Respiratory Disorders Community
can trapped gas cause soreness, sharp or stabbing type pains in chest?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Hi, i was wondering if trapped gas can cause chest soreness, chest tightness, shortness of breath, stabbing pain which is severe enough to think you are having a serious heart problem. and if the answer is yes, how does one go about solving this trapped gas problem?

Thanks.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I get this from time to time and have anxiety. I've even had a nuclear stress test . . . results normal. I also get the pains in my left and right chest and lower abdomen, but it always goes away. Eat light until it passes.
Hi, my husband has suffered this same problem for I know at least four years now, and it doesn't matter what he eats or when. He may be fine for a day a week or a month, and then all the sudden he says he feels like he's weak and dizzy and feels like someone is poking his heart with a needle, his arm near his arm pit with hurt. He burps alot and it releaves some of the discomfort. Various other things as well. Generally he said he gets a "funny" feeling throughout his body. We went to the doctor years ago for it, and all they told us was it was because he had a fever of 98.9,(fever?)!! I was wondering if and what the doctors have told you about it, I plan on researching to see what can be done. This is the first time I have heard of someone having a similar problem, it's nice to know.
Hi, is it usually in your abdomen too? I just thought about that and my husband has never said anything about it being in his right chest or abdomen. He does have high cholesterol. But I was just wondering. Thanks
last night,. i had 3-4 simultaneous stabbing pains that lasted 2-3 seconds in the sternum/heart area, VERY scary very uncomfortable. i do not know if this was GAS or if it was ACID REFLUX
the docs always say either its ACID REFLUX or its "anxiety or stress" related. And yes when im full of gas, i am bloated , have a weird sensation in the body, a lil dizzy,. but once i release it, its like such a relief ! bloating goes away, i feel so good, but its hard to release it.
is your husband on any medications? did he start any medications right before this problem started?
Sounds like it could be PCS (Precordial Catch Syndrome). It's a symptom caused by a trapped nerve and will always occur on the left side of chest, pretty much were you would feel your heart beating.

If this occurs frequently in adults (a number of times per year) it could be related to the back. If this is the case, try swimming regularly using the breast stroke.

A Google search for "wiki pcs" will give you more information.
Hi , i have arrived at this site after spending 2 visists to emergency department and several visits toa doctor. I have had very similar problems as decribed. sometimes i feel fine i think im over what ever it is , then i wake in the night feeling nausea, light headed, wierd sensantions through most of my upper body and back, i feel stabbing pains and sometimes i can actually see movment in my chest from gas passing through me. I feel asthough every breath i take is like breathing some toxic gas it does'nt feel like im breathing normal air . Seems to happen no matter what i eat and it seems to always hit me during the night. i can't get any answers im always told its reflux ...i have had reflux for 20+ years and i have never experienced these kind of symptoms from it. only relief i get is if i pass alot of wind and drink lots of water , i also cant manage to empty my bowls properly , always have diahrea and can only manage small ammounts per day sometimes 2 days between.
Im a 35 year old female about four days ago I started having this pain in my chest on my left side under my breast and ribcage area it hurst bad when i breath in . It even hurts when I move a certain way . I went to the ER and they couldnt find any thing .it feels like gas ,i have taken everything over thecounter for gas i can find and nothing has helped. I know im not crazy I dont like pain and this pain that im feeling in just too much to bear if anyone have a solution please help .
This has happened to on and off for years and I am not dead yet. It took me a long time to figure out what it was because it can be confused with heart symptoms. It is very uncomfortable, but it goes away. Now I don' t get worried - just annoyed. I have no other symptoms.
I have the same symptoms. It seems to move from left side of chest to right side. I normally take acid reflux pills, sometimes add Beano. No go away but with time. My lungs sound good to the doctor. Certain movements cause the pain, mostly at night. I'm going to the doctor soon to report it & I'm going to give her this site address so she can see I'm not alone. That does help just knowing that. My wife keeps telling me she thinks it's gas. We'll see, unless you might have any suggestions at this time?
Hi cakes35, I am 26, female and currently going through the exact thing you described. My pain is also only on the left side, it hasn't moved like sheani123's did. It's in the exact spot you described, hurts when I move, breathe, bend over --I'm going crazy with the pain and confused because the ER doc couldn't find anything wrong after the chest X-Ray and EKG. He says it could be pleursy (which I don't think it is) and I've almost started wondering if it's a pulmonary embolism! It's very painful and the lortab they gave me makes me puke, even though I've only taken a half of a tablet with food. :(

--cakes35, it's been a few weeks for you...I hope you come back to check this post --I'd really love to see what you found out, and what your condition is... Please update us and keep us posted!
Thanks for the post ppl i am having the same problem here, the right side of my chest have a severe it felt like someone took a needle and poke me
i need to go to the doctor to check it out. By the way i burp a lot . this is the first time this happen to me  ,  help plzzzzzzz
Hi, im a 20 yr. old female. i have been having horrible chest, stomach and back pains. i know it is gas. i can feel it moving around in my stomach. and when i push on my stomach, it moves arounnd and i feel sharp pains. the pain shoots up through my neck, then to my shoulders and down to my arms.if anyone has any idea of what this might be, please give me your opinion. thanks!
Hello everyone. I am having the same issues (obviously) and I cant seem to get a clear answer. I feel the "needle stuck in heart" feeling but that stopped recently. I also feel a sharp pain when I SLEEP OR LAY on my left side in my chest area. I dont know if its my heart or lungs or what. I, too, burp alot and everytime I wake up I have to burp about 4-5 times to expel all the gas. When I eat anything, I swallow more than once to clear my throat so I know im swallowing a lot of air. That still doesnt explain the chest pain and burping when I wake up though. I cant seem to find anything about it on the net but I have had numerous EKGs (meaning its probably not my heart) and I dont know where to turn next. Im thinking chest x-rays, allergy tests and circulation tests. Sometimes I cant sleep comfortably w/o waking up to burp.
im going to thru the same thing it is horrible ,my top part of my stomach under my heart hurts so bad stabbing pains and when i breth to hard it hurts , also moving to fast and the pains takes my breath away , i want to say its gas but its scary , ive burped a few times and it kinda feels a lil better befor getting worst again, if anyone knows anything that would help please let me know thanks
WOW WHAT A RELIEF TO KNOW THESE ARE COMMON SYMPTOMS OF TRAPPED GAS. I'VE BEEN FEELING THIS DISCOMFORT FOR TWO DAYS NOW. I AM A 33 YEAR OLD FEMALE AND WENT TO THE EXTENT OF SCHEDULING A MAMMOGRAM DUE TO THE SEVERE CHEST PAINS.NOT RECOGNIZING HOW MUCH GAS I HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN RELEASING I THOUGHT MAYBE IT'S JUST GAS. AFTER READING THESE POST I CAN HONESTLY SAY I'M RELEIVED. HOPEFULLY THE PAIN WILL SUBSIDE SOON. THANKS!
This is so weird. I have all these symptoms when I have trapped gas. Last February 2009, I even went to the ER with a tingling or stabbing pain in chest. I was told that heart was fine and that it may have been esopageal spasms which causes esopagas to press on heart area. And I'm having the same symtoms (symptoms) now. Nighttime, lying down seems worse.
Hi, this is such a relief to find this page, i have had these symptoms for years but no one can tell me whats happening. i've been in A&E so many times but it wasnt heart attack or clots so sent home without any further investigations. i am a migraine sufferer & somehow they try to put it down to that, i am seeing migraine specialist who says no way could it be related. i am always a very windy person & have ibs, i feel that there is so much wind trapped that it is putting pressure on my lungs & chest, but then i question myself a lot too when the other pains dont add up but are all connected. i am having a bad "spell" at the moment, very bad chest pain and feels like my food tube is very sore, pain under my arms, pain that shoots into my sides under arms and goes again, pain up side of neck that goes into my throat and ears and my ears can feel blocked, dizzy/lightheaded, pain in upper back, pains can be worse on moving or not! and no one can make sense of it, it gets so bad that sometimes i cant look after my little boy, PLEASE, if someone is getting all/most of these symptoms let me know, i know the list looks like i'm a hypocondriac & my family certainly think so as no doc has sorted me, i do have low bp, which can go quite low but they havnt found a reason for that either. hope to hear from some one so i can  show this to my doc. Thanks, Lynda
oh, me again, in case my list wasnt long enough, i forgot to say that sometimes i feel like my throat is closing or something weird that makes it hard to breath but gp checked and it wasnt swollen but he has referred me to get camera put down to check but still waiting, at least after many, many docs, this man is trying to help!!
I am a 72 year female and have had this problem since I was 50. The first 3 times my medical doctor did EKGs during the attack.  The pain in the right or left (or both) sides is unbearable. It runs up both sides of my neck and into ears.  I know what it is, but it still cares the hell of me and the anxiety makes it worse. I ate broccoli and cheese casserole for dinner last night and woke up this morning with pain in jaws. I hav Reflux also, and usually can drink a soda and be able to burp. I am a pain patient also, and notice that when I am put on Lortabs, the first one or two always triggers this problem. Sometimes llaying on your back on the floor and rolling from side to side with move the gas and allow  you to pass it. I have many friends with same problem, stress doesn't help nor  as I said anxiety.  Hope this helps everyone.
Hi, I am a 49 yr. old who has had stomach and digestive problems my whole life.  My mom sent me to 1st. grade w/ antacids in my pocket.  I have over the last few years developed more symptoms similar to what everyone here is describing.  I, too, went to the ER a few years back w/ chest pain.  The people were very rude to me, shoved the IV in my arm as hard as they could and asked if my chest hurt as much at the IV they just inserted.  After the tests came back, they said I had a hernia from my stomach that protruded through the diaphragm into the chest cavity behind my heart and was pressing on a nerve around my heart and that was what was causing my pain.  All I know is that every time I have a gas problem, I get that pain again in the upper left side of my chest.  It usually moves to my left arm then around to my upper back.  It makes it very hard to sleep.  There are times I cannot even lay on my back b/c it is so sore and painful.  Most people I tell don't believe me either, so I know what some are saying.  What can I do?  Nothing seems to help except time, and who has that?
I hope this helps you... I had these symptoms in 2005, I thought I was having heart attacks. I lost #0 lbs, cause I couldnt eat nor drink. I was passing out from the dizziness and short breath. I thought I was going to die. The doctor put me on carafate, and later Nexium. Both worked eventually, Id say a few days later, and I have not had these pains again. I continue to take the Nexium, and an occasional gasx. Please try this. Talk to your doctor, I cant imagine this many people going thought the same thing I had. Doctors should be more aware of these symptoms and know gas, instead of anxiety. I did have anxiety, because I was afraid from the pain, my anxiety didnt cause pain, my pain, caused anxiety. The pinkch under the arm in the rib cage is gas, as soon as u feel it coming on, put you arm above your head to help the gas shift somewhere else.... I hope this works for all of you...
First, and foremost please see your doctor if you are experiencing any of the symptoms on this page even if you’re having what appears to be the exact same symptoms as someone else.  Your body is different and you may be harming yourself more than helping yourself by not going to the doctor.

My symptoms began a year ago when I quit smoking and began healthy eating habits; more vegetables, less fat, more whole grains and less white flour products, more water and less caffeine.  I joke that I felt better when I smoked.  

I’m also in the fifth year of menopause, which has its own set of similar symptoms, and should also not be considered as the principle reason for symptoms described on this page.  

I’ve run the gamut of big name (and store brand) over-the-counter gas and acid medicines, spending too much money on chalky, fruit-flavored tablets, minty gel strips and nasty, thick liquids that didn’t solve my problem.  

I couldn’t pinpoint a specific food or drink that could be described as the catalyst for this horrible feeling because sometimes if I ate pizza I felt like I was going to die, and then other times I could eat pizza and there were no symptoms at all.  Some days if I ate beans I felt like I was going to blow up, while other days the gas was minimal.

As an observation only, I noticed that if I ate quickly and didn’t take the time to chew my food properly, the tendency to have more gas was higher than if I had taken my time.  At times dairy products seemed to be my toxic foe, while other times it seemed to be a comfort to the painful burning of acid build up.  I also noticed that if I drank liquids or chewed gum with artificial sweeteners I would feel gaseous pains build to a painful climax until I could either drink a warm soda or swallow enough air to burp.

I now know that the healthy foods I am eating are the main culprit of my gaseous agony.  The speed at which I am eating and drinking are another cause.  There may very well be additional causes that I have not yet considered, and another visit to my doctor may bring to light those additional causes.

I have found that using a charcoal product works better and than the chalky tablets and liquids, and may be something you might want to consider.

If you’re a woman, and you’re experiencing any symptoms listed on this page and you haven’t seen your doctor, GO, as soon as humanly possible.  If your pain is severe go to the ER.  Do not put it off as gas because it may be something far worse.  The symptoms of heart attack in women are not the same as for men.  Listen to what your body is telling you and do not rely on the internet to heal you.

Chuggin’ Along N Chattanooga
I am a 33 year old male that had no type of ailments at all through out my life,until recently,about four months ago I had to rush to the emergency room for what felt like a heart attack.I was short of breathe and felt like like I was going to pass out,twice.The doctors took xrays,ekg,bloodpressure and a couple of other test,but didnt find anything wrong and all they could tell me was that I probably drank too much soda and had a caffiene related problem,but the funny thing is that I dont drink sodas.After leaving the hospital I developed a serious gas,bloating,belching condition that just wont quit.It runs all over my upper body and now it travelled up my back and neck.I even feel the pressure behind my eyes and can feel the pressure being released from my ears with this clicking sound.The same sound also from my eyes.It mostly seems to occur at night and when I eat certain foods.The onlything that seems to relieve the pressure is having someone eub me down with castor oil,massaging my neck and chest and back downward to my stomach and drinking hot basil tea.I recently took some colon cleaner and it seems to be working sofar.I hope this helped..........I am constantly researching for a solution and feel a little better knowing I am not the only one.
I experienced this sort of thing for many years after taking Accutane in 1985.  The worst side effects of this drug appear after one is done with the course of therapy.  Because of this the correlation between the dysfunctions of the body and the drug is lost. Patti Lodes
hi im a 32 year old male and i also have gas and acid problems. it does worrie me even though the doctor told me it was acid reflux and give me zantac. its almost like im haveing a heart attack. i get shortness of breath lots of stomac bloating and dizzyness. it wakes me in the night with my chest hurting and the first thought is. im having a heart attack. then i get scared and it puts me into anixety witch i have very bad and being treated with zoloft. i also get a knot in my throat. my doc says its all gas and acid reflex and not to worrie. so today im starting my zantac and see if this solves my problems.
I don’t like to hear of anyone in pain. But, its calming to hear I am not alone.

A few days ago I started having pains under my left breast near my rib cage. I, like the above writers, am very concerned.

I do notice that when I lie down, breath in and or twist, it gets . And, when I eat, burp or pass gas, it gets better.

I went to the doctors about a month ago and found that I have High blood pressure. They put me on medication. Being myself, whom hates any medication, conveniently forgot my pills several times.

I decided to be good and started taking my pills as prescribed and that is when the pains started.

I started getting gas in leaps and bounds.

I know that some medications can cause this reaction. But, I have never experienced this in my life.

I have an appointment in two days.

Other side effects of this medication are dry throat, dizziness, fainting, low heart beat, lightheadedness, diarrhea, mood change, Coughing, swelling of the face tongue or throat, trouble breathing and heart complications.

If you take medication, or not, check with a doctor.

I am a 33 yr old female and have had these symptoms as well for years. I also have been diagnosed with acid reflux and IBS. What it seems to be is a food allergy!! GLUTEN to be exact! It causes my intestines to swell, traps gas, shortness of breath, constipation, stabbing pain, get really tired, even hives . Ask your Dr. to test you for celiacs and/or gluten intolerance!   Im telling ya, i was on prevacid 30 mg, twice a day! my stomach would bloat to the point i looked 6 months pregnant.. Hope this helps!!!
Oh I almost forgot, I also had the "lump in the throat". My thyroid was actually enlarged due to the acid reflux! I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy... dx- esophagealitis (also caused by reflux)
Pain in the ribcage so bad Id be hunched over screaming in pain....please go to your dr's and ask for a blood test- celiacs, gluten sensitivity, even chrones disease....
i hear you on the looking pregnant one!!!!!!!!!!!!, crazy how much we can swell up!! i had blood test for coeliac but was negative, however, i know it can take a few tests for it to show, i have just changed gp again so will get tests again, have finally got date for barium swallow (a year after it was requested)!! i used to have an overactive thyroid but yet another emergency trip to a local gp, he recons something is going on as it is quite "palpabale" or something like that, so, got new doc & am just gonna put the foot down & get this flipping thing sorted. whatever bout pain i just cant handle feeling dizzy/faint most of the time, my little boy is missing out cos mummy is always "sick". will report back here after test!!!!!!!!!!!
I get gas trapped in my chest a lot and some days it is worse than other. Usaully I just force myself to burb until the pain is gone but here is some info for you.

Remedy for Trapped Gas in Chest Cavity
By Juan Ramirez, eHow Contributor
updated: November 12, 2009

I want to do this! What's This?
Gas trapped in the chest area can be as alarming as it is painful. It isn't uncommon for chest gas pains to be severe enough to convince people that they're experiencing a heart attack. When gas moves from the stomach to the the chest, esophageal nerve endings become stretched, creating the extreme discomfort that causes some to panic.

The best way to alleviate chest gas pain is to ingest a substance that will eliminate it in the form of a belch or flatulence.
Carbonation Remedy
This is the easiest remedy of all. Drink a decent sized serving of an extremely carbonated beverage (i.e. club soda), and--preferably in private--let out a a tremendous burp. Gross as it sounds, you'll be relieving the gas congestion in your chest, and the relief will be almost immediate. The embarrassment of being somewhat ill-mannered by necessity shouldn't override removing the gas, and the pain, out of your system.
Homeopathic Remedy
This remedy has been around for a long time. Add a few drops of peppermint, ginger, or cinnamon extract to a glass of water, and drink it. The phytochemicals in the extracts of these plants relax the esophageal muscles, making it easier for gas caught in the chest to escape in the form of a belch.

These extracts are available at health food stores, but are probably easier to procure from the baking supplies sections of major supermarkets.
Over-The-Counter Simethicone Products
Simethicone is an orally administered anti-foaming agent that merges small, hidden stomach gas bubbles--which can head to the chest and cause pain--into larger gas bubbles that can more easily be emitted. Structurally, simethicone is a mixture of polydimethylsiloxane and silica gel. It's the active ingredient in over-the-counter name-brand gas relief products such as Maalox Anti-Gas, Mylanta Gas, and Rolaids, and it's completely safe in recommended and appropriate doses.

Read more: Best Way - Remedy for Trapped Gas in Chest Cavity | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5638408_remedy-trapped-gas-chest-cavity.html#ixzz0yJSZziBc
I have been experiencing an accute pain in the upper portion of back (just opposite to heart) since 2 years. some time I gets relief but for a very short period.  Most of the time I feel like a dagger has been stand stabbed from the back of my heart.  I feel the paid from the both sides of my left upper body.  I cant even sleep or move by sides and even to raise my left hand freely.  I had undergone an ECG but according the result there is nothing to worry.  But I cant believe there is nothing to worry, so that I feels such a type of pain almost all the times.  Please tell me what would be the reasons and its remedies if any.
This is the second time I've had to be taken to the emergency room for the same symptoms as all of you. The first time was on my left side and this time it was on my right. They thought it was my gall bladder this time but all of the test came back negative. They gave me a pain killer which helps when in the Hospital but what helps relieve the pain when you're not? Why do so many people have the same symptoms but they don't know exactly what it is or how to remedy it?
Hi, I am suffering the same as the rest of you. I have also been to doctors and they say that there is nothing wrong with any of my organs especially my heart and lungs. They say that it must be acid reflux or indigestion and I have been on so many different meds and nothing has helped. The wind gets trapped in my chest and the pain shoots through my shoulders and neck round my ribcage and into my upper back. It doesn't matter what I eat as it is not always the same food that causes the problem. I can go for months without any problems then Wham!! they are back again and I can't shake them for ages. I am going to try cutting my portions down and spreading them out into smaller meals throughtout the day to see if that helps. I will let you all know what happens. Good luck to all of you and I hope we all finally find some relief from this dreadful, painful and annoying problem.
Wow, I am not alone, it bugs the hell out of me, yes I am windy, pain in the chest, stabbing pains under the left arm. Chest feels tight, yesterday it didn't happen, wow I thought, then back to day worse.

I am cutting stuff out of my diet gradually to see if anything has an effect.

I don't smoke or drink anyway, now I have stopped drinking coke zero, my one pleasure in life. I have now cut out white bread and tomorrow I am going to cut out my cappucino's.

I have peppermint oil tablets that was recommended for wind, now all that happens is my wind tastes of peppermint.

I hope one day somebody solves this.

I hope one day somebody solves this.
I seem to get symptoms just likes the ones mentioned if I do any exercise but especially if i drink alcohol. Does anyone else find this? a shortness of breath that feels uncomfortable and breathing sometimes feels short. Im 25 and have been having this problem for about 6 months, been to the doctors and had ECGs on my heart and it seems fine so the problems people have on here feel very familar!
Thankyou It works. Harms up while taking a deep breath takes away the pain on my left side. Thank you
I'm having similar pains with a just a different type of situation. I already know I have acid refux and been told I have a hyateal hernia along with diverticultis. To sum it up I'm a complete mess lol. The past few years my acid refux has been small with just the touch of pain, nothing that I couldn't deal with up till now. I noticed I had some mild burning in my chest and  middle of my back the past few days now and I been taking Zegerid Otc for the acid but that didn't stop me from eating poorly and this last bout really hit me hard so I cut off everything that can produce Gas but I'm still feeling the pains off and on when ever I feel a gas flair up then it goes away for a breif amount of time. I feel a burning pain right in the middle of my breast bones, sometimes the aching pains all over my chest in different places not just in one spot all the time and sometimes I'll feel the same pain right in the middle of my back but it always goes away. From what I'm hearing from you all is you pretty much had this same problem and been dealing with it for many years and that's good to know cause I'm a worry wart and get all freaked out. if it's just a matter of having some small pains and it goes away I'm ok with it as long as it's not something serious and I'm going to die lol. I've been to the Hospital many times and they always never help and I don't have Health Insurance coverage any longer and I don't want to find out there is nothing they can do for me and they send me a bill for $2,000 to tell me they can't do anything for me.
I have been having same issues. Doctor checked me for H Pylori in the stomach and it came back positive. Going on Triple Therapy today. Hopefully it helps. Hate the feeling that I am about to die.
Force yourself to burp a lot. That works for me.
Omg, this site is wonderful. I thought all these years I was alone on this subject. Nobody, even the doc's didn't understand. When gas gets trapped in my body, I get shaky, sick, my face burns and it hurts all up under my rib cage. It doesn't seem to matter what it is i'm eating it strikes at anytime. I tried the glutan free diet for 6 months and it seem to help but i had attacks off an on while I was on that strick diet. I tried gluten again and it didn't hurt my stomach. So thats not it. There is just no ryhme or reason for this to happen. I am so excited to hear i'm not alone, but i am sorry 4 all your pain. I did the same as some others on here and thought I was having a heart attack one time. I called 911 and they said it was a panic attack. It most likly was but I know it was brought on by the gas that was trapped in my body. It becomes so scary and painful, you just don't no what to make of it. If any of you figure out some ways to help it, please let me and all the other know. I do drink carb. soda if I feel it coming on now, and It really helps for upper body trapped air. But it doesn't help when the gas is trapped in the lower part of my body. I hate that shaky feeling I get. Does anyone else get a shaky feeling when the gas is trapped or does your face and ears burn if air get trapped under the rib cage. Thank All, you have all really helped me in some way or another.
Brenda
Glad I found this website. When you find others that feel with you, it gives you a sense of hope. Now, on to the problem. I started having sharp pains not too long ago like many of you.

Lets go over the symptoms that we have in common: Sharp, sudden chest pain that moves occasionally. Acid Reflux Disease. Most have developed Panic Attacks and Anxiety.

Nearly all of us at one point were convinced it was a heart attack and might even have gone to the ER. I assume many of you even start checking your heartbeat/pulse during it. This is strictly a panic attack. Heart attacks are {usually} a crushing feeling with extreme pain. You wont be worried about your pulse during a heart attack, the pain will be all you think about. Later on many of you have a longing anxiety from the initial panic attack.

Go to the website below to understand the difference between heart attacks and panic attacks.

http://www.***************.com/pdfear.html

Panic Attacks can also cause sharp pains and tightness in your chest FYI. Having knowledge and knowing it is a panic attack can make the panic attack go away much quicker. Panic attacks feed on themselves, you also might get hazy, nauseated, and have heart palpitations some might even have difficulty breathing. Know this, it is impossible to stop breathing during a panic attack, and you cannot feint.

If your sharp pain moves and you have acid reflux it is most likely gas. However, this gas is the pain that triggers your panic attack. Then you go into flight mode and it becomes 10 times worse.

From what I have learned you need to learn and control your anxiety. Take deep breaths and I find that talking to a family member or friend helps. Get there opinion on the matter, it is always good to have an unbiased opinion. Ask them, should I go to the ER? Tell them how you are feeling.

Many have stated that interlocking your fingers with your hands above your head and moving down your neck can release pressure from the gas. Some have mentioned peppermint remedies, and gas X. I suggest eating lighter. Change your diet to more vegetables and organic foods. When I eat chili I put vinegar in to counter-act the acids. Say goodbye to fried foods as well. Anything greasy or spicy is your enemy now! Exercise is something that can help you expedentially.

Important tip: DONT EAT LATE. Make your last meal around 6 if you go to bed at 10 and do some slow yoga around 8 to expel the gas before bed. Because we all need our beauty sleep. :-)
Thank goodness. I was in the middle of an attack and looked it up on Google and found this string on it. It had woken me up from a sound sleep and I started panicking. Just reading some of the comments helped ease my panic enough to burp and get rid of the trapped air. I feel like I can breath again and the tightness in my abdomen has relaxed considerably. Thank you everyone. You helped me out a lot and eased my anxiety over it
I must say the fizzy drink Idea is the best cure for my symptons, plain unsugared/flavoured ones are the best
I keep a couple of small bottles in my fridge just incase :)
good ol belch usually sorts things out.
But if all else fails and i'm sorry but this is a bit gross. . .
get yourself over the bog and stick your finger down your throat, even the heaving can releive you, but a pewk (sorry) will bring up foamy stuff which is the trapped bubbles/pain :)
and when you have this pain..you will try anything ;)
guys, im just wondering if anyone has been tested to see if they have a hiatus hernia, i have all the symptoms lyndajacks has and more and it can be very frightning! So frightning infact that it can induce panic attacks which i had never had before.  Doctor gave me a scope and revealed I had a hiatus hernia which results in gas leaking through the gap into my chest cavity giving me the feeling of immense pressure and dizziness and a very strange sensation through my body. It was a relief to know what it was but when the symptoms happen I still feel panicky as there so awful and I cant think rationally, I find the best remedy is exercise which I know will be the last thing you feel like doing but a little bit of gentle exercise really seems to get the gas moving, best wishes to everyone x
omg, thanks for saying about pressure, dizziness and i get a most horrible feeling like the creepiness of restless lg syndrome but almost everywhere, i am actually having the worst day today that i've had in ages and yes, totally petrified!! i had a barium swallow which was "normal", what its was meant to show or what they actually looked for, i have no idea, i was waiting for the scope but got called for that instead without being consulted. oh, thankyou for sharing, i now have new hope, i will go back to gp and try again!!
Hi, do you have trouble swolling the food ( Getting down )? is this the reason you you swollow twice to be sure. My seventeen year boy was just diaonosted with EE allergic esoftegus feels like food is getting stuck. He too lately has had alot of issue with getiing traped gas offf his stomach been on differnt meds for it but nothen seems to be really helping. Like you we have been to ER now twice with for server chest pain but EKG and blood work / chest exray are always normal . Any sugesstion on how to get the trap gas off the stomach would be very much greatfull.
Hello all:  I am sorry that so many of you are suffering from these symptoms but also happy to hear that:  a) I am not the only one and b) we are still alive to post our problems - which is a very good thing indeed.

I am 38 and for the last 5 years have been suffering from anxiety attacks, indigestion, acid reflux and trapped-gas problems and as all of you know it is an F/N NIGHTMARE!  I had these problems in my mid-twenties for about one-year then they went away when I started going to the gym but it seems when i got older, alot more stressed and packed on some weight the problems returned.

The pain in my chest is so sharp and severe that last year, I spent almost $1,000.00 in $25.00 co-pays at the ER.  EKGs are performed, stress yests, x-rays, et cetera and othing is ever found - I as I wrire this I have pain in my chest and right arm.  These problems cause hardcore panic attacks that worsen the whole issue and make it cyclical in nature.

I HATE LIVING THIS WAY!  My family thinks Im just crazy but the pain is real.  Whenever I releive the gas the pain seems t dissipate but it always comes back.  Sometimes I go a couple months with no symptoms then suddenly, I will have these problems for a few months daily - this is seriously screwing up my quality of life as I know it is all of yours as well.
may God have mercy on us all.
Hi yall, I am not a burpy person but for the past few days I have been feeling as if a gas bubble is stuck in the middle of my chest. Whenever I ate anything or even drank anything, I would feel as if the food or beverage was fighting its way down the pipe. Like if it had to squeeze by to go down. It hurt so much that I started panicking. I just went to the doctor yesterday for strep throat and got a shot for that. I thought the strep throat had something to do with the pain I was feeling in my chest but it wasn't. I was burping like crazy and also farting like a nut. I had to press down on my stomach in order to get the gas out. It sounded like someone playing the trumpet. I had to laugh at myself. I looked online and read that organic apple cider vinegar with mother, 2 table spoons in 8 or 16 ounces of water sipped thru out the day relieves gas. I have the vinegar and I am going to try this. Try it also, maybe it will work for you.
Have they checked your galbladder?  I was treated for 3 months for respiratory problems and/or viral,  on puffers, aerosol machine and prednisone. Symptoms were also chest and back pain and pain under my right ribs. Had 4 EKG's and chest xrays,  finally had an ultrasound done which found my galbladder twice the size it shoud be and full of stones.  Had been causing pressure on my lungs.  Had it removed but still battling with bowel problems.  Been a long 6 months!
I have the same symptoms. I've been to the ER numerous times. Have had about a dozen EKG's, bloodwork, x-rays and recently a (stress test) where they make you walk and jog on a treadmill, while monitoring your heart. All the tests have come back fine, and yet I still have persistent/frequent tightness and sharp pains in the chest. I've watched a few "Panic /Anxiety attack" videos on Youtube, and according to some of the testimonies on there, we're suffering from anxiety and panic disorders
I'm just now 28 and I developed G.E.R.D. something fierce. When I started working with kids in 2001(I was 18) and I began to have this problem. I would get pain in my chest espcially when I tried to take a deep breath. I would be walking sometimes and I would literally stop walking because I couldn't breathe deep enough to move. Sometimes, playing through pain and taking the deepest breath possible will help almost instantly. But, sometimes it doesn't help. You just have to do what works for you. Hope this helps.
May the Force be with you.
Trapped gas, out of breath, pain under arms throat and chest, slightly swelled tonsils. It took five years of exams and stress to find out that it is caused of overgrown bacteria and fungus such as candida in combination with gluten intolerance. When I follow a diet and try not to stress out all the symptoms disappear. If I get stressed or eat badly they come back. Try and research the symptoms of candida.
can someone please help me with something if at all possible? The pains with me started a couple of months ago. It first started with a severe pain right at my beastbone and stomach area. I went to the doc about this problem and he seemed to think it was some type of acid refluk. he put me on prevacid so it seemed to help for about a month and then the pain moved to the stomach and chest area like a burning sensation. I went back to the doc he sent me for a ultrasound to check for gallstones. test came back negative so he put me on nexium to see if that would help the problem. It seems that the burning sensation is now gone but i have a problem with heart palpations. Can acid reflux cause u to have heart palpations? I asked doctor about and he said they could but i wanted to get someone else opinion on this. Its not that my heart skips a beat or flutters its like a hard beat that you can feel through the chest. It comes and goes thru out the day and night. I have had this problem every since i first started getting the pains in the breastbone and the burning in the stomach. Thanks for any help!!!!
Im so glad to find this string of comments. At least i know im not alone. I was admitted to hospital for stomach inflammation sometime January this year for four days. After i was discharged, i was still feeling the pain in my stomach whenever i consume any food for at least a week or two. And last week, i have this weird chest and upper back pains until i have trouble sleeping at night. I didnt go to er instead i went to see my gp. He told me that it could be due to stomach ulcer and prescribed some medications to me. After i took the medicine, i felt slightly better the next day. But at night, the pains developed again. This time, i was short of breath and fainted. Went to er. Checked my pulse, sugar level, breathing. Everything was fine. Doc said there's nothing to be worry. He said it could be due to the indigestion problem. So, now im medication for 10 days. My pains always come and go. Yesterday i dont feel the chest and upper back pain but today its back. I have been missing few days of work too.

I have also other symptoms like when i wake up in the morning, i can taste something sour in my mouth. I think its the stomach acid.

I really need help but no docs seem to be able to help me. I have seen more than 3 doctors in the past two weeks.    
I first felt the sharp pains in my upper left chest when I was 22 years old. It freaked me out since my family has had a history of heart attacks so I went to the ER. They took EKG, xrays etc. and said it was gas. Now when I get those pains (occasionally) in my upper left chest I know what it is and it usually only last for a couple hours.

About a week ago my chest would hurt if I took a deep breath. I felt winded and had shortness of breath. It progressively got hurt. At night my side, then lower back started hurting. I thought maybe I pulled a muscle in my sleep. The pain in my chest would come and go and I knew what that was but I didn't think the pain in my mid/lower back on my left side was gas.  However, if I sat up or walked around the pain pretty much went away. When I would lay down it hurt like hell. Finally this morning, I noticed I am now having the same pains on my right side of my back. I've come to the conclusion this has to be a lot of gas that is just trapped and traveling around my body (upper chest and lower back) perhaps due to the position of my body. This has been going on for 4-5 day. How in the hell do I get this gas out. I can't seem to force myself to burp. I am going to drink just water and not eat anything.  It took me a while to figure this out because I've never had back pains from gas.
I FELT THE SAME WAY THIS LAST SATURDAY NIGHT.  THIS WAS AN OLD TRICK MY MOM USE TO TELL ME.  ON YOUR BED BECASUE ITS SOFT.  GO ON ALL FOURS LIKE A CAT, LAY THE FRONT OF YOUR HEAD/BREAST DOWN ON THE BED WITH YOUR BOTTOM UP AS HIGH AS YOU CAN.  BOTH ARMS OUT IN FRONT OR ON YOUR SIDES. YOU WILL FEEL THE GAS MOVE UP AND OUT.  WHEN MY PAIN WAS GETTING WORSE I ROCKED SIDE TO SIDE TO HELP MOVE IT OUT.  
im 34 male..i been haveing chest pains for 4 days so i went to the er..didnt want to but i did they cheked my blood pr..it was high then they did a ekg....after 4 hours of sitting there hooked to that danm thing they gave me a shot in the *** and sent me home with a papper saying see my doctore for the blood pr,,and if pain gets worse are i run fever to go back so really after all of that i still aint 100% sure what the hell this is its not a stedy pain but does hurt like hell it gets worse with how i move sometimes i can sit in a way where theres no pain but next thing u no there it is agin i allso been burping alot ...
hi all

i have recently had a baby who is 4 weeks old. During my pregnancy i kept getting this really severe chest pain and back pain which would make me vomit and dizzy and cause me to faint. My GP put it down to the baby kicking on my diaphram but now i have had my baby a month ago i am still getting these pains. They only used to last a couple of hours but now they are lasting 8-10 hours and sometimes both day and night. It is getting me really down now because when i have these pains i cannot look after my children properly as i can barely walk and move because everything hurts. I have been back to my GP and he prescribed me some antacids as he has put it down to Acid Reflux and Trapped wind. Tablets still not helping so when to A & E last week and they couldnt find anything wrong so now waiting to go and have a endscopy to see if that will shine some light on this.
it's nice to hear someone mention diet in this thread.  i have a lot of the same symptoms and have had all the usual tests (ekg, blood work, chest x-ray, hormone panel - I'm 49) and everything came back NORMAL, whatever that is.  Anyone reading this should google MSG.  It's a ubiquitious food additive that has been proven to affect people in a BAD way neurologically.  I have given up on doctors--they are so out of touch and I feel are just in the game to push the drug remedies.  I'm convinced it's all mostly about diet (eating organic and avoiding food additives, dyes, fructose, artificial flavoring, etc.).  Also, I just finished a parasite cleanse and it seemed to help quite a bit...The body is not designed to digest and utilize crap, which is what most of us have been eating all our lives.  The further food is from it's natural state, the more problems your body will have with it.
It is trapped gas throughout your body. I experienced pain from my left and right side of my chest that traveled from time to time to my neck, back, and abdomen. At one time I thought I was having a heart attack up until I burped and passed gas and it relieve the pain. Another time I had a lot of pressure into my face and I felt some wind escape through my left ear. I took OTC Prilosec and it helped. Later in life I noticed the gas would seem to come back from time to time and I'd take Prilosec and again it would take it away, but I then wondered what was causing the gas to come back. After the Prilosec relieved my gas I started focusing on eating foods that strengthened the heart, begun working out to strengthen my entire body, ate foods full of protein and fiber, made sure I was getting my vitamins and overtime I noticed the gas never came back. I went on a diet later after that experience but the diet I was doing wasn't giving my body the correct amount of calories or nutrients my body needed and my gas returned. I then made better choices in my diet and the gas naturally went away and I gradually added cardio and weight training in the picture. I later stopped exercising thinking the gas was gone for good and became less active and the gas came back, so then I had to retrace my steps from the past and remember what I ate before or what was I doing before and finally I remembered what I had done when it seemed to leave. Mine seem to develop due to poor diet and lack of exercise as well. My advice is to also retrace your steps and to see when the gas comes, try Prilosec or whatever is your choice and first relieve yourself from the pain, then try strengthening your body mainly focusing on your troubled area or areas, such as, whatever areas that the gas seems to attack and see what happens. For a temporary relief, try massaging or have your spouse gently massage the area throughout the day and mostly before bed. This is what seemed to work for me and I hope it works for you guys too. Good Luck! :)
I have chest pain also been to the doctor,had my arterys check, and was told it could be gas in the chest, i was told to try charcoal capsules before meal or whenever    
Wow nice to see so many have the same kind of problems. For the past 3 months I have had a twinge / pinch behind my left breast that has been getting progressvily worse with time.  Not it feels like a stab in my heart. I have had the EKG, Echo, Monitor and no sign of anything that would cause these symptoms. So My Primary care doc has put me on an anti-acid meds and wants me to get a chest cat scan done (just to cover all bases). Even though my Cardio and Primary care say it's not heart related, I still get panic attacks everytime I feel the pain because it feels so heart related. I will get stabbing pains right there, behind my left breast. Scary stuff!!!  I hope the acid reflux meds help and we can determine that's what it is. It's the not knowing that makes it most scary I think.
I am a 42 yr old female....just recently had problems with throat and ear being of some bother due to allergies or sinus.  Because it hurt to swallow I had a not so good diet.  Now that I have been able to eat again normally due to my throat and ear healing..I have had pains in my chest on the left side right around my breast and rib area.  It has bothered me as it could be heart related.  But then I do burp and feel better.  As it does make you hurt in other places as the gas builds up.  I hope that it is just gas and not a problem issue with the heart as this would scare me.  This has only started in the last week or two.  Plus I am not sleeping good and it could also be fatigue and stress due to other issues I am going thru.  Hopefully this will pass and clear itself, if not a trip to the Dr. is on the agenda soon.
Try drinking a large (16 oz) glass of prune juice before and after dinner. In about a half hour things (gas and what not) clear out pretty well for me.
I am a 50 year old male....And for about a year now I have suffered from the same symptoms. It goes away sometimes for as long as 3 weeks then comes back. I do not have insurance so I have spent a small fortune with doctors and all tests come out normal. I have made 2 trips to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack and all tests came back normal. Now I just live with it. I do have another symptom that I did not see posted here and that is constipation. I have a BM every 3 to 4 days and after that I am dizzy for 4 to 5 hours. Anyway it is nice to see others with the same problem, I do not feel so alone now. I have learned to live with it but sometimes like today the extreme fatigue and dizziness get to me and I get very depressed.    
Until recently, I never had any trouble releasing gas. I was always flatulent but after a few weeks of intermittent painful chest attacks with sweating, shortness of breath, lasting from 2 mins. to 10 mins. thus far, culminating with a BM, most times, I went to the doctor thinking I had a heart attack. I was told to drink plenty of water, take Gas X and watch my diet. Well, I just emailed my doctor that she needs to come up with something else because the Gas X isn't working. From reading most of your reviews, I should be thankful I'm not having gas troubles in as many places as you.  Like everyone else, I'm most grateful that I came upon this web site. I await my doctor's response because not eating, not sleeping well and being afraid of these attacks is not the way I want to live my life at 65. Plus, I would like to know if my medications/supplements (increased dosage of Lisinopril, Norvasc, fish oil, vitamin d & calcium) have caused this change. I had my gallbladder removed in '08 and bowel movements (more at 1st, now difficult to finish) have been different since then too. I hope all of us feel better soonest. drajack
Hi, I was reading everyone's comments, it is nice to know I am not alone but feel sorry for all that have these pains as I am going through something similar. I would like to know if anyone gets or got pain mid left of chest on the upper part just to the side of the collar bone or beneath it? It's a stabbing pain in the chest and I feel it radiating in my left upper back close to my shoulder. Please let me know.
I have had this happened to me several times over the corse of 4 or 5 years. When it firs happened I thought was having a heart attack. At least I thought is what heart attack symptoms felt like. Pressure-like chest pain building-up and getting worst as minutes go by. The first time the whole thing lasted about 2.5 hours and all of the sudden goes away. It was only the first the second time where it lasted that long. Since then, I've had it few times, but for a much shorter periods each. I personally think is some sort of gas build-up that causes pressure against organs. It feels scary and because of THAT can also cause a panic attack.
Hi everyone , was wondering if anyone can help me x
Im 17 and pregnant and last night I went to bed fine as normal but woke at 4.30 with a stabbing pain through my right shoulder blade through to the centre of my chest, I got up because it was unbearable ans the pain made me be sick a load of times, this is really scary to me because I cant deal with pain and parents away on holiday I dont know what to do.. Sometimes the pain moves up my throat to my jaw which also really hurts.. I have had gaviscon which didnt work and I cant really keep food down (which is strange because I never got morning sickness)
Please help it really hurts xxx
Sarah
Yea. I was having what I thought was a heart attack then I snorted 2 grams of cocaine and went to sleep while a panic attack was in progress like a true gangsta. Run and tell that. Prince Simpson Kid.
Hi Everyone,

I'm a 28 year old, who was last year diagnosed with Anxiety, I was getting heart palpitations. This was after I found a Lump on the left side of my throat near my sinus, and was soo scared to go to the doctor I think I gave the anxiety to myself.  The Lump is  right next to my larynx on the left side and right below my sinus.  I was referred to a ENT, he said there is nothing abnormal in my throat and the lump could be from allergies or a stomach problem.  I have been experiencing a lot of stomach pain which radiates to my back, and feels like someone is stabbing me in the upper back right where my seperate from my back through to my stomach.  Last night I woke up at 3am Thinking I was having a Heart Attack, The pain was in my chest Under My rib Cage and through my back like I was being Stabbed...Everytime I go to the doctor I get and EKG just to be sure, They Say my heart is healthy.  Does anyone know what this could be, the lump in my throat hurts at times, and If I DONT take previcid daily I have BAD Heartburn. I Also Have Been experiencing Heart Palpitations, Like my heart Will stop beating and then restart itself again. Please HELP!
Since I give birth in march of this year i have been getting mad pains in my back, chest and abdomen. It has happened about 15 or so times now in the last 5 mOnths and it really is unbearable pain! Feels like there's about 10 knives stabbing me everywhere and it turns into a burning sensation after a while  I ended up Phoning an ambulance but was sent home with anti bioitics for a "chest infection" and the doctors say it's a trapped nerve but then why is it painful in my chest and belly :( any ideas
Hi a lot of people on here sounds like symptoms of gallstones this can feel like gas and pressure in your chest and hurt into your back between your shoulder blades and usually happens at night. Burping a lot can also be a symptom. Hope this helps
I'm 38 and about 3405lbs. I have had chest pains the last few days.  Sharp pain on the left side like a stabbing kind of pain lasted a few seconds and went away.  Today it started hurting again but less painfully and continuously.  Both times I was just sitting and it was followed by sweating and then extreme tiredness.  I had to fight to stay awake.  What could be causing this?
that should read 345lbs
lynda  im a male 38 and have been have these same symptoms i can be feeling fine and these symptoms just start they are so annoying but i have been to heart doctors and they say there is nothing wrong with my heart i spend alot of money on doctors and never really got a straight answer they all say acid reflux or celtic  i take meds for acid reflux and they help alittle i also have to take meds for blood pressure  when i have these symptoms they make my blood pressure high i have found out the hard way to not let these symptoms cause me to panic because that will only make them worsen i hope you get some comfort soon

my bf was laying on top of me last night and I felt a sharp pain in my chest that I've never felt before. I told him to get off me in case it was his weight but the pain continued even when he was off me. I could almost pinpoint where the pain was so I pressed it with my fingers and it made a "squish" sound. I felt the pain disappear. I told him to lie on top of me again and I didn't feel the pain. Weird. I almost want it to happen again because I actually enjoy squishing whatever that was...trapped gas perhaps?
Hello all,I would wake up in the morning short of breath,I do smoke,I would burp 200 times a day,and next day only 10times,3 weeks ago for 4days straight it felt like something was sitting on my chest,not painful but lots of pressure,I have small short bursts of pain just left to my nipple area on left side,I think I have anxiety s swell as it freaks me out,and I will them be in bed most of the day,I get dizzy aswell,if I should lie in front of TV or any way weirdly I would not be able to swallow,it seems its worse day after I had alcohol,I am 26 weigh 75kg, I have had 3 EKG oxygen heart blood test,all came back fine.I would sometimes get a warm feeling over heart insides gave me Pantaloc 40mg to drink about 2 months ago and no change. Could this be anxity,could all 3 EKG be wrong. My stomach can bloat so bad looks like I am pregnant am so tired of this feeling of shortness if breath etc,and that 4 day pressure really scared me,the doc on my last EKG sat and looked at my paperwork from machine and said that something that's suppose to be on level 4 or something is showing on 2 NO idea what that means,but when I phoned her later said her machine could be faulty WTF(I paid for faulty) .please email me if you can.neil.***@****
i have gone off and on to the cardiologist for many years for different things. i have bad anxiety and sometimes horrible panic attacks....trapped gass in my chest area had been the cause for so many of thoses attacks its rediculous..and i was not aware..it gets me during the day sometimes too..but the worst times is at night ..and its usually because i ate late..or ate and then layed down right after and didnt get all the burps out...thought it was my heart...my heart doc said that when you have gas trapped it pushes up on the diaphram..makes it feel harder to breath your diaphram and traped gas pressure CANand WILL push up on your lungs and heart cavity....due to all the pressure...NOW.. when you are laying down at night..as i do.. and wake up in a panic feeling hot and lots of pressure in your chest....(he says when ever gas sits in one spot and is trapped it heats up and expands) causeing you to feel the increase in temp. and lots of pressure where ever the gas happens to be..which for me is usually my chest right by my heart and breast... does not stop until i can burp up the majority of the gas...causes my heart to pound which he said will happen when there is some pressure on the heart.....he told me to go see a gastrointestonal specialist and that may help figure it out......sudden waking up causes panic and i think i fell shaky all over before the panic even starts...it has seemed to help that i know that it not supposed to be a heart issue as i have had a stress test...so it helps with the anxiety somewhat but still have it ...have to try to get control over your mind... if a doctor just treats u like you are crazy then they dont care..get some 2.3.4.5. opinions till u find a good one if u can.. read up on organics ..watch the movie called "food matters"  read and read for yourself.. there are so many ways to cure or help tings naturally.. there is not one sinthetic chemically in your body unless you put it there.. your body is not made up of that crap and is not made to function or process that crap... modern medicine has help alot of people in alot of ways,......but somethings are taken to far...and as far as disease and cancer modern medicine has come up short.....there ARE PROVEN cancer and disease cureing methods that are way more natural..and if done right truely do work.....and i dont mean just herbs and things...which can be part of the process but no one thing usually does it .. its a combo of good things..and full body detox.. it is and was proven that no cancer can survive in an oxygen rich alkaline inviroment...to much acid in the body not just the stomach can cause all kinds of problems..get some ph strips for people not pool water..and check and read up on ph in the body....test your saliva of urine.. blood ph stays the same so checking that wont help....look Dr leonard coldwell... look up naturopathic doctors.. there is so much info and help from good people out there you just have to search...
I am 18 and have the same symptom... i have called the doctor because i got sick and they said i had step throat after a couple of day.. i started to get sharp chest pains in between my breast right about my heart, everytime i breath in hard or drink or eat something.. it hurts very badly... but my mom and everyone else tells me its just acid reflux and i have had acide reflux for awhile and it has never gave me this sharp of a pain before
I'm a 39 yr old female who has just spent 3 1/2hrs at A&E today as i was advised to go due to serious chest pains, initially they felt like a tightening then it changed to the stabbing sensations all of which were on my left side just above my left breast. I don't smoke and i rarely drink, although i have had breathing problems before anxiety types i have never experienced anything like today. The pain was so bad it doubled me over frustartingly the ECG results showed nothing my lungs were clear and the doctor was unsure as to what the cause was. My life has been extra stressful of late my breathing has been effected ehen ive been eating my meals and even ehen i'm totally relaxed i have to get up and walk around just to catch a 'proper' breath. I very much don't want todays events to become a regularity so really need some advise!! Much thanks Donna
Have you heard anything back at all as my symptons are exactly the same as yours?? Don
I'm 9 months pregnant I get sharp stabbing pains from my chest to my back and I know its just gas its a super uncomfortable and annoying pain comes and goes
I thought i was the only one. Is there a name for this condition we all seem to have?
i too fell gas trapped in my stomach.and chest, i use a heat blanket on my chest which helps me sleep, then i try burping the gas in the morning
i also had the same symptoms for 2 and a half years.... after multiple visits to the ER, i decided to take matters into my own hands (the symptoms get so bad that its scary) so i KNEW that it wasnt anxiety and that there was something else behind it.... i had teas, antacids, gas releivers, and nothing... THEN.... i went to get a colonic.... while i was on the table nothing happened for about 20 and then i felt a VERY sharp pain on my left side for about 3 seconds (but it felt like 3 hours)  the pain traveled from my left chest area all the way down to my lower stomach.... PROBLEM SOLVED doctors wont tell you that because they dont believe in it.... do reasearch on colonic irrigation in your area... thank me later....

good luck.
Hi.  I am almost 22 years old, & I JUST started having severe chest pains.  The first time was a few days ago, & it was on the right side of my chest.  Then it happened again last night, but this time it was in the center of my chest, between my breasts.  My fiance said it was just gas, which I eventually did "pass gas" & burp a few times..but the pain in my chest was so intense I couldn't stand up or walk around it hurt too bad and was making me too nervous, so I just lied down.  Whenever I lie down, it seems to help, but as soon as I stand up, it starts hurting again.  I ended up taking 2 tums tablets, as recommended by my fiance's mother whom is a nurse, & like I said I eventually "passed gas" & burped a few times, & then I felt better.  However, I want to MAKE SURE it was just gas, so I am supposed to be getting a call from my doctor on Friday when she is back in the office, & her nurse said if it happens again & gets worse that I need to go the E.R.  I am hoping it does not happen again before talking/seeing to my doctor on Friday.  It is very very painful for me & makes me very nervous.  Since I lie down because it relieves the pain, I tend to fall asleep after it is over.  I don't know if whatever it is makes me tired? Or if I am just tired after being so freaked out then relived while laying down?  I am glad that I found this page because it seems that other people have similar symptoms & I am hoping that it is just gas, as well as for everyone else & not something more serious.
-Michelle
YES, I GET THAT SHAKY FEELING ALSO IN MY LOWER INTESTINAL AREA FROM TIME TO TIME - USUALLY WHEN SOMETHING I HAVE EATEN HAS NOT AGREED WITH ME.  THE SHAKING IS LITERALLY TERRIFYING!  MY LEGS QUIVER LIKE I AM HAVING SEVERE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS OR SOMETHING (WHICH IS JUST CRAZY BECAUSE I DO NOT DRINK OR ABUSE DRUGS OF ANY KIND). I ALSO HAVE SHORTNESS OF BREATH AT THE SAME TIME, ALONG WITH OTHER STRANGE SYMPTOMS (FEELS LIKE SOMETHING BAD IS GOING TO HAPPEN AT ANY SECOND).  I AM CONVINCED THIS IS ALL RELATED TO "GAS PROBLEMS!" I TAKE NEXIUM EVERYDAY AND EAT VERY HEALTHY BUT THAT DOES NOT SEEM TO MATTER.  IT DOES WORK YOU UP AND CREATES ANXIETY, WHICH AS THE OTHERS COMMENT ON, ONLY COMPOUNDS THE PROBLEM FURTHER!  PLEASE HANG IN THERE AND TRY TAKING GAS X MINT STRIPS, DRINK LOTS OF WATER AND MOST OF ALL - PRAY!!!  GOD IS OUR ULTIMATE "HEALER OF ALL HEALERS!!"    
I too have been having problems with excessive gas for the last year or so.  I can feel the gas building up and try to burp or fart and nothing.  I also end up feeling constipated because of the gas.  Eating a Gala Apple usually helps the gas dissipate after 20 minutes or so.  I have also started drinking diluted Bragg's apple cider vinegar to balance the acid out in my stomach.  It helps me - YMMV.  Lots of places to check out Apple Cider Vinegar health benefits on the web.  Google it, see if it will help you.

Another symptom I have is the floating muscle pain in my chest.  Usually on the left and floats to the right.  One day I was leaving work and BAM! the Pectoral Minor muscle pulled and started to spasm.  It went on for almost 5 minutes.  I thought it was a heart attack.  But 2 Advil and a few minutes of calming down it seemed better and more importantly, didn't bother me again for months.  Unfortunately it's back, but not nearly to the degree it was when it spasmed.  I'm stretching and rolling the muscle out, but does anyone else have any ideas?

BTW, I too am glad I found this place.  My idiot HMO doctor doesn't listen when I tell her what's wrong, just tells me to exercise (which I do) and watch what I eat.  

-Mark

I don't know if you ever found out what this was, but it sounds very much like what I was diagnosed with. Actually I wasn't diagnosed with it, until I mentioned to my cardiologist that my uncle had just passed away suddenly with cardiomyopathy. My doctor immediately did another electrocardiogram and confirmed I too had it. It's a genetic disease that can skip some siblings in the same generation or not. I was told if one parent has it, you have 50% chance of having it, but if but parents have it, you have a 75% chance of having it. The key things you said were the poking of a needle in the heart, and pain near or in the armpit. I use to sweat and have anxiety attack along with the symptoms until I learned what it was and my doctor controlled the symptoms with med.
i thought i was havin a heart attack tonight, i was scared, i still have some pains now but its not as bad as it was an hour ago. i thought it could be gas so i went toilet, now the pain has almost gone. i was shaking so much and was hot then freezing, i thought i was gonna die. it seemed worse wen i layed in bed. i realise now it was just gas and i was having a full on panic attack. im glad i found this page, it helped calm me when i knew it wasnt a heart attack. this is the first time it has happened to me, i hope it never happens again ):

I have had similar symptoms to most of the people on here for years.  Chest pains which are short stabbing ones that last less than a second, and happen fairly frequently.  Left arm pain, dizzyness, and shortness of breath.  As soon as they come on I start to panic and get anxious which makes even the smallest pains seem like the worst thing in the world!

I've had my heart and lungs checked by my GP and in hospital twice before when i thought I was having a heart attack. and according to the tests all seems to be fine.

I went to a nutritionist to get allergy tested.  I wasnt allergic to any single food type (wheat/gluten etc).  I explained that as well as the pain my nose is blocked quite a lot of the time, I feel hungover when I havent been drinking, and this was what he said:

"The symptoms you describe are entirely consistent with fungal-type dysbiosis. Fungal-type dysbiosis refers to an imbalance in the bacterial population of the body. Antibiotic use, high sugar diets and excessive stress as potential causes of intestinal imbalance, which allow unregulated growth of the opportunistic yeast. The end result is that fungi like candida albicans, which exist peacefully in most people, become overgrown and cause a range of unwanted symptoms (these can vary from person to person, but typically include inflammation, sinusitus, itching, carbohydrate cravings, bloating and fatigue).

I refer to this as fungal-type dysbiosis because, in most cases, it is fungal organisms that cause the problem. However, there are some cases when pathogenic bacteria can mimic these fungi. The symptoms and treatment are identical, with both requiring a no-sugar diet and the use of anti-microbials and probiotics.

The carbohydrate content of your diet will need to change in order to starve the fungi and eliminate them from the body. Maintaining this strict regime will be necessary until die-off is complete (typically 2-8 weeks). Be aware that a die-off reaction, also known as a Herxheimer Response, is likely in the first few days of adapting the diet.

This acute die-off reaction, which may last for 3-7 days, is stressful on the body. You may need to avoid gym training and use saunas during this time."

I am currently on the diet and hope this helps others in my situation.  My advice, after you have been checked out by a doctor, go to see a nutritionist.

Good luck.
I would suggest eating a very light snack then taking a nap. The snack will kind of calm your pain down and the nap will give your body a chance to rest and the pain should go away. If it's not gone try prevacid.....its wonderful!! I get the pain all the time and when i take a prevacid and go to sleep i'm much better when i wake up
I am not a doctor and I am only citing things that worked for me.  Anyone that is experiencing what may be life threatening should go to the doctors/hospital.
1. Bad posture can put rib cage pressure on the stomach, causing re-flux or pinched nerves in the rib cage.  Sitting for long periods of time require good posture.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0tGBnpMt2U&NR=1
2. Anxiety attacks can be stopped by just letting go.  Instead of focusing and worrying about the extremely terrible feeling your having, just stop trying to fight it and let it run its course, it should end in a few minutes and heart rate should return to normal.  The more you fight, the longer the cycle will run.  By losing the battle you are winning the war.  Don't give your body an acid bath with anxiety attacks.  http://www.panicend.com/index.html
3.  Bad diets, high in fats and sugar will cause acid re-flux. Eat more whole foods.  Drink plenty of water. Eating cruciferous vegetables are very healthy for the GI tract but also cause more gas.  Yogurt has probiotics for digestion.  Apple cider vinegar is helpful for reducing acid re-flux.  This may be due to how the LES closes when it's sensors detect enough acid.
4.Get plenty of exercise.  If running causes more indigestion, then walk.
5.What BELLATRES said about lying with the torso supported by the bed and the knees on the floor while rocking side-to-side and forward and backward actually works to let out gas.  Just relax and give it a minute.
6. Don't eat a few hours before bed and use an incline if necessary.
7.  If an ulcer is suspected then look into mastic gum and manuka honey.
8.Your mindset has a huge impact on your health.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYYXq1Ox4sk&feature=related.  I don't agree with his religious view but he has valuable information for stress.  Natural deep-breathing is also very good.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh_C4LBBMrY
9. Nothing beats prayer, I will pray for you all.
Hi, I want to help those of you whom have been suffering from the same symptoms as me.
I suddenly experienced chest pains after eating a buffet of junk food washed down with coca cola.
I couldn't breath, I had stabbing pains in my heart, my head was pounding,  I felt weak, and dizzy. I was about to black out and my wife called the ambulance.
The ER doc placed me in the hospital for two days and let me go home after they preformed a series of heart CTs and other tests that came back all normal, except an Xray showed alot of gas in my stomach area.
One month later it all happened again, but worse, I couldn't talk normally(confusion and delirious) and the ER doc placed me in the hospital for a week. I had Heart Catheter Tests and Gall Bladder tests, Heart and Stomach CTs, MRI's and after 80 thousand dollars worth of tests, they sent me home and said they didn't know what the problem was, but my heart was fine, and my arteries were remarkably clear(I am 44 years old).
Well, I tried everything, searched the internet, talked to doctors, asked other medical professionals, everything!
Finally, I self-discovered that I had a serious "gas" problem, so I took Maalox and it did help some. I also discovered that if I ate anything sweet, the problem reoccured again. I stopped eating sweets, and started taking one daily tablet of Prilosec(over the counter). I was fine for one year, no problems, but then I had a candy relapse, and two pieces of chocalate cheese cake later, I had a reoccurance of the bad symptoms again. I thought that I was becoming a diabetic, but I started testing my blood sugar daily, and no, I am not diabetic. For some reason, sugared treats caused my gas to build up in my system faster than I can expel it. I also picked up a Bladder Infection which made the symptoms worse, and it kept giving me a bad taste in my mouth too. I took some antibiotics and I changed my diet, and now I feel better.
So, no more treats, no more coca cola, no more spicy foods, and I have had no more attacks!
Good to know I'm not alone in this. Just recently trapped gas has caused a tightness in the side of my neck. I take Gas X but that doesn't seem to work very well. Should I have an endoscopy?
Thank you everyone for the comments. I recently started feeling these exact symptoms and feelings. I recently was rushed to te ER cuz i thought my heart was seriously wrong, yet to find out it was an anxiety attack. Though I was diagnosed with mono, I feel soooooooooooo much better and relieved to be honest to hear that I am not alone in this. Thank you all of you again for sharing and posting and hopefully all is well with you guys and me too. I go to the doctors soon just to make sure and if I hear anything I'll be sure to post it. Thanks again!
I have everything you just describe, its scary... i often wonder at night if ill even wake up. And the doctors all say the same thing, its ibs or gas, or acid reflux or back problems.. and thats just what it is, seeing all these other ppl still ALIVE with the same issues...it must be gas, and we have to live with it. the only way to feel better is to literally let loose! and it can be very hard sometimes, but moving around (even tho it hurts) can help.
I went to the ER about 2 years ago for similar pains. I was 25 at the time. I am now 27 and having the same exact pain. Pain in my chest, shortness of breath, naseau(sp?) and pain in my back and upper stomach. I have had gas and have been burping like crazy and feel it might just be what I had a few years back. I am going to give it a few days and if it doesnt get better with lots of water and fiber, then I will visit the doctor. I am also glad I am not the only one with these symptoms. Oh, and I also have slight dizziness.
Thank you all for sharing your stories, I'm a 39 year old male, and over the past 2 years I've had just about all of the symptoms mentioned, complete with ER visits, EKG's, Echo Stress Tests and chest x-rays.  I take prescription stength zegrid and reglen pills to combat my acid reflux, they help, but I still battle the pains every few weeks. My doctor prescribed me valium for anxiety but I refuse to take them, I'm really tring to deal with it with positive mental outlook (a work in progess). I really don't think whatever it is that we all seem to have will be the death of me. I have good days and bad days, I just hope that the good ones out number the bad ones.  I wish the same for all of you as well.
Hi. I'm 34 y old F. Have had similar symptoms over the years on and off. Odd jabbing, piercing pain radiating throughout my body. Have had many Drs' visit and various tests done and it shows nothing. Dr. recently prescribed prilosec to combat too much acid build-up. Provides minimal relief and since Ive had to take Tums to combat the occasional flare-up of heartburn/gas pains. Extremely uncomfortable need answers but have run out of options. Have tried alternatives means:  ie yoga for stress/anxiety relief and drinking only warm beverages to combat onset of pains. Seems to help but only lasts for small periods if time. Need answers help pls.
I am just 41yrs old...Earlier before my MI ( just happened 6 months ago, May 2011), I used to burped to relieved some kind of pain like some needle poking the organs inside my chest. I burped maybe hundred times a day. My MI (Myocardial Infarction) experience was severe pain in my chest that someone squeezing my heart (it was different "pain" compared to the pain that we felt because of gas). I ended up with 3 stents due 80% blockage. After Angioplasty and further test like echogram, ecg, the doctors says- my heart is now normal (?)... well, because of possible anxiety, doctor used to tell their heart patient that "GOOD, GOOD! YOUR ECG AND OTHER TEST IS OKAY!, ... CONTINUE YOUR MEDICINE!"  but I dont know if there is any other meaning to that "ABNORMAL ECG" written on that piece of ECG report that he reads.
The "GAS" pain nowadays gives me weird thoughts about dying ,Sometimes my breath is too short. I also feels weak and dizzy especially when i walk much and stressed out. All i have to do is to burps a lot, it relieves some of the discomfort.
My current cardiologist said... "that gas you have is because of the Aspirin that stimulate the acids inside your stomach" (but how about earlier before my MI?, i was not taking any kind of pills that time?... they just gave me another set of stomach medicine that never gave any comfort or changes even after 2months. I stopped taking it. It may add up another toxin in my kidney later...I JUST BURP A LOT!
A pulmonary doctor (a relative) explained that because of STRESS gas accumulates and giving me those pinch pain, acids also gave a sensation of breath difficulties. Well, she's right, as a production engineer, my work is a very stressfull one. and even a simple thing that i do like driving, i noticed that i am bloating... with pain in the chest, center, upper, left, it will be there but just a brief period, a second, or a minute. I do have heart medicine for chest pain with me all the time but i never used it at all, means pain is tolerable but of course alarming - and anxiety!
STRESS CAUSED STOMACH DISCOMFORT... and so on...to heart... then may become worst...

Hey I actually found this site really helpfull it described alot what you guys are feeling i having the same symptoms and issues for most part....Anyways im only 17 years old so I know it cant be anything seriously most likely and the comments everyone post relieves some stress on the situation knowing it cant be to serious usually just irratating and annoying. I usually dont blog at all online but I couldn't sleep much right now, I notice when i go to bed someties it takes me a while to sleep because my back ( spinal cord) feels sore and mayby its related to my heart pains i get occasionly, Like at the moment I feel   like my heart area feels like its tightning and that worries me. Also i noticed some people said when they move around the pain sometimes goes away and when im in my bed, usually when i lay on my side or even when i sit straight up the pain goes away just a little bit.Someties im scared its a heart attack or something similar and im scared if im in my room and pass out no one will notice me till morning and that wouldnt be good at all. Im going to do more research and see what i can come up with ill have to bookmark this page and see what you guys think about my post. I seriously never blog online or on any of these websites. Good luck to all you. If you got some info let me know. Email me at j_brisbourne***@**** ill check it out see if any of you emailed me. Good Luck

Also I forgot to mention i have anxiety/panic attacks occasionly which suck! Same with ADD, Mayby its related to my heart pains! TTYL
I also forgot to mention my heart feels like a burning feeling/painful. Also a lit bit shortness of breath, I hate this cant sleep till it goes away but i thought mayby its related to stress and anxiety, because i noticed someties when i dont think about it or i feel more comfortable with the situation sometiems the pain goes away. Sorry if i miss spelled some stuff im tired half asleep lol.
I was in very bad pain with all symptoms described.
At first I thought it was a Galler Stone problem.
Went to do Ultra sound and the radioligist could not find my gall bladder due to the build up of gas and trapped wind. Gall Bladder was okay. Doctor explained to me that 65% of people experience this problem. Just got to learn how to eat sensibly.
Hi, Mitch! hope u r still there confused on what u have. That's what Id experienced during my MI. ER immediately cultured my blood confirming the presence of ENZYMES. this enzymes will tell if the patient really have heart attack... more enzymes found in your blood, more severe the heart attack is. A month after of coronary angioplasty, I landed on ER again with "CHEST PAIN", the same procedure they did but this time it was declared as "PAIN" due to GAS. They found no enzymes and ECG was also normal. Aside from my heart medicine, my maintenance for blood thinning and proper heart rhythm, they had given me muscadol (muscle pain reliever) and for gas relief.
You must go to ER immediately if you feel chest pain, no matter what it is. Heart will have only a maximum of 40minutes to pump if you have heart attack.
As a heart patient, I have a Glyceril Trinitrate with me wherever i go in case i may have chest pain but I never use it after my MI. I used to feel this PAIN  nowadays because I just relieved from it by just burping.
I am a 14 year old girl and I have continuous chest pains and feel like air is very thin. I also feel pain in my right arm and throat.
Hi Lynda,AT LAST!!! someone with my symtoms (symptoms).The consultant suggested that I may have FIBROMYALGIA RHEUMATICA but the pain I get is so bad its frightening,I literally growl and moan.sometimes it eases if I lie along the sofa on my right shoulder.I wonder do you have one continuous episode or does it come and go?My attacks can be one 1 long one or a mild attack then maybe two hours later a violent one,I have learnt that by drinking a can of fizzy pop the symptons really fall back (after a huge burp)
I cannot for my life fathom how it affects my jaw and the pain in my ears is like when you take off or land in an aeroplane.My pain can come on anywhere or time,If I need to go out I have started to take an anti inflamm I don`t know if it works or not but it stops me from stressing about,its the not knowing when it will happen.
The doctor hasnt told me anything. Im still trying to figure out what is wrong with me. Its like labor pains but in my arms, hands chest , hands and back. I need help because I was hospitalized and all types of tests were perform and came back normal. What can I do to stop the pain?
I think you have a GAS REFLUK. check yourself everytime you pee mix with blood.you will have a UTI>>>urinary track infection,but when you pee and no mix with blood this signs you have a Castro pain,and like something internal just like needle stick to your chest,you feel uncomfortable at all,sometime you feel like backache from left side to the right side.this is the problem with your Acid Refluk,Becuz you have  low acids to control your foods digestion.Acid in your body help to melts your foods.if your got low you might get a diarrhea ,heartburn,gastr-pain.other think,if you have  chest pain it is different situation pain.chest pain it mostly happen with people working out,they lift over weight,and people Hypertension(high blood pressure), diabetes.when you are over weight your heart try to pump faster,but it not fast enough to help your blood recycling to your cardio because the fatty built up around the arteries walls,you will got chest pain,and you will get a stroke,to prevent this happen please exercise everyday just only 1 hour or 2 hours ,eat a healthy foods,cut down salts and sugars.and people have a acid refluk problems please take a pack of ALKA-SELTZER before eat,it will help your acid refluk go away and your will fell comfortable to sleep or go out hang out with your friends....bye bye all have a wonderful Mary Christmas and a good weekend.good luck all!!!
I am having the same exact problem now. Been going on for a couple weeks now. Im on meds for anxiety n im still having these pains as time goes it gets a little worst.  The pain is on the left side at the end of my ribs all the way up to my arm chest, heart area. It feels like im about yo have some kind of heart atack. I get wierd feelings through my body at times and sometimes feel light headed. I been to the er twice and the reg doc im told its anxiety n acid reflux and maybe gas.. but it sure doesnt feel that simple, how can gas give u sharp stabbing pain in your heart? I really need some peace of mind im now ready to gi back to the er again :(
My husband has chronic trapped wind.  I have been trying to find a cure for him but so far nothing has worked.  Peppermint oil capsules, peppermint tea, with every meal, stomach massage and finally three teaspoons of bicarb of soda in warm water and drunk quickly.  If none of these work tonight even I will be pulling my hair out
I have had the same exact if not very, very similar symptoms in the past for the last 4 or 5 years now, and before that I had never had any type of ailments in the past other than the common cold and allergies because I have a very weak immune system due to not being breast fed because I am adopted also my biological mother did certain things while pregnant with me. But I am going to school for a career in the health care field and I also have several different licenses certifying me to make an educated guess. What I have learned from my own personal experiences in the past with these symptoms is that every time I have had these symptoms, the reason being was always trapped gas pains, as weird as it sounds but the trapped gas had made me feel almost as if I was having a heart attack and i was very short of breath and my chest was very tight, also i was having the most gut wrenching pain in my stomach and like i said the reason for these symptoms and pain was always trapped gas. I hope this helps even the slightest bit to give you more knowledge on what is going on and why this is happening to you.
i have the same exact symptoms. it is horrible at times. im a 34 yr old male and have had these episodes for atleast 15 years. its weird cause i can go months without an attack. on the other end i can have several attacks in a week. the weird thig is how fast the attack comes on then goes.  i have had my heart checked out several times and everything is fine there. i do have anxiety and i feel alot of it may be due to that. i had a full blown panic attack in 2007 that actually made the mucles in my ribs, hands, and jaw cramp so bad i thought i was gonna die..that was one time and idk if that has anything to do with it or not. i just try to eat slower and healthier. be well
I have the same problems as you and I find I can eat what I like providing I take digestive enzymes with Betaine HCL. with food. They work like magic. I had to take them for the same problem about a year ago. after three months I didn't need to take them. Recently my problem with gas re appeared. I'm back on the digestive enzymes and they are working a treat.
The gas is caused by incorrectly digested food passing from the stomach into the bowel an gassing off. You can get them from the health shop.
Same basic problem for years... turned out to be AV Block and Vagal Nerve issues. I don't have time for Ablation recovery until next month and a pacemaker won't cut it (ever), so I'll probably die a fairly young, healthy 45 year old male.
You may have pleurisy.  I had it, very painful, and not gas!!  Look it up.  Meds help!
I'm 6mnths pregnant,& I get sever pains on da top of my tummy, only wen I pass wind or relive myself in da toilet den I feel better, but sumtyms I dnt feel like passing wind & the pain is bad & I feel hot & flushed. Get dizzy as well. Plz if any1 knws wat I can do 2 relive dis pain wud really appreciate it
I started just before Christmas with a pain above my right breast that moved across to the centre of my chest.  It was Tuesday morning and I'd been up about an hour.  I thought I was having a heart attack.  The pain lasted about 5 minutes, at which point I sat down, leant forward, and burped.  The pain disappeared immediately.  However, since that time I find I can't stop thinking about it, and although (I think) I believe it was trapped wind/gas, I freak myself out imagining all kinds of fatal diseases.  I then end up feeling sick, dizzy, and am constantly expecting the pain to come back.  Am I now having panic attacks?  Today my ears feel a little blocked and I wonder if that is linked.  I also think I had a similar pain when my boss was speaking to me this morning (but am not sure if I imagined that).  I do have a stressful job, and preparing for Christmas was also stressful.  Diet wise, normally I eat a generally healthy diet, but in the weeks leading up to Christmas, there seemed to be chocolates, biscuits, cakes everywhere, and you just have to don't you.......    
Hi  I'm a 40 yo female and I've been having terrible tightness around my left breast.  When I burp I feel so much better. This has lasted several days.  It gets better than flairs up again.  I do take acid reflux meds. My left breast actually feels heavy.  Sometimes the tightness goes to the upper chest by my neck. I am not getting stabbing pains like others described.  I still think is it gas.  EKG came out fine. Any comments?
I also suffer and have the pain right now due to a crappy diet. I have used Nexeum and found it to help. I was told by a friend with the same issues to try organic sauer kraut, which I take in the morning with breakfast. I take about a tablespoon and I'm telling you that there is no disappointment. I did not take the kraut this morning cause I had to get to work, and I could kick myself in the ***.

Again try organic sauer kraut, no soda, little caffeine, no greasy foods, and no chocolate for a couple of weeks and you will PRAISE ME!! LOL
I also have this problem.  What you have to do is find out what your trigger foods are, and avoid them!  Mine are chocolate, orange juice, and cinnamon.  My pain will come days after I've eaten the wrong thing, so there are times I think I've gottten away with eating something, then it gets me.  This is the worst pain I've ever felt, so I know what you're going through.  I take omeprazole also, and as long as I watch my diet, I'm fine. I'm confused by others saying peppermint helps, since that is the WORST thing for acid reflux!
Hope this helps.
I have this same problem. Developed back about a year, or year and a half ago. Prior to that it was something I had only had happen on one freak occasion. I'm not sure what causes it, all I know is that it's incredibly unpleasant. Seems like each time this comes about, certain symptoms have worsened. In this last bought over the past two weeks, the sudden dizziness has been almost enough to make me fall over. Yesterday when I was sitting in my chair at work, I lost my breathe from the sudden on-set of dizziness. I actually had to clock out to break to get away from my computer for a minute because it caught me so entirely off guard that I couldn't see straight. I get the stabbing pains in my chest on the left side, around where I assume the heart is set.. as well as pain in my arm, hand, and abdomen on the left side. When the pain subsides it is followed by a burning sensation or a tingling numbness that can linger for quite some time. Often enough, after I regain my breathe, an ache will spread to my neck and shoulders. I don't honestly know what causes this.. I just figured it was linked to the gas build-up in my chest. I know it's not a heart attack, but lately I've been concerned that it could be something serious enough to cause me to lose consciousness if I weren't wary and sure didn't take the time to purse my lips and breathe, to be sure I retain enough oxygen, as breathing regularly doesn't seem to provide me with any symptom relief.
I am a 43 yr old male I have had these problem for years .Anyone whom is relieved or symptoms seem less after burping you probably have gas stuck somewhere . This usually happens when even mild stress is occurring in your life or eating certain foods and well you are one whom has this same problem .After many trips years ago to the ER my heart is fine .And I cant stress enough no pun intended anxiety makes the symptoms much worse after going to many doctors I had two give me lorazepam  1 gastro doc and 1  in the ER .After not one told me what lorazepam was for ,which helped me relax I looked on the internet .It's for Anxiety brought on by my chest pains .which causes a snowball effect making me tense and not allowing the gas to come up SO No Relief.Here is what I do know .I know my heart is fine when symptoms occur I take Maalox advanced maximum strength Antacid & ANTIGAS  Liquid. I can not emphasize enough LIQUID it works much faster than tablets .Also if I am not working I drink a beer soda if I am working .Do not sit down or lay down the gas wont come up.you must also try to stay relaxed I know its hard you may think your getting ready to kick the bucket hence the anxiety.the gas will not come up if you do not try to relax .I have not taken lorazepam for over three years as I do not like to take pills and I am not crazy about beer but it works.If you have chest pains go to your doctor get checked out if every thing is fine with your heart ,put maalox everywhere you go home work car.And try to relax it is the only way the gas will be allowed to come up .And I reiterate this is after you see your doctor to make sure it is not really a heart issue . your heart does not expel gas .TRY TO RELAX and let the gas come up
I recently just went to the ER about two days ago and the doctor said i was having an anxiety attack. I told him okay and i started taking Vistrial to calm me down and relax me. But now i'm getting these shooting pains in my chest and by my right brest towards my armpit. and it hurts like hell. Does anyone know anything. because i dont want to make another trip to the doctors if there going to tell me i'm having another anxiety attack. Cause honestly i dont think thats what it is. I will break wind and belch occasionally but it doesnt seem to help and thats what i thought it would be. i'm only 20 years old and i dont know what to do. can someone please help me.
***@****
Hello, I am a 16 year old female. I have been experiencing this pain for about a week. My doctor just prescribed me anxiety medications, but this was before these pains started happening. I thought it might of been from eating too much, but even after eating lightly it hasn't gone away. Mostly, my pains are right below my chest and under my rib cages. I play the trumpet and I have an honor band try out tomorrow. I can't breathe through my mouth deeply without feeling stab-like pains. I've been having anxiety attacks also. All of these newly found problems are very overwhelming, but I'm glad I found this page because my mom doesn't think anything about my pains.
I'm fourteen and my heart was having that needle pricking pain. I told my parents and they shrugged it off. Every few months my heart would do that flutter thing and it would make me stop breathing. It scared the daylights out of me the first time it happened. And now on my left side, right under my ribcage i feel a pain. its not like killer (I do have a high pain tolerance) and it flairs up every few minutes. Especially when i run or ride my bike. i was told it was anxiety, then i was told it was acid reflux, and now i was told it's just gas. It's confusing, because i have always been calm and relaxed so i doubt its anxiety. Maybe gas? i suffer from acid reflux): and get that lump your describing in my throat ( i suffer MAJORLY from sinuses) drink some juice, like apple juice. One thing that helps me with the heart pains, (It hurts at first, but the after affect is worth it!) is exercises, nothing intense like P90X. At first the pains start up in my hearts but after a good satisfying 30 minutes i feel great. DONT DRINK SODA OR EAT GREASY FOODS!!!!! hope this helps, it makes thing alot more bearable for me.
try just plain carbonated water (club soda) - nothing fancy, no flavors. Get the gas/wind out as much as you can. Do light workouts like Pilates or Yoga... the movement help with expelling gas. And if you do expel during the workout, who cares! :) Ppl don't know what your feeling. -- Do whatever you need to get rid of the gas.
For the lump in your throat buy a Ginger or peppermint extract, mix like a tsp. of it in 6 oz. - 8oz. of water, drink it at night. Do not use ice or cold water, make the water somewhat warm.
My husband had this problem, for a while we nixed cold and ice water. We bought a Britta or Pur water pitcher, we would fill it up daily and left it out on the kitchen counter.
If your problems persist, always seek medical attention. Your young, nip it in the bud while you can. :) Good luck!!
This sensation happens to me periodically.  It is really wierd.  It starts slow with a sensation of mixed pain that is always on in my left chest cavity and spreads up the left side of my neck.  My jaw and teeth even start hurting until finally i get to the point that it hurts to just breathe.  This first happened in the middle of the day in my office...got so bad that i was sure i was having a heart attack.  Got myself out to the geberal work ares and my staff thought i was having a heart attack too...then i said it feels like trapped gas around my heart...and asked for a can of carbonated soda which has always worked for me to pass stomach gas in the past! IT WORKED!  I drank the soda in a couple of big gulps, and once i started burping i could literally feel the pain leave my chest. Within  minutes i was feeling normal again.  Knowing this is NOT normal....i told my doctor about it and he sent me for a stress test which showed my heart to be ok.  I am very overweight and that proved to be a big factor.  He put me on little purple pill for a few months to heal my digestive track.  Only happens very sporatically...like twice a year.  Always my left side...neck down to abdomen.  Soda always relieves it quickly.  Two yrs. Ago i had an episode where my dinner got caughtbup in a spasm in my throat.  Scare the crap out of me.  Doc sent me for an endoscope which showed nothing serious.  A small hiatal hernia was the worst thing noted...but not bad enough to worry about.  That doctor told me that the biggest part of my digestive problems were weight related.  If i lose weight...the acid reflux , heartburn and  chest gas will go away.  I take prilosec every day to manage the reflux until i am able to lose the weight.  Not an easy thing  to do,as we all know.  I have sleep apnea, some anxiety issues and hypo active thyroid which makes it all a bit harder to manage.  Drugs and a cpap work miracles, but nothing is better than just dropping the pounds.  Still working on that with many successes and failures.  A yoyo effect which is very frustrating...knowing what you need to do it but not enough will power to succeed!  Sharing this story now as i woke up in the middle of the nite with one of my chest gas episodes.  Drank a can of soda then decided to Google gas pain in chest ... To see if others have similar problems.  Knowing you are not alone helps helps me keep my sanity.  It is hard to experience the pain and not have a clear answer...but the alternative could be much worse.  The 1st thing all need to do is tell your doctor about your pain and eliminate the worst case scenarios or at least get the right treatment for you.  One thing Google showed me is that we all have similar situations...but still different outcomes.  I just found it amazing that a simple carbonated drink can bring on such immediate pain relief in the moment...and wanted to share that in case it can help you too...but do not ignore the symptoms...make sure you follow up to be sure your situation is NOT only gas and acid reflux or hiatal hernia.
Yeah I think i have the same thing it started a few months ago. I always have to burp or fart. I also get plenty of gas bubbles and pain in my chest and stomach. Howeever, i get most of my pains on my chest on the left side. Its sometimes a throb, a sharp pain, or  a burn like feeling. I get scared when i get it. I have put myself into panic attacks a few times over it. And I never had panic attacks until  this past year. Im not sure whats wrong with me. Im thinking 3 things. 1. Severe Gas Issues, 2 Heart Disease 3. Panic/anxiety Disorder.......Im also very anxious. i worry about alot of things. So idk. I hate it though. Panic Attacks i can feel myself starting to get and I have learned to pretty much control them. Its all in the mind, and once I start thinking too much about something I get them, my body gets sweaty and kind of numb and I know right away its going to start, so I calm doiwn before my heart starts racing. But, I don't know what the pains are on my left side, sometimes they are right on the heart or sometimes they are on the left side by the nipple, but it *****! I can get the pain for hours, just be an and off throb.
I hope all of you get an e.k.g brushing off chest pain caused my father to die. At least do as they advised us after it was way too late.... Chew an adult size asprin and get in to the E.R. if it is gas, let them tell you. Always better to be safe then sorry... people love you more then you know.
well today i had trap gas and i tell u what i rather have toothache i felt like i was going to past out and that something was putting weight on my lungs it helps if someone pats you on the back bit like what u do to babies i find this help as it makes you burp! also just been to my local supermarket and got some trap gas pills which are called windeezz should help whatever happens you shouldn't panic although it very painful and i was crying just sit down and be calm let someone pat you on the back if it still hasnt gone in 10 mins you should ring for medical advice ! which i nearly did! it normal what you drink and eat e.g pure orange juice is not good! hope this helps you alot
Please tell your mom to speak to the doctor or find a new doctor. Something does not sound right!
I can't believe how many people have the same symptoms. I feel better already. I agree with the poster suggesting testing for celiac concerns. I notice not very many people mention it. If I stay away from white flour and sugar, I feel much better. Chewing food fully also helps. I love apples and found out I have to chew apple skins very well or I will bloat from them. It helped! I have a wonderful chiropractor who is very knowledgable. When I follow his food advice, I am much better.

The pain of the past two days is different than the usual pain, it mimics heart problem symptoms too much. I noticed someone mentioned starting a new medication and getting pain. I began a new medication a few days ago (though not for high blood pressure). My husband poo-pood the idea, but I may stop the medication if the pain continues.

I am going to keep tabs on this site. Thank you all so much for your honesty and sharing. I wish you all freedom from your pain.
I have a lot of the same problems but I am coeliac and already stick to a strict gluten-free diet, so I don't think that that makes an awful lot of difference.

I have been diagnosed coeliac for the past 11 years and my periods of having trapped wind/indigestion/pain in my neck and throat have increased during that time and not lessened, so I don't think that a gluten-free diet is the answer.

I also get scared stiff but I've had an angiogram and loads of tests on my heart during the past few years and the doctors all say that there's no problem with my heart - I hope they're right.
hi i was worndering if you ever got an answer as i have had the same thing for over a year now and no one seems to no what it is
Hello, I just wanted to write here to let you know that I suffer from every single symptom you mentioned, and I am sure it is related to my anxiety. Do you tend to get stressed out? I do. The only thing that helps is relaxing activities and relaxing in general. I hope you are feeling better by now.
What has eased really well these same symptoms for me is Aloe Vera Juice and Probiotics. I taked 2 to 3 times a day. Sometimes I combined with lemon juice or apple cider  or just plain water. I also been drinking in the morning a warm cup of apple cider with lemon juice and 1tsp of raw honey.  This has made a major difference with bloatness, stomach pains, gas, plus helps to have regular bowel movements. I have cut down taking just one probiotic pill per day, have change my diet to more fruits, vegetables, yogurt, etc.  and light dinners but never past 6pm. Good Luck God Bless.
I recently was suffering these same things, thought it was just gas (KNEW, even, I could feel the gas moving around) and decided to just try and wait it out. In the end it got so bad that I had no choice but to go to the ER for it. After numerous tests and such, including an EKG, several X-rays, an Uutrasound and a CT scan, they finally found the problem, and I was wrong about it just being gas. Turns out it was my gallbladder, which was severely swollen and distended. It caused severe pain all along my back, cramps, sharp stabbing pains in my chest and up to my shoulder on my right side, and general agony all over my torso.

Gallstones can cause this sort of pain as well, and if you are experiencing this sort of pain at all, even if (especially if, actually) it seems to be "normal" for you, you should really go to the doctor for it. If you have, and they haven't found anything wrong, try a different doctor, suggest is could be your gallbladder or something. Having your gallbladder removed is a pretty easy process and in the end it'll stop the pain from coming back ever again. But it's necessary to get checked out because this sort of pain is also common with heart problems, and both heart problems AND gallstones/gallbladder problems can end up being deadly if gone untreated.
i am a 72 yrs male and i have discovered the cure for trapped wind and other conditions.it is all to do with your diet
and digestive system.my diet is as follows; Breakfast.6prunes,oatmeal with a dessert spoon of honey,and stewed
apple,one  cup of coffee,and piece of krispbread.This breakfast gives a six hour hour slow burn without hunger pangs and the need for snacks.I eat two meals a day and no more.My main meal is,onion-celery-carrot-pepper-
rice- pasta.peel and chop all ingrediants fine and slow cook in a pan with olive oil add pasta sauce.
foods I avoid ,meat -white bread-potatoes-sweets and alcohol.
Ihave been on this regime  for three years and have reduced my weight by two stone.my blood sugar is 5 point2
and my cloresterol is 4.Iam not on any medication.Try my method,it works.

regards;Boris

regards;Boris
I do not like to hear of anyone being in pain but this web site has  been a bit comforting for me.  I just started to experience the gas pains under my left  breast near my rib cage and it hurts.  I start to panic really bad thinking that it is my heart and I begin to feel my pulse in doing that it makes me really go into a full blown panic attack, thank you all for all of your suggestions.
I know this comment is very late but I thought I would share with everyone my experiences and relief suggestions. For the past few years I have has really bad bouts of trapped gas. It's always around the stomach region; right under my breasts where my bra would wrap around. The pain is so intense I can hardly stand up straight or walk. It's like a stabbing pain with a lot of pressure and would last for up to 12-18 hours. About a year ago I met a woman that had the same problems and she recommended something that has worked for me almost instantaneously. As soon as I feel the pain coming on I take 2-3 Papaya Enzyme pills. Mine are made by Swiss Natural Sources and it's a chewable pill. As soon as I take them I feel them getting to work instantly. You'll feel the gas moving around and popping in your stomach. There may be some flatulence but at the point of pain it's a relief. To help the process I then lay on my left side with my knees to my chest; fetal position. It does not work if you lay on your right side for some reason. In about 10 minutes my symptoms are gone and I just have a cup of peppermint tea with honey or just plain hot water. That helps flush away any residual trapped gas that may be present. Since I've discovered these pills, I never leave home without them since they are a natural aid in digestion. Hope this helps someone as much as it's helped me! Take care.
I have had that same problem for a couple of months and it went away. i took a clean  out with herbs and when I looked it up on the net they said it was due to not enough organic sodium in my body, which is just fruits and vegetables, they contain high levels of organic sodium. So I began to juice fruits and vegies together like apples and carrots even the green vegies. took vitamins and gas relieve medicine. I felt better in less than a month's time. I also drank a lot of tea cut back on sweets and greasy food and eat on time.        
I am 58 years old and the SAME EXACT thing is happening to me.  Left side, under rib cage!  It feels like gas that won't move.  I was having some pain on the rib cage a while back and they did chest xray, cat scan, blood work& a colonoscopy and nothing showed up.  Today, the "gas" type pain is bad underneth the rib on the left side.  If ya'll found anything out, PLEASE let me know.  Quite frankly at my age, it's pretty scary!!  Thanks, made me feel better knowing others are having this too!
Yes it can.  As far as your esophagus goes gas can create pressure and affect nerves. Believe it or not it can induce heart arrythmias (see vagus nerve)
Root cause
Gut Health (Stomach) Solar Plexus-

Unfortunately Medical care is a business for all the industries (Insurance, Pharma Giants, GE and medical devices that are made, lucrative salaries for doctors, grants for university research etc etc.)
Unfortunately our economy is based in the Hegelian Dialect (problem reaction solution) Create a Problem to induce a reaction in the masses and present the pre designed solution.

A healthy and well society would spell disaster for the world economy and those that write the rules.

If they were to truly make you well and fix the root causes of your ailments it would destroy the economy and eventually them.

Why do you think they group the Food and Drug into one administration?
3 Areas to take over a world
1. Finances
2. Food and Water Supply
3 Information (media)

One medical symbol is the Caduceus-
a short staff entwined by two serpents, sometimes surmounted by wings. In Roman iconography it was often depicted being carried in the left hand of Mercury, the messenger of the gods, guide of the dead and protector of merchants, shepherds, gamblers, liars, and thieves.
protector of merchants, shepherds, shepherds lead sheep, gamblers, liars, and thieves????? ( its a no brainer)

Medical Industry is basically another elitist priesthood of sorts. Goal is to keep you functional with some level of comfort, not heal you. They sit on alot of technologies that would blow your mind but only release it when they can make great profit.

Rod of Asclepius ( more snakes) gods,
$$$$$$$$$$  the truth is so close to your faces you cannot see it.

The key is to be wiser than serpents...they arent as powerful as they would have you believe.
I've been to the Dr several times with this and he's sending me for a stress test again, last one was in 2008. It's scary when you wake at night with pain wish I could get some answers . I also have times when I think it's over and then it returns
Cut down on carbs and sugar,they raise insulin and cause a host of systems.
Once I gave them up all my problems went away.....good luck
Has anyone had the gas pains that targeted small, specific areas of your body? Occasionally, I'll have a sore foot. I move it around, burp, and the pain is gone. Many times it's my left elbow. It's sore and painful. I give it a bit of a rub, burp, then the pain is gone. I had a massive attack this past weekend. Unfortunately I'm a stage performer and it happened while on stage. Of course, it was really late at night, about 1am - 2am. I felt nearly crippled. I had pain in my knees that was really bad. It felt almost like flu type symptoms/soreness. After some time, and many burps, I started to feel better. It was a big attack though and I'm still feeling the dizziness, after 2 days. I guess the attacks don't care what you're doing at the time. They are coming, like it or not. Anyway, like the rest, I'm glad to find the info here, but it still sux. :-(
                                 Tim
Recently I have been feeling this bloated,pressure feeling under my heart then it travels to my upper back...I was a little scared since im only 22 and I would say i eat healthy no sugar drink lots of water and eats lots of greens...my releif of this problem is burping alot and i feel a sudden releif that will last for a couple of days then it comes back only when i think about it.For me its more of a "mind over matter" situation, the only thing that makes it worst is the anxiety but i just try not to think about it at all...I will say that i have much relief knowing that i'm not the only one suffering from this!
I have the exact same symptoms. All of them. I felt like someone had their hands around my neck.  Very scary, even called 911.  Quite embarrasing.  It's just trapped gas.  Very debilitating
Hi , i am also facing same porblem... did u get any solution for your problem...?? Please reply.. I am really scared... :(
I also had the same problem , So tried home remedy , cut down on coffee , go for black tea , with half tea spoon of cumin powder , make the powder yourself , as fresh as possible , and another half a teaspoon of ginger powder or grated , with crystal sugar , which is not refine sugar , each time you fancy a drink , make yourself one cup . make sure you have it as soon as you finish your meal , It also helps to cut down your portion , for snack , make sure , every day you have a cup of yogurt Danoe . or organic one .
Cumin gets rid off gas very quickly , while ginger helps your indigestion , in summer  make yourself a jug of mint tea, fresh mint will be best.
Hope this helps ..
Well am not alone what is it
I have been experiencing the same symptoms for the past 3 months, went to ER and my family doctor numerous times to find out everything is fine.  My pain is on the right side of my chest, it sometime shoot up to my neck, it is a pricking pain and I find I burp a lot too.  I just went to see my family doctor yesterday because of my concern and he assured me everything is fine with me.  I am happy to find out it's not just myself that is going through the same pain, because I keep worrying that something drastic will happen one day and I feel it more at bedtime.  I got some great tips, so I will try some to see if it will help.  I myself was thinking it might be gas, I will share this site with my doctor.
omg........... i just experienced an entire weekend with chest pain, that moved to my armpits yesterday. i've been belching more than normal and just feel off. also, i've been bundled up while everyone else is in shorts, yet my temp has not gone above 98.9. i called my dr, before the pain moved, thinking it was a weird panic attack. however, they dismissed me with no comment. if you have come across anything in your research, please share. i really don't know where to begin on this one. hope all is well
I am suffering from trapped gas in my upper left side chest. It wasvin the center now it moved to the left. It hurts so much if I laugh to hard,breath, or just the heart beat alone causes discomfort. I tried warm baths, drinking lot of water, rubbing the affected area, did enzymes, been burping, and now I just try straight tequila. It's warm, probably the warmth of liquor helps. It's my first time ever feeling there. I usually get it on my abdomen. If anyone has a better suggestion to get rid of this annoying pain. Please share. I done also garlic and parsley pills to help bring out the gas out. Works gor the belly gas not for the air that's trapped in the left  chest area.
I am 55 and have an aneurism (aneurysm) so every time this happens, which is daily, I fear for the worst. I am so relieved to have found this site. So many of you described my symptoms perfectly. I thought I was loosing my mind and while I sympathize with all of you, I am so happy I am not alone in this anymore.

I have all these symptoms and a very sore left heel. I always felt that was related to this issue as it started at the same time. So yes I have the issue you mention.
Hi I'm a 36 female whom is also suffering from pain on the left side went to the Er they took a Ekg it was normal blood work was fine they thought I injured myself from working out in the but that not the case I'm still having pains to which is very scary I'm such a big baby that I call my mom and she always telling if I was having a heart attack I wouldn't be on the phone talking to her now what can you do to get for of this ?
Hey rcn687, I wanted to know if you have had pain in your back and chest that caused you to wake up from your sleep. I also take a probiotic. For the last couple of weeks I have been waking up at night because of the pain in my back, ribs, and chest. Went to the er the gave me a ekg and chest ray, they also took some blood and said that everything came back normal. I wish that this problem will go away,  it really happens when I go to sleep at night,
Novo, I have this as well with pains in heels, feet elbow etc. Perhaps if you have joint pain and back pain as well let your docter test you for Arhritis my test came out possitive as ankylosing spondylitis.
I have experienced many of these symptoms- they definitely seem connected to the food I eat. I bought a hand-held back massager and I use it on my chest, back, neck, head, sides, shoulders, upper arms, thighs, calves, feet and hands - seems I have to chase this gas around everywhere!!, but once I do, the gas gets burped out and I get relief that lasts.
I'm so glad I found this site.  I've been crazy thinking I was the only one with these problems.  Recenty I've been getting the sharp pains right in the middle of the chest and didn't know what to think. My gas gets so bad that it can settle anywhere in my body.  I get it places that I thought was impossible, but after reading everyones posts I'm not crazy...just in a lot of pain sometimes. I also agree that what you eat doesn't matter.  It just happens when it feels like happening.  I haven't tried over the counter meds, but maybe now I will.  I agree about the anxiety.  It's not the anxiety tat causes the pain, it's the pain that causes the anxiety.  Just want to say that your comments made me feel better and I don't feel so alone anymore.
Herbal remedy for gas release :
take 10 coriander seeds, add half a teaspoon of sugar, and chew this mixture very slowly.

Exercises for gas release:

Press the point below the centre point of the palm of both your  hands 40 times with the thumb and press the tips of all fingers 40 times each.

To help with the gas problem: mandukasan(not for pregnant women) - kneel down(with feet pointing inwards,and sit on the ankles/heels, Vajrasan position), breathe in and breathe out completely ,pull the stomach in, and hold your breath,press palms of both your  hands on the navel(on top of each other), bend forward as much as possible keeping the head straight, hold for 5 to 15 seconds and come back up while breathing in.Do this asan 3 times daily before meals. Mandukasan2 - Repeat the whole process(mandukasan) 3 times,but this time with with fists of both hands pressing against the stomach(by the navel).Mandukasan can be done sitting on a chair, if you cannot bend the legs.This asan should be done before meals.

After meals, sit in vajrasan position for 5 to 10 minutes and take deep breaths into the lungs(chest) to get extra oxygen into the digestive system.

Pavanmuktasan
Help to release gas and wind, and is good for gastric problems.
Lie down on the floor. Bring left knee up, hold with both hands and pull towards the chest, then hold for 2 seconds and release. Then . bring right  knee up, hold with both hands and pull towards the chest, then hold for 2 seconds and release. Then bring both  knees up, hold with both hands and pull towards the chest, then hold for 2 seconds and release.
Repeat all this two more times.
Then bring both  knees up, (lock the hands around knees)hold with both hands and pull towards the chest, then roll forward and backwards about 10 times.
If this works for you, please post your comments/feedback.
April 19 ,2012
I'm not sure if you are still having this problem or have found the cure. I have this same trapped gas and have for 2 years. VERY painful. I recently purchase Vitafusion Fiber Gummie's from costco. Take two of them and within 5 minutes it will be gone! So very lucky I stumble upon this as I was trying to add more fiber to my diet only. Wish I could tell everyone that has this terrible condition. I am search message boards to let everyone who suffers know. I'm not a crackpot just trying to help. Hope all is well. Terry
I'm not sure if you are still having this problem or have found the cure. I have this same trapped gas and have for 2 years. VERY painful. I tried every thing and nothing worked! I recently purchase Vitafusion Fiber Gummie's from costco. Take two of them and within 5 minutes it will be gone! So very lucky I stumble upon this as I was trying to add more fiber to my diet only. Wish I could tell everyone that has this terrible condition. I am search message boards to let everyone who suffers know. I'm not a crackpot just trying to help. Hope all is well. Terry
I had that procedure done and they basically said I have to live with it. Here's what I found by accident!~!!!
omg...that is so identical to me...have you found out anything?  I have been through cat scans, barium swallows, ultrasounds...everything...er visits...beginning to think its in my heat....now im starting skipping beats ugh will it ever end
Its nearly midnight and I have trapped gases that I can't get out. Its causing sharp stabbing heart pain. This is on the left side of my chest and sometimes the pain is throbbing or (this may sound funny) but it's like my heart is being squeezed. This is very uncomfortable and scary (I'm 19). I also have a weird feeling in my tummy. It makes me feel like it's more serious than just gas.. Any help or suggestions???
(this is not the first time it happens but I don't know what to do)
I have had all of those symptoms. I'm actually currently experiencing them. I've also been getting palpitations as well. As you could expect, I was extremely worried that these symptoms were due to an underlying heart problem. So, I told my GP who kindly referred me to have some checks: blood tests, EKG and an echocardiogram, which have all come back fine. I started having these sensations during and after having a bad throat infection that I was prescribed first clarithromycin for and then penicillin. I am convinced that due to the antibiotics killing off my 'good bacteria', my gut has now got an imbalance (as I have been unusually gassy) that is causing all of these effects. I hope you can gain some solace from my experience and that you've found relief from yours! :D
I am 24 and one day I noticed that both sides of my chest were a little sore. This went on for two weeks. I laid down to sleep one day and I felt the pain right next to my sternum left side about three or four inches up from the bottom of my rib cage. My heart would slow down while this pain could be felt. It seems that it wasn't slowing down to abnormal rhythm it was beating fast and then returning to normal. I have went to the doctor and the cardiologist said my heart is fine EKG normal stress test normal holster monitor normal. I have had ultra sounds done one just about every organ all good. Except they think I only have one kidney. I deal with the pain every day. Some days it's good some days it's not so good. I just want it to be over
   i can totally relate to almost everyone on here, i first of all must say i have reflux, anxiety and depression. treating all this and still have the pains of underarm chest and stomach i take gas meds with sum relief but the bloating drives me insane. i have had all the heart tests done echos monitors  ekgs they all come back fine. so i know how helpless u all feel my only comfort i have found is an o2  monitor lol the thing they stick on your finger at the hospital 2 check your oxygen you can get them 4 like 30bucks much cheaper than any trip to an er or dr it tells you your heartrate and oxygen so it will give you some relief to know if your oxygen is normal and heart rate is your not having a heart attack, hope this helps someone out there it is very scary to feel this way and the only people who understand are those feeling it!!!!
Hi Leslie,I thought your comments were really important and I can relate to everything you said. I think you are right, especially about daily exercise...even minimum daily exercise. thanks for the info and you have really brightened my attitude about this awful syndrome.
I think I'm going through a very similar situation.  I've had these chest pains for more than 2 years now and had them diagnosed as pleurisy, stress, and acid reflux on separate occasions.  I'm still not sure what it is, I've also had multiple X-Rays and an EKG and everything comes back normal, but the sharp, incessant pains are enough to keep me worried.  I tried taking prilosec for awhile but I feel like it didn't do much.  Also ibuprofin for the pleurisy for months, didn't help. I'm beginning to find a correlation with the pain and gas, as carbonated beverages can exacerbate the pains.  I don't know what the deal is though, if it is caused by anxiety, that's a rough lot: chest pains make you nervous, anxiety causes chest pains.  That's a no win.  I can say honestly that the longest time I went with little to no discomfort/pain was when I was meditating regularly and also not drinking alcohol.  That's a pretty big commitment for me, however.  
I also have this peculiar pain right chest moving up my shoulder & right neck to my jaw. I am 798, have had this intermittant for 8 yrs. Have been scoped erc. & nothing found. I just figured it was gas, so took Gas ex, & bingo, pain stopped! After all these years I am still alive & well, so am not scared of a heart problem.
I am also experiencing these symptoms ......pain in the shoulder blade and sometimes armpits.  It is EXTREMELY  scarey.  The pharmacist gave me some Gaviscon and that seem to help but my problem is I do not burp and I feel if I could burp I would feel better.  Any suggestions on how to make oneself burp?

Hope some of this helps...............
I Had A Pulmonary Embolism Once, It Was Small But Very Painful, It Feels Like Your Breast Bone Has A Crack In It, And When You Breath, It Wants To Break Open... Right Now Im Getting Someone Of The Same Pain But Its Different Cause Now It Hurts When I Move Around More Than When I Breath, Im Scared, Could This Be Gas? Im Close To Going To Admit Myself To The Hospital, But I Hateeee Hospitalsss....
hi everyone i have a real bad problem with trapped gas and it is really painful.. the only thing that i have found that helps at all is called CharcoCaps. bought them at walgreens the bad thing is that i found out that i am allergic to sulfer so i can not take them. what do you know found a cure and can't take it.. so maybe this will help someone else since it can't help me..lol.. not funny but may as well be positive bout it..
I know that it's been awhile since you posted this, but I just was up all night last night with what my sister and have termed "heart-attack gas"  Very painful!  Lots of pressure, just as you described with pain even in the jaws, ears, throat.  It felt like someone was shooting a laser beam through my chest from one armpit to the other and then the pressure and pain shot everywhere.  I was dressed and almost out the door to ED, but waited and after a while it subsided.

I drank baking soda in water.  That help quite a lot.  You might try it next time.  Just maybe a half teaspoon in a small glass of water.  I wasn't able to drink much so I kept it a small quantity.  That was after lots of Tums and a Prevacid - which normally work.  Not this time.  

My esophagus is tender today and doesn't tolerate much food and even less acidic foods - not much coffee, etc.

Hope this helps whoever reads it - this is painful and sounds pretty crazy.

mamajones
You guys just don’t know how much you have lifted off my back.  Two months ago, I felt like I was about to pass out and my arms and calves were tingling. I was rushed to ER and they said they couldn’t find anything.  Then two days after that, felt light headed, dizzy, sick, chest pains with a constant coughing as well as stuffy ears/nose where sometimes there was a clicking.  Went back to ER, but the doctors found nothing wrong again, hell the ER doc said I was the healthiest patient there ATM.  I then scheduled a doctor visit.  Doctor said it was a sinus infection but still had blood work drawn, a stress test, about 4 chest x-rays, a throat & Chest CAT Scan done on me.  All came back fine but she put me on a “Z-pack” (antibiotics) and Claritan-D.  It went away for a while but the MEDS got me constipated.  So I took some stool softener and 3 days after that, prune juice (grandmother’s orders).
After that, my stool was dark brown or black and my abdomen would either burn hot or a sharp pain as well as still having that sharp chest pain.  Thinking it was a side effect from the meds, I just waited. It still was going on for over a week after my meds were done and was getting worse. The pain was soo sharp on the right side of my stomach I couldn’t stand, walk or breath some times.  Of course I went to the ER again, fearing of having appendicitis Doctors told me nothing is wrong again.
After a few days that pain went away and it was due to the meds I guess however the chest pain is still there.  Now its on the right side some times, but most of the time its in the Heart area.  It just happens, regardless if I eat or not.  Its just there.  It comes and goes randomly when I am awake. It never woke me up out of a sound sleep.  Sometimes the pain is in the arm pit or bicep area of my left arm, other times its in the forearm of my right arm, mid back, middle of the chest, back of the neck and lower front of the neck and it always end up in my stomach.  It feels like gas, a very painful type of gas.  Very uncomfortable all the time, so I went and bought some Gas-X and that doesn’t work.  
So after a while I just  got tired of telling my wife I’m in pain (she’s an RN)I just sit here at work or at home in pain, just taking it. Today was the worst I ever felt, so I had to google pain in chest and it brought me here.  You have no idea (actually most of you do) how  much this has helped me mentally.  Every day, thinking about your health and why you’re having issues, trying to convince family memebers, friends and yourself that you’re not crazy and there is something wrong with your body.  Now that I know what this is, I can try to fix it.  Thanks.
Sounds like the shingles.
I HAVE THE ANSWER!!!

I have this same problem and what I did was take 1 tablet of an over-the-counter Acid Reducer (ones that you swallow, not chew) and 2 GasX pills.  The pain in my chest, that pressing, stabbing pain, went away within 30 minutes!!   Then 8 hrs later the pain came back, so I took the 1 acid reducer and 2 GasX pills and the pain was gone for good.  
Hello Lynda ,its me again, I too have the feeling as if my throat is closing and sometimes have trouble swallowing. Again,unfortunately my family also think I'm a hypocondriac so get no help . The pains are dreadful, I get sweats too, feel ill and exausted.  I'm sorry your going through this/ Wish you well. Hev
Your symptoms sound like mine, I have a huge amount of discomfort in my back, stomach, sides, armpits and even down to my hips. I have a huge amount of wind but nothing seems to get rid of it. It is worse in the morning on rising. Some days it's not so bad, others it's so bad I can't do anything and have to go to bed with a hot water bottle. Wish I knew how to get rid of it, it's ruining my life.
This is happening to me now!!!! The pain is excruciating and horrible! Second time it's happenened. Both times I have been sleep and woken up to similar to labor pains n my chest. I know for a fact that it is what I ate! Last time u had my sons birthday cakeicing  that had been sitting out for some time. And today around 11 pm before I went to bed I ate my moms leftovers from papasitos! I feel awful! I don't have insurance I'm a recent grad looking for work... Someone please help. The first time this happened I thought that I either was having a heart attack/ appendix busted / gallbladder attack... Still have no clue what's wrong with me !!!!???
I've had these issues for sometime. My medicine "box" always has two things in it -- Dulcolax Suppositories and GasX. When I feel this coming on, I use 1 Dulcolax Suppository and also chew 2 GasX. It seems the suppository helps move the gas around and the GasX helps expel it as well.

The first time I had the symptoms they were primarily in my back, neck to waist, and around my sides (remember tho, heart pain can also be in you back... across shoulders, etc). I went to the ER and after they checked me out, I was prescribed a prescription gas medication. I don't remember what that was now since it's been 20 years ago. Now that I know the symptoms and what's going on with me, I do the suppository and GasX immediately and have no further problems.

My next question is... do you have problems with constipation? That was what initiated by pain.
Try getting tested for Celiacs Disease (gluten intolerance or sensitivity)
The throat closing after eating gluten (something with wheat, rye or barley ingredients like bread, bread coating) is one of the classic signs
I would think peppermint tea would irritate your husband’s esophagus and make his condition worse.  
mamajones! Thank you. I was just sitting here and developed pains (for the second time in a few weeks) in my chest. My doctor says stress, but I'm not stressed or anxious, so I'm reading websites looking for help, and find 1/2 tsp baking soda to 1/2 glass of water (4 oz.), and by goodness, instant relief!  Thank you so very much!  ((hugs)) God bless :)
Heyo, I'm a 22 year old female, and I've been having serious chest pains since I was 7 - 8. For a while we thought it might have been heart murmur and then anxiety, but after doing a little researching, I found that it's mostly trapped gas. It could be any time or anywhere when it starts up, just a ping in my chest and it grows and gets worse until I'm gasping for air feeling like my chest is going to explode and my heart it being crushed, I start pacing the floor because it hurts to much to sit/lay down, or even stay still. Usually when it starts up I take (like most people) an antacid of sorts (ranitidine) to calm my stomach, sometimes Gravol. I continue to walk, focusing on my breathing until the pain begins to subside. I find heat does work; heat pad or a shower. I think that I do have anxiety attacks as a secondary to the trapped gas because when it starts, I know the pain is coming, and that sets me in the wrong state of mind for what's to happen.... Usually after an "episode" I can't eat or drink anything with a couple days without getting pain. And sometimes when this happens, I don't appear to have any gas.... I have a very sensitive stomach. I don't eat fast food, I usually stay away from seriously greasy/fatty foods but I do find tomatoes upset my stomach.

The time I went to a doctor about chest pain... he pretty much told me to see a shrink and go home. I've lost my faith in the majority of doctors over the years but that one was the last straw...

I've heard fennel tea is calming to the stomach as well and may help. There are various other herbs and natural remedies that is good for your stomach/system. Lemon balm is just one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melissa_officinalis

I hope one day I won't have to suffer the pain anymore, or anyone else.
This is a very insightful note you have written. Most people do not wish to think in these terms, although they are true. I have a few prescriptions that I am trying to rid myself of (but they are currently mandatory), and I know the cost without insurance. Oh wait, is that more proof of your 'circle'.

- As for the original discussion, think long and hard on what you need to do or have done. I have traveled a long 'health' road, to find out more guesses. I have MS, Epilepsy, GI issues (Acid Reflux, IBS, negative Celiac, Bloating, Gas, Extremely Full Bowels, etc...), GI issues that caused the MS???, High Cholesterol, and the list goes on. I have been an involuntary ginuea pig since I was one year old. These issues in turn have given me over 35 years of side effects and possible cures to the original and new problems.
- It seems that Acid Reflux can be fixed by Anti-Acid Reflux pills. However, the different ones I was given made things much, much worse. Treating my MS can be done with multiple high priced MRI's and constant different injections. - or- The MS I have can be cured by removing my Silver Fillings that I got as a child. - or -The other option is that my MS is actually a GI issue that can be cured Holistically? There are of course, multiple other things on my list, so if anyone wants to partner on a book deal... Sorry if I sound cynical.
- No matter what though, everything will be on a
TRIAL AND ERROR BASIS. Trust me, I may have more errors than trials at this point, but I kind of lost count years ago, too.  I was told that I needed to have my Gall Bladder removed to fix my GI issues, but interestingly enough, a year later I got similar symptoms. Now, I cannot eat spicy foods or vegetables of any kind. Pay close attention, because simple things like GARLIC are now completely off limits to me now. YES, read the ingredients closely on things; and don't eat out much either, because they will not guarantee what you are eating. - good luck on your new diets
I'm guessing no one in here has been through what i went through but it really hurts, First i had an ulcer that narrowed my stomach walls after cure, then tumours developing due to the weird narrowing which i solved with garlic and then finally what u are all experiencing here( trapped gas) since my stomach and intestine have partial narrowing. I have your answers in one little leaf called bitterleaf. Good for internal sores and complications created by gas. This is my own experience not a blog thing. when i get sores, they heal in a day.just one leaf a day. U will be amezed that i used this to cure ulcer. Can't say much but wait till u hear my story of tumours too.
im a 20 year old male, and im currently having that right now..i find if i tighten up all my chest/stomach muscles as if i was trying to throw up, it kinda pushes the bubbles up n i burp a little..ive been doing it all day and it hasnt left yet, started last night before i went to bed..burping relives the pain temporarily until im guessing more builds up..i also took pepto bismol, stil feeling it so that didnt work..if i had tums id take em..i figured id list what ive done even if it doesnt work, try n narow it down:P butyea, id just try n push it all out..i feel like eating takes up space, which moves the air up, which could maybe loosen whatevers holding it in there maybe? as long as its not a real greasy or real gassy foods..bout ta eat some top ramen.
hope this helped a little!!
Viewing 1-200 comments: