Respiratory Disorders Community
can trapped gas cause soreness, sharp or stabbing type pains in chest?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Viewing 201-312 comments:
Same symptons here with trapped gas. It even hurts in my jaws. I have to rub under rib cage and change positions. Feels like a heart attack. When it comes, I think I have anxiety and it gets worse. I had this for 10 yrs before then lost 50 pounds and exercised. It was all gone until the past few yrs when the weight started to come back on. With just 40 lbs back on it is awful. I think the key is to not gain weight and to exercise. Certain sugary or dairy foods cause a lot of gas anyway.
Hi i constantly have this its terrible ive recently benn hospitilizide becuase off it. I take peppermint tea, also gaviscon, and even windeeze tablets from chemist that usualy takes my pain away. I simpathise with you as its terrible i hate trapped wind. Also sets off my anxiety and panic attacks xx
Glad to have come across this site.  I've suffered with this same problem on and off for about 20 years. Not been able to find what triggers it.  I can go for months on end with no problems and then it comes on out of the blue. Sometimes I can be walking around, other times asleep in bed and get woken up by it. First couple of times I got it I thought it was a heart attack because of how suddenly it comes on, and the pain is always right in the centre of my chest and just under my ribs on the left side, but after some indigestion tablets and about 20 mins of vigorous rubbing of the area, eventually it shifts and comes out as a burp and then the pain subsides.  Good to know I'm not the only one that suffers these symptoms. Wish I could find a way to stop it happening though.
Hi' i had the same symptoms and it turned out to be pulmonary embolism
you can suggest this to your doctor,its a blood clot usually in the lungs.
Good luck.
Hi'i had once had the same symptoms and it turned out to be pulmonary embolism which is a blood clot usually in the lungs arteries,you can discuss
this with your doctor since its fatal and most a times symptoms differ from one patient to another and are very confusing,i never had of this before until  i was diagnised now am fine,but i was on blood thinners for one year'all the best.
u need to start taking magnesium, theyre cheap and fix everything. For anxiety take some dhea, doctors dont ever mention these because theyd go broke. i suffered from alot of disorders including hair loss, and since i started these, i dont suffer from hardly anything. it isnt over night, but in a week, you should see results. its worth a shot:)
Try eating a banana! I literally had all the same symptoms as everyone else, chest pains in the middle of my chest and difficulty breathing due to the pain. i just had a banana as they are known to aid bloating and gas. worked a treat for me im feeling much better now!
What kind of magnesium? there is citrate.. which i am taking. also oxide, and a few more. Which kind do u take?  Thanks, Rita
When I was a little girl i used to get them alot and my  mom would make me a hot tea of estafeate which is in spanish but dont know what the name in english. It makes you burp it out. Im about to get a hot tea right now because i have been suffering from it since saturday.
I get some strange stabbing pinching feelings in my chest and sometimes they kind of take the wind out of my sails..MAke me light headed, I think it's anxiety of not know wtf is going on with that but it is nice to see some people have the same symptoms and have been told it's noting overly serious..My question is have you or anyone else gotten any tips about how to make it go away entirely?
Totally relieved to have found I am not alone or going nuts!  I have had so many ECG's; Endoscopies. Shygnoscopies... I was on heart meds for two years; I now take Lansoprazole .... none of it make any difference. Sometimes I just sit and cry and think I will probably die. No one (medical) seems to care. They certainly do not understand the horrendous fear this problem brings on. Why is there no research being done to find a  cause and a cure? Thanks you to everyone who has posted - perhaps I will not die tonight! At least not from the pain in my chest.
I guess the best cure for this is avoidance and I have discovered that for me it is caused by too much fatty food such as a nice English greasy spoon breakfast (i.e. bacon, eggs, sausage etc in too much oil or fat) or too much foie gras or other similar rich things. Sometimes I still get caught out by unexpected things - tonight I suspect really dark chocolate. Maybe it then progresses via a leaky gut letting the gas out into the chest cavity. I never found anything to shorten the period of pain but can follow its progress around my rib-cage then up the front of the breast bone until it is burped out - usually in a tiny amount of air. If I suspect a food without knowing from experience I try to drink wine with it.
I'm also going through the same thing...
Pain down my left arm, stabbing pains on my chest heart area and my back!
When rubbing around my breast area it feels like lumps but moves in the direction I rub also feels like I want to burp but refuse to release!

I have however started a diet, and I don't eat much, could this be hunger winds??

Please let me know if anyone has had it after starting a diet??

Thanks for all the comments it's comforting to know I'm not the only one suffering these symptoms.

Jo-Anne
Sounds like many of you might be suffering from Costochondritis (kos-toe-KHON-dri-tis) It took me two years of suffering and many hours of internet searching to find this.  Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do about it.  Hope this helps.
Thank goodness I found you.  It all started after having been diagnosed w/ acute bronchitis.  
Don't know if it is related but just posting in case someone can relate
.Experienced sharp pain in chest  4 weeks after catching a cold which led to bronchitis.
Trapped gas in my chest cavity is my guess also.  In ER last week after fainting spell at school. EKG, blood work and X-Ray were all normal.  I am a 50 yr old gal and Hosp Dr and staff said I was very healthy.  After reading Hava's post I did the exercise and experienced some relief, temporarily.   I see some posts mention food ties...If there is anyone w/ similar story please post so we can help each other and others.  I am highly gluten sensitive and it could be I had a gluten food unbeknown to me which may have caused trapped gas?  I am also extremely sensitive to corn, soy and all packaged and canned items which I haven't eaten in about 8 years due to the dangers of preservatives, and other chemicals not to mention the insecticides and pesticides in the original vegetable/fruit if not organic.  I also go to Raw Food Prep classes and hope to increase my raw food consumption to about 85 % to see if this helps. It will eliminate the consumption of grains of which some are primarily GMO's. PLZ LMK if there are any connections to your story.  Woke at 2 this a.m. to trapped gas and having trouble getting back to sleep because gas won't go away and I have to face and entertain 135 children this morning!

I googled Costochondritis and they did provide some solution such as baking soda and water [1/2 tsp to 1/2 c respectively]  and or ibuprofen to reduce swelling.   Thank you for the heads up on the diagnosis.
This all sounds too familiar. At first, I would have the chest and lower back pain, sometimes pain in the arm and leg (left side). I ruled out heart issues because it seemed to happen not too long after I ate. So there are a few things I do to "manage" it. First, I drink wheat grass in the morning (which is great). Then, anytime I have a meal, I follow it up with enzymes. And I must say, no stomach issues, back issues are heavily minimized, but the chest and arm pain come and go. I could take a Tums, which seems to work, but I would like to give my body a chance to fight the issue on its own unless I really need it. And lets not forget exercise, which is great for gas relief.
Thanks for the tips :) got relief , thanks once again
It seems that there are varying possible diagnoses within this topic.  My issue specifically started with waking with what I believed was simply a pinched nerve.  The pain in my underarm/breast area gradually worsened throughout the day, and then even more so if I bent over toward my toes.  It referred to my neck and shoulder and I had a horrible sleep.  I noticed that I also had lost of gas (burping) which would oddly relieve my pain a little. The next day, I had a bm and the pain was completely gone!  I wasn't constipated, to my knowledge, as I had been going throughout the week... Anyhow, I have the same problem again, one week later.  It is disconcerting because there are so many possible issues. I am convinced that mine is stress related. This time having a bm has not completely relieved the pain though, and I can feel, and see!, bubbles popping in my bicep region.  I did read on a medical site, that Vitamin C tablets can cause gas, and I had been taking them daily for the last two weeks due to many people around me being sick and not wanting to catch anything (I just don't have time for that!).  So, a combination of stress and maybe not putting the right things in my body.  I am going to try acidophilous (sp?) yogurt and fennel seeds, along with the yoga positions mentioned previously.  I'll let you know how it goes.  
This might throw some light:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC181226/
I have had the same prob over the last few yrs. Even had to new taken to ER each time. Its like a pocket of air caught in the middle of my chest. When I lay down, I feel it in my back & it hurts. Its uncomfortable to breathe. Sitting up didn't help either..I take lamas like breaths & it eases discomfort for a bit but its not enough.
only way of getting rid of it (for me) was this ER "cocktail" which was maalox & anesthesia. Once I took that, thry have me a muscle relaxer & anti inflammatory.  That's all that works for me.
I have a really severe case of GERD. Spicy, fried or acidic food will set it off. I'm suppose to take anacid everyday & keep my weight down (heavier you are, the worst it is) but sometimes I slip into a comfort zone & then this happens.
..
Hi Terry-I am very interested in this product as Ive been having severe pain,chest and burning across back-also pain mid back.I am full of wind and have now got to the place where Im not eating anything much(had a ripe banana only today and a soya milk fluffy).Do my symptons sound similar?
I live in NZ and am hoping to find it here.
Yvio
I also have te same problem I have constant chest pains *** well as body numbness and tingly feelings I've had 9 ER visits in the past 2 months and they all said it was anxiety and depression but why do I keep having constant chest pain ? I wake up with it and it doesn't go away until I go to sleep I mean it is constant I've had blood test EKG, and chest X-rays they all came back fine
I've also had this thing where every morning I'd wake up and burp it hurts to have sex it's like he's poking something in the low part of my stomache on the left side ??
Shel76 how are your chest pains now reading your post it sounds just like mine except my wife is not a nurse so am really curious how things are for you or if you found a cure ??
I have the same problem ..and I am in good shape too one thing is stay away from protein powder eat it from the food like chicken or fish but not too much also if you have gas coming out dont hold it let it out ... and mint tea would help. Drink mint tea for one week you will see the deference ......  
Hey everyone! I'm so pleased I've found you! I woke up last night with short stabbing pains in my chest, I've had severe heartburn for about 3 days now, I feel like I can't breathe when this pain comes and goes! I've totally cut out wheat from my diet in the last 6months, i was rushed to er in feb of this year with numbness in the left arm, chest pain and heart palps! I had a chest X-ray, ECG and holter monitors! The lot! I was also told it was anxiety! Does anyone else get really bad heartburn in the centre of the chest as well as these spasms under left rib cage? X
I am an officer w 20 years of alcohol drinking and spicy Caribbean foods. A few months ago I was rushed to the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack right after I ate lunch. They tested my heart, ran on a treadmill to stress test me, and had an Echo-cardiogram. everything was fine but the heart doc said i may have gstro problems. i did an EGD and they saw Gastritis in my stomach. They gave me acid reduce meds ACiphex and Omeprazole 40mg. That reduced the acid but I still had severe gas that feels like it wants to stop my heart! I went thru Anxiety and feared I would die if I fell asleep so i would drink Licorice and Peppermint tea to relieve the gas. I feel better after I burp and pass gas. I also take Manuka Honey to coat my stomach lining and help my stomach issues. Now my doctor says I have Gas/Pressure issues which is totally seperate from the acid problems. He prescribed anything with Semithicone in it like GasX. Now when i feel like the chest tightness is coming I run and take a Omeprezole 40mg and a GasX pill and 5minutes later it goes away. I want this all to go away and have no gas.
I have these same pains. I havent had one in over a year until tonight. The last time I had one I hurt so bad I was crying and I seriously thought I was having a heart attack it lasted for 30 minutes and I was hurting so bad my husband rushed me to the ER. By the time the stupid doctors finally tookme to to a room it had stopped and the Dr. took forever to come in and talk to me.. He ran no tests he just told me that since it went away it was just gas. (What a wasted visit) The next day I had another one while I was at work. Luckily, it didnt last but about 5 minutes and I was able to stayat work, so when I got off I went to my family doctor and she sent me to have a chest scan and an upper GI done... These came back with no heart problems and no gall bladder problems. She said the only thing tat she can come up with is that I have severe gas pains. She prescribed me something, and told me that if I started feeling itcoe in again to take it and sit down til it passed. The meds she gave me really helped but I quit havig them and have not had one for over a year until now.. I have got to go back and getme some more of whatever it was because I dont have the prescription any longer. Whenever these pains come on it feels like sharp stabbling pains in my heart and it feels like the wind has been knocked out of me at the same time but Im able to breathe. Im not trying to be nastywhe I say this but the onlyway I can make it feel better is to go to the bathroom and throw up as much as I can then sit there and rock back and forth doing the lamaze breathing and try to belch and try to pass gas, either way it still takes it a while to pass mostof the time. I have only had the one time back before I went to the doctor that it lased only about 5 minutes. I will post on here as soon as I find out what she prescribed me.. this was the only thing that I have found to help at all!

***MissississippiGirl85***
omg, i have suffered from trapped gas for several years.....it usually starts off with a gall bladder attack, then nausea, and the the bletching starts and the shoulder/arm neck pain sometimes the jaw i always think it's a heart attack but the expelled gas tells me difference.  i do know that most of the time i have not made a bowel movement for several days so I try to treat that with stool softeners, now i am using digestive enzymes and they have worked wonders.  beano is one example but just google it and you're find some great ones on Amazon.  They really help, except when I am having a bad bout like now.

a friend said heat packs help, does anyone else think so?
where do you find the bitter leaf at to buy at a store?
Hi thecoin169  try immunocal it did wonders for me and it is all natural and it is in the PDR , REDBOOK that sits on every doctors desk but they dont tell you about it because it is natural   LOL If you would like to email me great if not that is ok to just passing on what I found and it is great for all diseases
***@**** Have a great one
Hi Pammilicous  Yes the heat pads do help but boy I know what you go through I just started having these gas pains when I went off wheat and gluten and when I eat now I fill really full and the gas pains start ......I should have stayed on wheat and gluten but that bothers me also This is not fun Good Luck with yours
KeeKeep  Did you say that you just went off wheat and gluten as since I have also and have been having lots of gas and pains in stomach does anyone else have this or is it a detox
In the name of God, I thank all of you, especially to I_HATE_ANXIETY and natrat1980.

My wife also had sever intermittent stabbing pain between the ribcage and it would move to below the right breast.  It first started off from the centre of the ribcage. A year gone by and no one could find any problem. We did ECG scans, blood tests, etc, even though we knew it could not be the heart because of the pain was a moving pain (though more often it was at the centre of the ribcage, LIKE a heart pain). Most of the time, it would be at the centre of the ribs. ECG's were done, blood tests, diet checks, nothing was found to help explain.

Eventually we spoke to Dr Shakira Ismail in South Africa and she gave a similar diagnoses and prescription as explained by natrat1980.

The diagnoses is costochondritis.  We were advised to get Nexium 20mg 1 daily before meals, 2 mypaid (twice daily), Azor 0,5 mg (1 immediately and one at night). Voltaren Gel to apply and heat pack.

(Before trying this out, get you doc to confirm if you got Costochondritis, else you looking for trouble - dont be a "cowboy" - you tried everything else so it wont hurt one last time to get your doc to confirm, before you try it.)

The reason for writing is give thanks to natrat1980 for sharing and to  I_HATE_ANXIETY for facilitating :-)
I'm having a cross between acid reflex and some really intense chest pains. The chest pains are sudden and quick. It truely feels like someone is blowing up a balloon in my chest then deflating it. There is no sharp pains. Its all pressure pains. And its in my back and middle of chest. I'm 24. With no previous health issues.its been 3 days now. I woke up today and it seems to be ok.. I had a small pain once tho. I read a lot of people have sort of similar. But does anyone have this pressure? I thought it was gas. The pain makes my body jolt and back arche until its done. It hurts. Plz help
WOW!!! I thought I was the only one with bad situation. I've been dealing with this for about a year and have been given every anxiety medicine under the roof. I have been taking 25 mg of Zoloft for about 15 yrs and have never had a problem. I also took .25 mg of Ativan but not a lot, usually on a plane or a large crowd like yankee Stadium just ensure no panic attacks. It would take a year to go thru 60 pills of Ativan.

In October of 2011, I woke up with a shooting pain in my chest near my armpit(kinda on the left of my nipple) now I have had a panic attack a few times before and it never felt like this. Just like everyone else, I'm sure I started to panic and after about an hour of this, I went to the ER. My BP was 220/160....After an ekg which was completely normal they  were tellin me it was just an anxiety attack and gave me valium and told me to see my Dr asap.
I went to  my dr and needless to say he increased my Zoloft to 100(took about a month to get there) increased my Ativan to 1 mg and added buspar. Did this for about a month with zero results. Same burning like chest pain but now I was feeling it in my left arm under bicep.
Switched to celexa 40 mg...nothing. A month later no change so they prescribed Ambien cause I couldn't sleep.

October 2011...By now I have gone to the Dr about 15 times in a year... had 3 EKG's, Bloodwork 2x's, Chest Xray, Amitriptyline(anxiety/sleep), Trazodone(sleep), Fexerill(muscle relaxer), Hydralazine, 3 BP medicines(one made me cough and other made me depressed) Meloxicam(anti inflammatory), Zoloft(anxiety), Ambien, Celexa(anxiety/derpression), Buspar(anxiety/depression) and saw a neurologist to make sure it wasn't a pinched nerve. Nothing changed...Its now over  a year later and this is the first time I have heard of trapped gas in your chest.
I started taking gas X, ginger root, magnesium and a muscle relaxer in case its a spasm. Its been since Jan 28th 2013 that I started doing all this. I'm praying this works cause I'm not sure how much longer I can do this. It's really debilitating and has made me not want to go anywhere. The pain ***** but it's the panic that follows that's overwhelming. Plus its the not knowing that makes it so bad...can't count the nights I have been up all night and asking WTF is going on...hopefully its as easy as just trapped gas opposed to all the other things I googled lol
I cannot believe the response on this question, I am a 45 year old female, I lost my job in august 2010 due to anxiety disorder, severe panic disorder, agoraphobia among other issues. I am now on disability. Last year I had an upper GI and was diagnosed with GERD, esophogitus (sorry about the spelling) the acid from my stomach sits in my esophogus, so i have to sleep sitting up. I have been having chest pains like there is a little person in there grabbing me from the inside, it goes under my arm and sometimes down my arm. two days ago i thought i was having a heart attack, i was sweating, felt sick to my stomach, dizzy and my heart was pounding fast. I had seen my Doc a few weeks ago and she told me i was experiencing gas. I had never had gas pains like this before ever in my life and i think anxiety has a bit to do with it also. I enjoy reading these posts knowing I am not the only one that suffers from this. Something that helped me the other day was laying on the floor, listening to calm music and doing light stretches, and i even did some crunches, I got up went to the bathroom to comb my hair and put makeup on to take my mind off it and I started burping and passing gas in other ways and had a bowel movement and about 5 or 10 minutes later the feeling was gone. I am now experiencing it again, I hate the dizzy, sick feeling. These comments help my anxiety knowing i am not dying from heart problems, heart issues run in my family so its very scary for me. I hope my comment gives someone else peace of mind.
guess I will stop eating trail mix for awhile. LOL
Last yr at this time I was havin discomfort on left side of chest to lower shoulder n thought maybe I was coming down with flu which I never had, so that was that n didn't feel these symptoms again until thanksgiving time n now discomfort has been on n off since new yrs day. I went to doctor n he said I was fine, he told me my cholesterol was a little high n to stay away from certain foods such as spicy stuff, caffeine , alcohol, red meat for a while n told me to take tums n Zantac..that was 2weeks ago n I,m still feelin discomfort so I made an appt with cardio doctor this Monday n hope it's nothing more than gas issues..I,m 46yrs old n never had health issues n always in good physical shape n this has me very concerned..my wife tells me I overdue things way to much n maybe my 46yr old body is tellin me to slowdow..lately I been stayin away from certain foods, no more red meat n energy drinks which gave me a scare couple of months ago, but today I went to eat my favorite Mexican food n soon after I felt those awful symtoms (symptoms), my wife gets mad at me because I overdue the hot sauce on everything since I was 17, I love the stuff but its time to change things around here..just concerned n frustrated with these symptoms....,
I have been experiencing some of the same issues as some of you on this board. I wake up after about an hour of sleep with my heart racing. I always assume heart attack, that sets off anxiety and then I chew on some baby aspirin in case it is a heart attack. I go downstairs and pace back and forth in my living room pleading with god to please make this be anxiety and gas and not a heart attack. This has happened to me probably 4 times in the last several moths. I usually take a Xanax and some Pepto but the fullness in my chest does not go away for about an hour. I go to bed and then wake up the next day thanking god that it was gas and anxiety. I get a pins and needles feeling in my back and face and my neck feels a burning sensation. I also feel like my legs are shaking but the are not. I wonder if people who do not experience panic attacks also feel the same way after gas attacks like this. It seems to be a common denominator though. If you have gas problems it brings on the anxiety. The funny thing about anxiety is that you don't necessarily have to be feeling stressed to have an attack. This is why I feel like it is a heart attack every time. Although we all know this is most likely a panic attack we tell ourselves that this it, the big one. I do think the panic attacks have made me more aware of my health and trying to stay healthy so they dont come back. It can be a curse and a blessing at the same time. Quitting smoking has really helped me alot with anxiety but I still have my moments. I am glad this board is here to give us all a little comfort that we probably are not having heart related issues.

Dave
I have the same problem it hurts when I breath in please help.
Im so glad i came across this post.Ive been in the hospital got a stress test done and and nuclear test came back fine about 3 weeks ago I was then released after 32 hr had a heart moniter on me.I thank god it came back fine,Ive suffered with aniexty for years started when i was 8 im 44 now.I have GERD,the pain in the chest is so scary after i belch it goes away i belch so much but,it still  throws me into a aniexty attacks.If any one has any ideas to help with this pls help.I just wanna be myself again. My poor husband and family have to hear me talk about it all the time.
My trapped gas came on very suddenly 6 months ago.   I went to the ER thinking i was having a heart attack.   it is always in my upper chest up by my shoulder blades, neck and sometime arms. Lower intestines working fine and dandy!  I do burp alot, but never get any real relief. I can feel and hear the gas moving up and down in my esophagus.   I have had up and lower GI's done, EKG & stress test, all fine.   I have appt. with my cardiologist next week to figure out next step. I do not have anxiety problems, reasonably good health, could lose 30 pounds though.      
Hey, it sounds like you have precordial catch syndrome. Check it out.
Precordial catch syndrome. Check it out.
I love that I found this. I've been dealing with this problem for the last couple of years too. My husband things I'm weird. I'm just glad I'm not the only one. My doctor concluded it was anxiety, but I think the gas brings on the anxiety since I spend many nights wondering if THIS time its a heart attack. Even if I'm too young. And healthy. Its crazy.
The thing that bothers me the most is my inability to get a full breath in. The rest I can live with, but I hate the pressure I feel in my chest and while I can take a deep breath, it just doesn't feel like a full breath. It makes me feel short of breath. Ugh.
I've been fine for quite awhile and can't figure out what I'm eating that causes it, but I just started eating bran at breakfast and using protein powder again after a break from it. I'm going to cut both those out and try a few other things. Thanks to everyone who has shared this story. I can't tell you how good it is to know I'm not the only one that deals with this.
I just started having that. I feel like there is a locked burp and my bowels are sluggish. I eat lots of fibre and have regualar movements, but I have GERD. It seems that once a week I have to take a laxative to clean out. It always hurts when I burp. I eat healthy but sometimes I eat chocolate and pastry. Not really a sweet tooth person and I seldom drink alcohol. Did your symptoms go away ?
Was wonder if you ever got an answer... cuz this is exactly what i just went threw... mine was anxiety and start of depression
Gas pains mimic a heart attack and I've had both, gas & a heart attack.  If these pains you feel goes to your jaw, you get dizzy and vomit, tingling and numbness in arms from shoulder to elbow, fatigue, along with these chest pains; you maybe having a heart attack not gas.  As for relieving the gas, I don't have an answer.  If anyone does, PLEASE TELL ME.
I've been having most of these symptoms for the past 5-6 months and they scared the **** out of me at first.  After the 3rd for 4th time, once I realized it was a reoccurring feeling, I went to the local walk-in center and got my heart/lungs checked out.  Everything came back fine, though it still took me 5+ more episodes after that to convince myself the doctors were correct and I wasn't dying.  I have a short list of what I've discovered regarding these symptoms, hopefully it could help some of you:
-  Heavy drinking, without fail, triggers these symptoms the following day with the hangover.
-  I have found that Ginger Ale or clear carbonated beverages help with releasing some of the pressure by burping a lot.
-  I have also found that GasX seems to work wonders for these symptoms.
-  When I have the symptoms at night along with the anxiety I will take a melatonin to help get me to sleep and not focusing on the chest pressure and gas pains.
-  Lastly, I found out the hard way never to take Zantac with alcohol in your system, even the next day.  Immediately caused my head/face to get hot/tingly and vomited like crazy for a couple hours.
-  Sometimes its hard to separate what symptoms the gas is causing and what the anxiety is causing so try to stay calm and get the gas taken care of.  

Best of luck!
Hello,  My name is Judith.  I, too, suffered from the horrible pain in the rib cage, chest, heart area ... thought it was gas for years.  Eventually ended up in an ER where some smart Doctor ordered a gall bladder scan.  It showed the gall bladder was full of tiny stones which occasionally would get caught in the bile duct ... this was what caused the pain ... and then eventually the caught stone would clear and pass on through the duct ... end of pain.  I had the gall bladder out (very easy laproscopic surgery for me) and have never had the pain again.  Just like everybody else, I thought if was trapped gas and my own general practitioner doctor just kept prescribing over the counter aids.  Hope you are feeling better already ... just wanted to share my experience ..as I remember how painful and scary the attacks were.  Cheers!
I have the same symptoms and have had it for 2 days now....I am so miserable. Ended up in the ER last fall and they gave me something called a GI cocktail which took it right away....but I no longer have insurance and can't go go to Er everytime it happens...hurts worse to be up walking around...so lay dwn and try to rest. Yes, I have been dieting for the past week and now it came on 4 days into the diet....just not fair...no one understands how this feels....makes me think I'm having a heart attack,the pain is so unbearable. I did discover that club soda will help get the gas out in the form of a BURP..
Try apple cider vinegar.  Look it up.  Nasty stuff, but when nothing helped me I came across a website on Apple Cidar Vinegar.  Apparently, helps to digest food, helps with gas....I often burped after I took it, but I felt better after about 10-20 minutes of taking it.....sometimes I had immediate relief.  Doctor also showed me an abdominal massage for gas/constipation (you can look it up on YouTube as well).  Other times, I lay down on my back and get in the fetal position, then try to put my knees over my head as much as I can.  Works wonders (I got made fun of all the time by my family until my sistEr had the same problems!  Now she does it all the time).  
Don't forget little tricks like propping up your bed (so your head is elevated).  Some other wonderful advice I got was to NOT drink water with a meal.  It doesn't help it break down the food....which then causes more gas and/or heartburn.  
Many of you are complaining about shoulder pain.....make sure you see a doctor about your gallbladder!  My sister had many of the symptoms that are on here, and it turned out to be all from the gallbladder.  Good luck!  Try the Vinegar (make sure you dilute with water or apple juice)!
Hi every one, nice to know I'm not on my own with my problems. been suffering for years with gastric/trapped wind/
chest pains. I have really bad GERD! and have to watch what I eat and drink! certain foods sets it off, even antibiotics! been to A@E so many times over the years I've lost count. been on antibiotics for a week due to a tooth infection and WOW! my whole body has gone nuts! I've had trapped wind in my chest, can't stop burping and passing wind.....
I'm 57 live in London, very stressful place to live IMO. my problem is I smoke and love red wine, LETHAL!
been diagnosed with anxiety and sad. been told my anxiety makes my problems worse. tried to stop smoking and give up the red wine and it made me so stressed my symptoms increased ten-fold. I never have two days the same
I either feel like crap or fantastic, even though I watch everything I eat and drink. because of this I get so tensed my
mussels in my neck and shoulders go into spasm's and cause me more grief. getting really fed up with it, so I'm
now on a mission to get fit and lose a few pounds...
i have pain that travels from chest to rectum for several years. have had several tests all normal. i have discovered that swallowing water will help stop the pain, very strange any idea what this could be. the pain is incredible feels like i may die. does anybody have anything close to this?
I'm so glad I found you all. I have been suffering since last year from this . I have to the hospital so many times because of how scary this is and they all said that everything is normal. It would just come out of no where and have me light headed and cost pains in my chest and left sound and give me a feeling like I can't breath. Its so bad sometimes that i can hardly do anything even worst I have developed anixeity along with this. Just a horrible feeling even my left arm and neck hurts at times from this.
I'm going through exactly this been to the ER over 15 times and they called it anxiety . Gave me gerd pills etc nothing works and the numbness pins and needles ec. i even had pain in neck and jaw. so scary and it hurts because you only can sit there and take it.
Omg ... Im going throgh an attack right now. This is the 4th time in theblast year. Its the most painful thing Ive expereinced. Twice i went to the ER but they were not too much help. My pain lasts for about 3 hrs. I hope this subsides soon. Have not slept a wink tonight. My pain starts as a small upper back pain and then concentrates in the right diaphram very painful. No pain killers help. I hope i cna find a solution soon.
One of the doctor's I saw advised me to check for gall stones for this kind of excessive gas and acidity. I havent gone for the test yet but I am going to get it done first thing tomorrow morning. Maybe this helps.
Use white carrot in food , best and perfect treatment for all stomic problems especially Gas and Chest burning...........

***@****
I had the same similar problems.. had my endoscope early this year and doctors diagnose me with H-Pylari and gave me the correct medication even though i have visited doctors dozens of times before.. which i believed it was also caused by GERD..  Gaviscon helps temporary..

1) Feels like a heart attack
2) Numbness on my left leg and sometimes my right shoulder / neck
3) A sharp pain at the back below of my shoulder after the endoscope
4) Severe cramp while driving which cause my hand and front neck and back of my neck to felt tingling and numb
5) Anxiety and panic attack
6) No confident to drive long distance or worst stuck in a traffic jam
7) Not in the mood to walk at shopping areas
8) Found that jogging helps to relieve the pain on my back
9) Short of breath.. feels like your heart are punctured / double pumped and it will last about 5-15 minutes depending on how calm i could be..
10) Heart racing ... blood pressure shoots up
11) Shoulder felt uneasy
12) The more i read / ppl mentioning about this symtoms (symptoms) it will become worst
13) Avoiding death topic / movies in related to death
14) Couldn't sleep ..waking up at wee in the morning and couldnt sleep from then on
15) Keeping calm like playing mobile games on concentrating on something i like to do helps to overcome the pain and anxiety
16) Heartburn
17) Avoid stress at work
18) 24/7 burping which cause me to feel dizzy
19) Couldnt stand cold areas / room / cinema..

So any of you a heart attack victim?  I have all these pains and actually had a heart attack 6 years ago - Widow Maker.  The problem I have is trying to figure out what is real and what is these pains that all of you describe without going broke from going to the ER to get checked out.  I have seen to stomach doctors to no avail and the last one said it was coronary artery disease and told me to go read a book.  I am heading back to my heart doctor next week as the sheer agony for the last year has been far overwhelming.  

Do any of you notice the symptoms lasting more than a few hours?  I seem to go for about a day and really don't want to do much when I do have the pains.  
For everyone that is actually having the extreme gas pain in the upper stomach, chest and neck area. ( there seems to be a lot of other things people are having here too ) Keep a  HIGHLY carbonated canned drink around and save it for these gas attacks.  Drink about half the can and try to swallow air with it.  The pain will just about instantly go away or soon after when you burp.  I swear it works like a charm,  I get these debilitating gas  pains pretty often and it works great.
you right steve gax x is good for gas.
I tried this home remedy for trapped gas - 1 Glass of Warm Water, 1/t Tsp of Ginger Powder, 1/2 Tsp of Black Salt, 1/2 Tsp of Asafoetida (Hing).  Mix well and have 1 Glass per day.  You will get relief in about 15 minutes
I have what they call 'Silent Gerd'  I have lots of 'air,' gas' etc.but usually don't have 'heart burn'  , they put me on the 'little purple pill' , but found out that the side effects are 'sucking your magnesium' so I cut back on it (purple pill) and  started on an OTC magnesium, my last two blood workups, said the magnesium was almost normal! (it had been abnormal for a year!)  I take the little purple pill, but only a couple times a week.  Oh yes, did I mention I have Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension ?  doing OK right now on Ciallis, and another drug called Lataris.  surprising the Dr.s who give little hope for improvement let along survival after 2-8 years!  Fooling them right now, not sure why, but I'll take it!

I also have theese symptoms...but mine are in the area of my upper back between shoulder blades also feels like it is pushing through to middle of chest right between my breasts...please if there is any remedy let me know. Thanks
Sounds just like what I've experienced two days ago and again today.  First time I was driving home and was in excruciating pain in my upper torso, like I was going to explode. It cam on suddenly, and hurt between my shoulder blades, through my chest, and esophagus. It got so bad, I broke out in a cold sweat, and came close to throwing up.  Got home finally and was in horrible pain and then did throw up. I assumed it must have been food poisoning, although it wasn't centered in my stomach or intestines.  After about four and a half hours, it had subsided enough so I could go to sleep.  Felt fine yesterday and this morning. Until I was on the plane and the doors shut, and it hit again. For an hour on the plane, I felt the same sensations of a bloated upper torso, back pain, chest discomfort, and again came really close to throwing up just as we were about to land. Once I got into the terminal, it passed and I've been fine ever since. This time, I nearly fainted, too.  I chewed ice cubes, which helped a little, and then took a Tums in the terminal. The only common denominator was that in both cases it hit me about an hour after eating, although what I ate was entirely different each time. Also, I had early morning obligations so didn't do my customary routine of relaxing with my cup of coffee. I will check out the things other folks have mentioned. Thanks, all.
This pain comes on all of a sudden,at night when I'm in bed..  It's horrible.  I don't know what brings it on but my cure is a glass of the hottest water you can stand.  It usually doesn't take the whole glass before I start burping. Then I go back to sleep.
I was diagnosed with Esphageal Diverticulosis, GERD, and Hiatal Hernia.  The GI doctor told me that the Esoph. diverticulosis would sometimes feel like a heart attack and I would never know when it is a real one.  This weekend I have been experimenting with different possible reliefs .... Hot Shower stops the chest pain till I become normal body temp again.  Also, I need to watch not to use too much high fiber.  I am open for any other suggestions too.  SC
so recently i have been have left arm pains and every time it comes on i feel like i have gas in my chest, and when i burp it goes away, i suffer from real bad anxiety, and i am thinking that this has something to do with it, but the pain been here for a couple of weeks now. i did an EKG and everything came back good but i am still not sure what i should do. Should i go back and get another opinion??
I have this right now its horrible
The sharp pains in my chest are scary but nice to know what if is cant stop burping but still dont feel a release yet
hello, what did you get for this?
I have been having this gas pain for the last pass month and i'm really getting annoyed because i'm always thinking am gonna have a heart attack, its like im living in fear and i don't like this, i have been taking gas-x and drinking ginger ale and it works sometimes but it stills comes back, does anyone know what causes this or how can we get rid of it permanently??
Not sure what this is but i just experienced this for about 4 days now.  It was on of the most scariest things I had to experience.  I went to ER and they couldn't find anything.  I actually bought me a 7up (12 oz.) and it took a few hours but I just kept burping to release the gas out of my chest and propped a pillow under my arm between my ribs to relieve the soarness.  
Sorry forgot to add, it completely went away.  Will keep you posted if it comes back.
Make a hot black sweet tea no milk it will make you feel so much better
I don't know wat this is anyway I keep getting this horrible pains in me heart its like some1 stabbing me frm the inside 2 go outside if I lay down or stand up bt doctor sed its stress bt am not stress I even get pains in me belly n at me bottom of me back bt what's really worried and scared me is me chest I get it worse in night times its very uncomfable 2 am only 20year old so I don't think its a heart attak n there u go the shooting pains is starting again I had those shooting pains for 5times in 20mins goes in a second its like hot shooting stabbing pains does any1 have the same 2 mine n if u knw wat it is thank u
Im a 26 year old mother of 2. And the other morning I woke up at 3 am with chest pain n shortness of breatb didn't think too much of it because I was very tired so I wen5 back to sleep.. woke up at 7 am feeling the same way.. finally at 11 I went to a local acute center. . The dr and nurse advised me I should of called 911 immediately. . They then did an ekg and blood tests everything came back normal but they were still very concerned so they transported me by ambulance to an actual hospital where they also did an ekg blood tests,  urine tests and chest xray.. everything came back normal.. they then said it could be costochondritis which is inflammation to the tissue that connects the rib to the breast bone. . But now it feels like I have gas/bubbles in my chest? ?
I have the same symptoms I was diagnosed with bronchitis and anxiety last year. I have been for two weeks feeling a really funny sensation through my upper body one or twice a day. I get short of breath and it feels like my throat is closing on me sometimes. I also have really sharp headaches which last a couple of seconds. With pain in the lower back under my ribs. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow but Is anyone else feeling this way because I would like to know if someone could have been diagnosed with something.
my husband is 41 and he suffers from something that will not let him rest or relax. For him to get more than 2 hours a night @ a time was a miracle. He has suffered from years, almost 15 now. He was introduced to Ativan, that worked for him for a long while, but not any more. He has had the million dollar work-up too. Every test, from every specialist were normal. He has had EN&T surgeries also, because of the hoarseness and feeling there is something stuck in his throat. Direct larngoscopy, tonsillectomy, deviated septum repair, muscles removed. NOTHING? What is this monster attacking my husband. He was diagnosed with Significant Spontanious Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) and a small sliding hiatal hernia. He has even had the L5 S1 vertebrae fused, because his back hurt so bad. Was it GERD all along? We still are not convinced. He takes Zantac, Prevacid, Melatonin (for his insomnia), but it does not work. He had an attack back in September that I thought was killing him, the terror in his eyes, he did not sleep at all for 9 days, he was admitted to the hospital, where they thought he was crazy, sent in phsyciatrists (3 in 2 days). They administered a cocktail of meds to make him sleep for 72 hrs. It did not work, it was like this monster got pissed and attacked my husband. His story is a long one, but to shorten it up, he still to this day knows not what it is, but what it does. It's bad enough to make a 6'3 240lb man to tears.
Anyone with any suggestions please email me at ***@****
I  dont know if any of yeah are frequent gym users but I am, and few days ago I got a dull tudding pain around my left bicep and shoulder and slight numbness in my hand, I put it to strains from the gym as I would  go in gym and never do a  warm up or warm down and just hit the weights heavy..But that night in bed I felt like I was getting a heart attack the following day went to ER and got my bloods ECG and heart xRays which all showed up fine..The next day in work I was still feeling crap and started getting a tingling sensation in my calves and feet and went back into the ER where I was told everything was fine again and I may be suffering with a little anxiety and the chest pain was coming from gas's in my stomach, My local doctor treated me for acidginity of the chest and IBS years ago and I would of treated them at the time and to be honest had forgot about these  till recently... I can honestly say that I never found any 1 food that effected me but this time the only thing different I can think is I had silver mint sweets in the past few days and I think the might be my achilles heel...Hope this might help someoneout there as I got great relief when I came across this page, I was starting to think it was just me...I also loved the sayin Anxiety dosent cause pain that pain causes Anxiety...
Last year I had a similar issue and it has just cropped up again.  Starts with heartburn then gas seems to be trapped in my left shoulder and upper/mid back. Haven't started the regimen this time yet, but last year my chiropractor suggested I have low stomach acid (look it up) and had me take HCL supplements.  Within a week of taking them all was normal.  Research HCL carefully first.  Also drink aloe juice to heal your inflamed stomach and esophogus lining. Good luck!
I also have severe anxiety and have been experiencing a lot of gas pains.I tend to really over react when this happens because it does get scary.I have been reading many posts,sorry I can't respond to them all.They all are very helpful and now I know I am not crazy.I seem to always be looking for reassurance with these problems as well.Feel free to comment(any of you).Thanks and good luck to all of you!
I have read quite a few of these post and i can say i must have "suffered" with this longer than anyone.  I am 56 years old.  As far back as i can remember i have had these pains in my left side and behind my rib cage and under my left arm and all.  I was hospitalized when i was 14 years old because i complained to my parents of chest pain. After six days of tests they found nothing.  I even had a heart cath to see if i had a whole in my heart.  They did send me home with papers that said i probably had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).  I was tested other times all my life and visits to the ER because when i breathe in that is when i have the sharp pain.  Later i realized that i have the problems when i eat certain foods.  Number one- ONIONS.  i love onions.  To this day i can cook with them, i can even chew them but i can not let not one tiny piece reach my stomach.  I really miss onions on cheeseburgers and fish sandwiches, but i have the onions right there on the plate.  I think i can eat cooked onions but this pain is so bad i just do not try. i was also raised on cabbage.  But cabbage causes problems also.  But its funny, i can eat cole slaw which is uncooked cabbage.  I have been through all the medications.  Right now i don't have the problems as much because i try to avoid constipation and i do keep something like Tums and my choice of acid reducer which right now is Famotidine tablets.  Also i have found that MILK OF MAGNESIA works wonders when i have cases that i know wont go away easily.  Like the case i am having today.  i have been hurting even in my lower back today when i move around.  I don't know what i ate this time.  I kinda think it is a buildup of all the holiday foods and drinks like egg nog and boiled custard.  Oh i forgot MILK. i do use sweet acidophilus--no problem, but whole milk no way.  I can cook with it but drink it--no.  Oh well i better go now.  I just wish that we had a cure.  This has held me back all my life. I remember in high school i played the flute.  One day we had a concert and i could  not go because it takes a lot of breathing to play the flute and i was hurting.  A lot of times i would not tell anyone when i was hurting.  I would just get my myself and try to get some relief by trying to hit myself in the back like belching myself or rubbing my back against the corner of a wall to relief the gas pain.  Enough said i guess.  I know some of you all know what i mean.  
The remedy for trapped gas is in my post dated April 19,  2012 on this thread.You need to do it daily.
When you feel the benefit, please post your feedback, so others can benefit.
Also do Anulom vilom pranayam for 20 minutes and kapalbhati pranayam for 20 to 30 minutes daily, for long term.
So glad I found this site, After reading many comments it has really put my mind at ease...I have suffered from severe stabbing pains under my left rib cage on and off for about 3 years now, Its like a knife piercing an organ which lasts about 3 seconds and can be frightening, It can come on randomly without warning, More so when i bend down or sitting slouched, I also get loud rumbling or popping noises radiating from the same area (Under left rib cage) "Not from stomach" which i can only describe as Trapped wind, These sharp stabbing pains can also occur in armpit, upper left breast, Left leg, lower back. I do not get any pain whilst breathing in or out. I take 3 ibuprofen a day 12pm 6pm 12am and helps with the stabbing pains i also drink peppermint tea. I no longer have big meals but eat little and often which has definitely helped, I've also cut down on fatty/spicy foods, Sugar and coffee. I hope this helps and Thank you.
Hi everyone! As I sit here typing this, Jan 15th, 2014, I am in severe pain. I lied down to go to bed and was quickly brought up because of a sharp pain under my breast, near my heart. It hurts so bad if I lie down, if I hunch down, or certain movements and if I breathe in deep. I resort to having to take really shallow breaths so as to not irritate it more. I have been told to take in a really deep breath and to just let it crack the pain out but I am so scarred to do this because I know it is going to hurt so much. I try and I feel it hurting and tearing me inside like a knife. I am so sick and tired of having these pains. I have been to the ER so many times because of this and have had EKGs done. I had one Chiropractor tell me its trapped air and that my Scoliosis and posture made it worse. I am taking any recommendations I read from here. I am eating a banana right now as someone mentioned to do so, I am drinking a hot tea with cloves and I put a splash of apple cider vinegar as an elder lady once told me to do so. I am going to research people in my area that know how to do what’s known in Spanish as “ventosas”, I believe the English translation is “Suckers”, google it for images. I have been told that this takes out the trapped gas. I will do anything to get rid of this. I have had this since 7:30pm, and its already 12am. It’s been over 4 ½ hours and I am still in pain. Yesterday I did do stretching and exercise for the first time in a very long time and don’t know if this might have caused it. I have had these pains since I was about 13ish. I am now 30 years old and still have them. I have Scoliosis and don’t know if this has anything to do with it. I a am 30 year old female. I eat very healthy as a I a vegetarian for 8 years now. I was a meat eater before and grew up eating meat, so my diet now has nothing to do with this as I have had this since I was 13. I drank a Coke for dinner and this is not the first time I get this pain after drinking a carbonated drink but approximately an hour after, I got this chest pain. I really don’t know what is causing this so I am throwing all the possibilities out there in hopes of helping us all on this board. Thank you for reading and please send me a prayer for my pain to end tonight. I still feel this pain and can’t climb up to bed to go to sleep. God, please help us!
These odd pains I think are due to the gas pressing on the vagus nerve. It is a sharp and metallic feeling pain and quite startling.
Increase in fruit and some vegetables has helped me with trapped gas. I still have it bad with many similar symptoms mentioned above. Fruit helps me push out the gas and is the easiest food to digest. I think people who are suffering need a dietary change, not just a pill to take. You could be allergic to a food type like wheat or dairy. Try doing some sort of elimination diet to find your allergy. Lastly, include celery and ginger into your diet. That should help with trapped gas as well.
I am 43 and have had these chest/back/side ache pains for about 15 years.  I have had my gallbladder, appendix, partial stomach and hiatel hernia, hysterectomy, lower 2 inches of espehogas, 2 inches of upper intestine, and 2 inches of my colon all removed, throat surgery 2x, nasel surgery 2x, and I still get intense pain on my right upper side, chest pain, back pain and pain down my right arm and into my neck and jaw. Everytime I end up at the doctor, they either want to remove something, or tell me it is just gas. Gas X, Tea, pacing and  I do the rocking and rolling on the floor trying to pass gas, have my husband beat on my back with his hand to get the gas moving, try to go to the bathroom and bm or fart.  Usually this works and it goes away.  I have seen GI specialist, heart specialist, internal medicine, holistic doctors, dietitians, and anyone else who will gladly take my money to tell me it is gas. I have also been told that I have a slight heart problem by 2 doctors and the rest say I dont.  I don't have many parts inside to affect a lot of what is bothering most people. Today is not the case, I woke up after a good night of sleeping and I went to make breakfast and I realized my hand was shaking and then I felt a little nausea, and I tried to eat and wanted to throw up.  Then the chest pains hit, and the back pain between shoulder blades and down the right arm and up into the neck.  I also have the severe pain on the right side.  Took a shower, farted a bit, but no avail.  My chest pains are less, but my back, side and arm are still there. I am sweating something fierce, but cold. Really tired.  Refuse to go to doctor until tomorrow. The ER docs really don't understand and hopefully my doctor will.  I was just recently diagnosed with Barrets and the start of crohns.  Whatever it is, people who don't have it don't understand.
Well, I've been up for about 2 hours now (12:30 AM now) with the same gas stuck in chest feeling.  I have been suffering from this for about 15 years.  Went to the ER first few times I had it and they ruled out heart related and sent me on my way.  Over the years I have tried just about every known remedy out there.... you kind of get desperate when you have it.

My symptoms are as most folks have (pain in chest, feels like a large bubble of trapped air, sometimes it will radiate to my back, shoulder, neck, jaw and right arm.  With the pain usually is followed by anxiety... mostly due to the pain.

I usually get mine at night, either just before bed or about an hour after I lie down to sleep.  I have learned, there is no sense in staying in bed, because it wont go away, so I get it.  I immediately go to the kitchen where I ALWAYS keep these items in stock as they are the only thing that works for me.

1-Can of Coca Cola
1- Gala Apple

I cut the apple up into small slices, start eating one slice at a time (chew real well).  Drink Coke out of the can in gulps.  By the time I finish the Apple and Coke, my pain has subsided.  I wait about another 30 minutes before returning to bed

The Coke will help you burp, the apple actually tricks your stomach into turning off the acid producers, thereby stopping the production of gas (so I was told).  Either way, it works for me every time and I have not been without Gala Apples and Coke in my house for the past 10 years.  I have tried other apples, which work a little, but Gala for me is the bomb.

Please give it a try, it really has been the only thing that has kept me from shoving a needle into my chest to relieve the trapped air.

45LongColt
Glad to hear it's nothing too severe - b/c it feels like it when it's happening! My pain and pressure is very severe in the middle of my chest and through to my back and causes pain/pressure in my head. I've tried all sorts of positions and nothing seems to help for more than a few seconds. The only thing that helped this time was laying in a fetal position, or kneeling on the floor and curly by body around putting my head to the floor, until the pain gets too intense and then getting up and walking around...then I was able to burp. I did this 3-4 times and it worked each time. But sometimes if I burp too big, it seems that some of the air goes back in my chest...ugh!
I am so relieved to have come across this forum, i have been suffering recently from stress and anxiety. Im am not usually the type to go to the doctors, but last week my girlfriend booked me an appointment as she is worried about my health as i tend to neglect it. Im the sort of person that doesn't like to make a big deal about things but i feel like i have several things wrong with me which i think maybe all be connected.

I too myself having been suffering with trapped air in my chest and i constantly am burping to try and relieve myself. I feel like i get a build up of pressure in my chest which is highly irritating and sometimes its difficult to burp which then causes me to heave. I sometimes find bending down and standing up quickly helps me release the trapped air but sometimes it just feels like its never ending. I also sometimes feel as if i get pressure in my both my ears and by swallowing helps relieve some of the pressure and makes them pop, does anyone else feel they get this aswell?

I have an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow in regards to my stress related issues. I have not mentioned to him about the trapped air issue as i didn't want him to think I'm being a drama queen. But after reading the comments i believe it maybe linked to my stress and anxiety and will mention it to the doctor tomorrow.

I will report back tomorrow to let you know what the doctor says.

Kindest Regards
Cameron
lilbears24.

my name is Tony,
I'm 26 years old and I suffer from similar symptoms. we are around the same age so lets see if we can help each other. i'll try to give the full run down and be as detailed as possible.
about two weeks ago (today is 4/29/2014) I arrived at home from work 4/19/2014 (i'm  a bartender and I work a lot and work till very early in the morning, sometimes[rarely] not getting home until 5a.m. back to work at 4:30p.m., up @ 12p.m.) this night in particular, I arrived home around 1:30 a.m.-2a.m.. for months, I come home, get a second wind (can't sleep) and stay up for hours sitting on my a** playing video games and smoking pot. I've been smoking pot off and on since I was about 16 but for the past year I have been smoking steady, I would say on average, everyday. I live in an apartment and there is simply nothing for me to do that wouldn't disturb my neighbors and plus, I live upstairs. since I smoke pot, I get the munchies and I ate a lot this night, but I didn't eat just any old thing. I had a two day old grilled chicken ceasar salad that had been in the bar fridge because I forgot it the night before. I hadn't eaten all day (I consistently ate once a day and then big meals at night right before I go to bed for months over the course of the last year) so I inhaled the salad, and then I had a capresse sandwich(no meat) and French fries that I had to bake to re heat. I have a pan inside my oven with month old grease, yes that's right, month old grease(my kitchen sink never worked when I moved in and is clogged because some lady who lived here before me poured paint down the drain. so I don't wash dishes a lot) i'm lazy,(i'm 5'7 weighing 140 pounds) so I put the fries directly on the pan not concerned with grease, I usually brag about how I can eat anything with no effect. I inhale that sandwich and fries with a Peruvian hot sauce with lime juice and Aji pepper in it, and I have eaten Peruvian consistently for the past 2 years, I work in a Peruvian restaurant. finished with the meal, I move to the couch, as I do, and smoke my weed and play my games, for about 4 hours............

at 6:30 in the morning, never having once had any of these types of symptoms, I turn everything off, lay down on my side; This is when the pain came. Sharp, startling and sudden, in the middle of my chest. as I lay there, opening my eyes looking at the wall, I wonder what is making me feel this way. closing my eyes, trying to forget about it thinking it's just a random body pain, it hits me again. the tightness seizing my body, I recoil and sit up grasping at my chest. at this moment, I begin to recall my father's medical history (high blood pressure with Afibulation), and the only thing I can think that could be happening to me is a heart attack. I sat there for 5 minuets as the pain set in and worsened. I felt dread and loathing, a vision of me dying in my apartment not being recovered for four days and rotting; days later, neighbors make the discovery of a 26 year old man who was too stupid to get help when nature gave him warning signs and a chance to save himself, flashed before my eyes. this is when the anxiety and increased heart-rate began and I reach for my cellular. as I stand, the chest pains, neck tightness, achy throat, heart fluttering, hot-flushed face, blood shot eyes intensifies. moving for the mirror, I look into my face and am mortified to see that I am red in face(i'm olive-brown skinned Cape Verdean) with blood-red eyes. at this point I am becoming confused, not able to clear my thoughts. I called my mom instead of 911; it's been a good 10 minuets. she convinces me to get help, so I drive myself to the ER. once there, my condition is severe, and I am so certain I am going to die. upon sitting in the waiting room and just sitting in general the symptoms worsen, pains shoot down my left-arm, left-leg, tingling left hand and staggering, slow breathing continues. A man in the waiting room looks at me and says, "how are you doin'?".
"I've been better...", I reply, taking note of his dress, thinking he may be homeless, he wears a dark poofy windbreaker jacket, jeans and a somewhat scarred face.
"what's wrong with you?", he asks.
"My heart... doesn't feel good...", I reply in a slow, painful cadence. I'm about to die and i'm being interrogated, thinking to myself, this is not helping my condition.
The man looks to me and says, "i'll pray for you."
"Thank you." I say, surprised, while i would have never expected to hear this come from him, I say, "i'll pray... for you, too." still clawing at my rib cage.
Finally, he leaves, and finally my name is called. It has been about 30 minuets since symptoms have set in. Triage involves my blood-pressure being taken in a chilly front-desk kiosk. I inform the pretty blonde triage nurse of everything that has happened thus far and reveal the fact that i am a chronic pot smoker. my thighs we're shaking while being interviewed, may have just been the cold though. as i'm moved to the examining room, my anxiety begins to subside and even worse (or better?) once i lay upon the examining table, my symptoms began to subside! i was hooked up to an EKG machine and blood work was done. saline solution (i could be getting this wrong) was fed into my arm and that is about all the "medication" i received while in the emergency room. make this story shorter, they didn't find jack. chest x-rays came back "The lungs are clear, Mediastinal structures appear unremarkable, the skeletal structures appear unremarkable. Impression: No acute process is identified."........
since that day, my symptoms were just feelings of minor chest tightness, small burping, random hiccup, neck pain, left arm soreness, and most of the symptoms that accompany acid reflux. i immediately modified my diet away from the greasy foods i was use to frequently eating, now i eat crackers, low sodium turkey, cream cheese, carrot juice, fruit smoothie, white bread, pickles, peppermint tea with lemon, lots of water, apple juice, rice, milk and cereal (shredded wheat, raisin bran, peanut butter flavored cherrios.). UNTIL RECENTLY
it was either sunday or Monday, i went skateboarding and running, doing intervals off and on the skate board running up hill and walking, it was fun and i had a great time and felt even better. when i got home i cooled off and met with friends and i cleared a bong after one of them hit it. didn't feel any discomfort after that, so i think well maybe i can smoke. i smoke weed as normal and the symptoms started that night again, maybe an hour after i smoked. ever since then I've been mildly uncomfortable and after eating rice and olive oil last night and sitting down playing video games, smoking pot, my symptoms went into full swing, but not as dramatic (barely) when i sent myself to the ER. i rode it out, doing gas releasing yoga moves standing at my bar table with my back bent inwards and belly thrust forward, this position seems to help and i am actually standing at the table right now. I played music with my band tonight and i vaporized my weed and have had only mild discomfort. it feels like air is trapped in my chest, but i know that if i smoke weed tonight my symptoms will be just as bad as last night. i am quiting smoking for a month to see what will happen, but i don't know if i should tonight, i want to experiment right now and see if not vaping the pot will give me symptoms. i think it could be a possible PE (pulmonary Embolism) but i have no pain in my left leg, which is, from what i am understanding, where a blood clot (not saying i have one) will for then release and travel to the lung. for the record i don't smoke cigarettes anymore haven't smoke ciggs for over a year, but i have smoke two cigarettes this month.

I've typed to much, wish me luck, i will be back. hope this helps somewhat. trust me, i don't this this is going to end very soon so you will hear more from me, i want to know wtf is going on!
i know its been a long time since anyone has posted on this thread, but boy i tell ya for two days now I have been suffering with stabbing chest pains, under my arm,in my sternum, hard to breathe, feel like i am gonna pass out, nothing is helping me right now, i will be fine for a couple hours and then boom it happens again I take gass X on a regular basis and boy it is not helping today or yesterday, i put hot packs on my chest, i lay on my back with knees to my chest, i lay flat and try to do some stretches. I just cant seem to pass it this time. does anyone have any answers for me.? I suffer with anxiety as well, i have been to the ER, had every test known to man on my heart and lungs and nothing shows up, doc says its gas. I know this did not start happening until last year after my colonoscopy because i was having bowel issues. I have had three BM's today, sorry for the TMI but i thought it would relieve the gas after awhile. its horrible.
i too have had the same problem ,nightmare ! Rushed to hospital etc ,nothing found to be wrong .Then my sister says ,it's trapped wind you've got,here take some peppermint capsules and also bicarbonate of soda in some water .Honestly ,give it a try ! i thought i was dying.(i wrote this on behalf of my brother)
This works for me when you have trapped gas jave a small child between the age of 3,4,5,6 to walk on your back there little feet will loosen the pressure of gas they don't weigh much so they can't injure you I've been doing this for years grab a Neice nephew son daughter and lay on your stomick and let he or she walk on your back it will be fun to them and when there finished the moment you stand up you feel better and can breath better
I am 22 years old and have been having the same issue for about 15 years. I usually drink some soda and it will make me burp. It doesn't do the trick right away, but it eventually helps. My pain can last a few minutes or a few hours. I have no idea what triggers it. I can't make myself burp, I've tried, however, I just cant seem to do it. It feels like I am having a heart attack. I get the stabbing pain in my chest which radiates to my left arm and jaw. I've gone to the hospital a few times, but they couldn't figure out what was going on. If you are laying down or sitting down when this happens to you, do not stay at rest. Go on a walk if you can, if not, just walk around your house, it eases the pain for me temporarily.
hi I have constipation and gas and when I eat anything I feel like I'm going to pass out it makes my whole body sore and my neck hurts
Well mine is mostly in the center and to the right of my chest.  My doctor said it was caused by gas pressure and wanted me to take imodium (immodium) to help. I also got prescribed Zoloft to help with anxiety. She said the stress causes acid and gas to build up too much and that was why it felt sharp and dull.  But I still have the issue and it gets worse when I move around and so.  I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Again my doctor said it did not sound related to RA and that most likely it is the gas. I never thought gas could do that to a person. I thought gas stayed in the stomach and intestines but I guess not.  Why is it that mine hurts mostly on my right though?
I walked around. We walk our dog Marley each night and I still hurt. Mine is on going ranging from mild to moderate. It is always in my center and to my right lower of my ribs. I just started treatment for it last week. So maybe I am not giving it enough time. I am just tired of hurting. =(
Wow, been reading every1,s posts... you all have GERD...The only answer & treatment is to lose weight. Don,t  ever eat close to bed time,& pay attention to certain foods that give u problems... Also smoking & alcohol  makes it worse... If u hav probs @ nite, get up & take a walk & or puke.... Don,t mean to sound nasty,jus tryin to save u all a lot of $,s, that your all blowin @ hospitals.
Hi...feel same...feel pain in my lower jaws when i walk but no sweating or shortness of breath , which would otherwise suggest Angina pain. Do you feel the same? I have gall stones and maybe that is what causes this gas? take care !
Hi, I can't tell you all this is you, but I was diagnosed with costochondritis, which is inflammation of the chest wall after having pneumonia. Every since then I have horrible pain in the chest, that feels like you have to rub it, and it hurts to breathe. There is no cure, but I think gas somehow is related, I hope this helps someone.
I hope you are doing much better, I know that "maybe I won't die tonight" feeling well. God Bless.
I'm 64 and Started having this problem in March.  I thought I was having a heart attack.  It happens within a few minutes of eating certain foods or when I bend over to do something!  Also, if I take a walk, I have to stop every few feet to stop the pressure from building up.  When I realized it is trapped gas in my chest, I would wait to burp and continue on my walk!  It has gotten worse each week!  My husband would have to rub and pat my back until I could burp several times.  I was in tears 3 days ago and probably had a panic attack!  I read about magnesium and started taking two calcium citrate since it has magnesium. Also took an Aleve and got some Gas-X --which I took 4 times a day!  My pain started easing up and then my friend told me to chew (and swallow) fresh mint leaves.  It stops the pain immediately! I can't believe it but it really has made a difference.  No back rubs for 3 days now!  I even had mint growing in pots outside!  I also have not had any coffee for a week!  Mint hot tea or green tea and local honey!  Hope the mint leaves help some of you!  I carry it with me now!  
Viewing 201-312 comments: