things that cause your body to react in a gassy manner. Remember, healthy food (broccoli does it worse for me!) doesn't mean it is something you should keep eating if you have these issues! Thanks again and good luck!
I found this website because I am suffering from this problem too at the moment.  Wind pain all in under my ribs, around the breast area and can feel it going round to my back as well.  It's not from Costochondritis as I suffer with that as well at times and that has to do with the cartilage in the rib cage, if I sit in a bad position and then go to move, the chest area can be locked in pain - that's Costochondritis.  This problem of trapped gas is SOMEthing else to contend with:).  I have a small blood pressure monitor, I just checked that and everything is perfect 121/73, no heart arrhythmia showing (sometimes it does) and heart rate 75 bpm so that was a relief but doesn't solve the problem of the pain and discomfort.  I think definitely it is coming from the colon, either spasm, diverticulitis or constipation and definitely anxiety and stress as I have been stressed over a few things in the last day or so.  Like some others here, I check what I have eaten - only thing I had earlier was an egg sandwich which I made myself.  It's so hard to know but I think it's definitely a digestion problem, hope nothing worse.  Planning on going to the GP any day now but sometimes you need to research these things as the doctors can only go with what what your telling them and I want to find a solution other than going for camera tests either direction.  Hope we can all find some help for each other!
6 months now having all of a sudden gas build up in the chest area, but it's in stomach and esophagus. Checked no ulcer or heart problem. Heavy pain, spreads to jaw. Belching would help but doesn't happen. Gets stuck and builds like a balloon. Could explode. So quite a bit of pain for several hours unless treated. Writhing.

Now take a light mixture of water and apple cider vinegar. Sip little at a time. Helps quite a bit. No medicine prescribed by my regular doctor or the ER doctor.

Used to happen 2-3 times a month first few months. Thought it was caffeine. Cut back tea from 4 cups to 2.  But I think it was the milk in the tea. Anyway, still on 2 cups of tea a day, no more.

By doctor's advice dropped regular milk, on Lactaid, avoiding most brand of cheese, certain fruits - cherry, certain greens - maybe spinach, certain veggies or legume.  Eggs sunny side up a precursor.

Yogurt OK.

Yogurt OK.
no i have no f####ing idea was hopeing u might know by now. i had it all night last night .. i could barely remember to breath. my stamache blew up wen i had a bf he would have to burp me like a child but now it moves from side to side i get so light headed even my hearing gets distorted and then thats when i feel as though i.m about to die i see black shaddows over me when its happening i even thought it was negative spirits pushing on me trying to blow my heart up....i,m at a loss i,m young i,m hot i live in vegas and i cant go out and do nothing because this is takeing over my life i even look at myself in mirror and i look grey wen its happening i do jumping jacks at 3am trying to get a tiny little burp out but then it comes right back even stronger!!! help
Hi everyone! I've found a great tea for gas pain!!!
It's made by Traditional Medicinals  called  " Gas Relief".
So far, it's working great for me and hope it does the same for you.
Love and Peace,
J
Thank you for your post on yoga solutions to trapped gas from April 2012. At 4AM I had already suffered over 3hours of terrible pain. This is something I had as a child frequently but had not had except occasionally for years. I am 63 now and had given up yoga practice after many years of intensive practice in myh20's and sporadic practice through my 30's and 40's, but back pain from excessive bending and cervical stenosis and radiculopathy through my 50s to present.
I knew there were yoga postures that would help, but have lost most of my flexibility and could not do them.  Your suggestions helped ease my pain and I was finally able to go to sleep towards morning.
I've had similar pains for a while now and usually sore next day followed by a few days of dark orange urine is there actually dr.s reading these or just a community of pain sufferers?????
I Also had same problem . Pain in chest left area hv been through so many ecg's , heart echo test , lipid profile, barium swallow, x-ray everything was fine  and i also had so many panic attacks.i was in depression and anxiety however the problem is still going on so later on  i started doing research on it and i found that it could be related to IBS(irritable Bowel syndrome) or this is your is anxiety which is triggering all these pain.
so i Found a solution for all this. i went to a Ayurvedic Doctor and he gave me some medicines which i have to take twice a days with honey and milk(Don't know why honey and milk) but the medicine start working after 10 days i was feeling much better than before but not completely then i talk to my doctor and he said that this gas problem will be completely cured within 4 months and he also told me to take a walk at least 15 minutes a day. but seriously i wasn't convinced so i researched more on this and one day found on you tube that swami ramdev was telling about gastrointestinal exercises and i was amazed to know that only doing KAPAL BHATI just 10-15 minutes a days will work for you the gas will be completely out from your body in just 15 minutes not just that if u do it regularly for at least 6 month it will cure you completely because KAPAL BHATI is meant for stomach exercise and as swami ramdev hv said that it will cure 99% disease in your body so just 15 Minutes of walk and 15 minutes of Kapal BHATI will change your life completely. if you found it useful just reply me!
Watch out for diarrhea from magnesium.  Magnesium is a muscle relaxer - you control your bowel tract with muscles...... **Light Bulb!!**    If you want to relax, you can also bathe in epsom salt - which is, of course, magnesium laden - that should help pretty quickly since you are absorbing the magnesium right into your pores.  You only need to soak for 15 minutes - your body gets what it needs in that period of time...  Anything over that time period, you body just gets rid of...
I have read all the pages on the "trapped gas" thread ... and I, like so many, have the same issues!  Granted so many of you have gone through horrible ordeals with the medical community (I am NOT knocking traditional medicine ;o)
~*~
I am 60 year old female.
~*~
My issue started Dec 2013 / Jan 2014 ... I had started Zumba classes a couple years prior, lost about 40 pounds, even became a Zumba Instructor because I loved it so much and the benefits were Great!  During this same time I was also undergoing dental issues ... I had signed up with my dentist to be her "subject" for dental implants at an extreme lower cost procedure ... and due to the issues in my mouth, I was more than excited to do this.  Had the surgery in November 2012 and then had everything "loaded" in December 2013 ... forward to January 2014 ... annual check up after years of PERFECT check ups ... had recently noticed "GAS" so I asked Doc what should I take for these bouts of gassiness ... him and his assistant both chimed in unison BEANO ... ok, sounds good ... I'll try.  
~*~
I am very much a "tuned in" person to my Body Temple.  No smoking (quit in 2003 cold turkey) No drinking alcohol (not even a beer) ... healthy eater for the most part, conscious of what I cook and eat ... mostly organics / natural and steer from GMO and nitrate anythings.  These horrible pains started on my lower right side that radiated to up under my shoulder blade, HOWEVER, once I belched, burped ... passed gas ... I was FINE ... albeit, the pain is debilitating!   All the "signs" pointed to gallbladder ... but, something just didn't "feel right" about that.  All the research I did just didn't FEEL right!  and as many of you know, you can conjure up just about anything when you are in so much pain!!
~*~
I have continued on today and going back, retracing everything ... it points to one thing ... otherwise, except for the DAILY TRAPPED GAS PAIN (mind you, once the gas is released, back to near Perfect)... I attribute my issue to my new "denture implants" ... EVERY TIME I eat, I Suck AIR ... all of that excess air goes right into the nooks and crannies (especially since I have lost the weight) and gets Trapped and mainly on my right side lower abdomen (right above pelvic bone radiating up to under my right shoulder blade) for the longest time I thought I had a torn/strained inner oblique muscles or something attributed to my Zumba classes.  I have KNOWN INTUITIVELY that it is NOT a "major disease" ... WHY?  because once the gas is passed ... I AM GREAT again ;o)
~*~
Now please understand ... I know that most people don't have dentures ... and I only have the bottom ... but, some people have partial dentures, teeth missing  ... a host of dental issues could attribute to this ... in EVERY post I read not one person brought this up.  No Doctor OR Dentist addresses this issue ...
~*~
If you have been tested and retested for Digestive Issues ... I implore you to look into dental issues ... knowing this I am making an appointment first thing tomorrow with my dentist to have these appliance refitted, realigned ... and if that does not work, I will seek a new dentist and have a new set made.  I have suffered long enough with this and truly it is all of you and your sharing that made this revelation even more prevalent!  I choose not to go and have all these procedures done with the possibility of having something removed ... I KNOW and so do You ... TRUSTING your "GUT FEELING" (no pun intended ;oP) ... if you have trapped gas, especially if you have had all these procedures done and everything comes up negative or they have you on all kinds of meds ... you are somehow SUCKING WAY TO MUCH AIR which is getting trapped causing you these pains ... now with that said, if you have serious issues and FEEL that something is seriously wrong ... do not hesitate to seek medical advice.  Almost every post on the "trapped gas" thread shared the same ... but, not one post attributed any of the issues to DENTAL issues!  I KNOW this is my problem ...
~*~
Your digestion begins in the mouth ... you have to have the correct digestive juices, enzymes ... for everything further down the pike to work in unison.  If something in your mouth is out of wack ... or has issue ... even a molar that has been removed and you chew, you are getting more "air" than normal!
~*~
I have tried them all ... jumping, hubs patting my back, hot water bottles, apple cider vinegar (ACV), alka seltzer, peppermint tea, gallstonex, beano, charcoal, essential enzymes, gas-x, mylanta, prevacid, painkillers and so and so on!  
~*~
It's always worse later in the day, night time ... better by morning and it starts all over again ... you've had a full day of "sucking air" and some or much of it has gotten trapped.
~*~
I feel the pains in the lower right, under the rib cage radiates up and under my shoulder blade (common for gallbladder issues), heart gets squeezed and palpitates for a bit, get flushed and sweaty from the bloating up like I'm 9 months pregnant ~~~ it's horrible!  and for some extremely scary!  
~*~
I hope this helps someone ... I knew when I finished 3 hours of reading the other thread ... I needed to share this and you can do your own research ... and most importantly, nobody KNOWS YOU like YOU DO ... Trust what you FEEL ... and go from there!  ;o)  (I am also a Spiritual Teacher) ~ LOL)
~*~
I am so Grateful for this site and ALL of you that shared your experiences on the other thread.  I am going to post this post on that one too ... I wanted to share a NEW thread bringing my issue to current time!  I will come back and share what happens!  ;o)
courty
Dont let the know it all drs tell you its anxiety they love giving that out as a diagnosis because it gets the problem away from them i saw a cardiologist today for constant palps n chest and aorta pains and as usual i got treated like a sheep and told its anxiety and panic attacks even though they only started when i saw a massage therapist for a bad back he has destroyed my life non stop chest pain n palps nothing show on test
You Need a EKG,,Its sounds like Your Heart,,does your jaw hurt?? any pain that you described is NOT GOOD ,,Please Dont look at this as Minor Gas Pain~~ Doesn't sound good,,GOD Bless
I've had this. Been to ER. "Anxiety". Wrong!! Trapped air! IBS!  = horrible pain, extremely terrifying. - Solution? Oatmeal for breakfast, lots of water during the day. Next day, yogurt and granola. Next day cereal with banana (rice/soy milk if you are sensitive to dairy). Rinse and repeat. No cokes/sodas. --- I'll repeat, OATMEAL. It helps diarrhea, and constipation. Wonder food. This pain will quit once you clean your diet up. Also, try to have some fruit on the side with your oatmeal if you're feeling extra froggy. Incorporate salads slowly into your diet. To fast will irritate the IBS, so small salad every other day, with your meal till you can eat them every day with a meal. No fried foods. --- Fennel tea with honey. Most Walmarts sell, "Mothers Milk" tea, it has plenty of Fennel. This will help bring relief during flare ups. 'Throatcoat' tea also has Fennel. I use both. --- You're welcome. Get well soon.

Regards,

CyrusVanB
Acid