can trapped gas cause soreness, sharp or stabbing type pains in chest?
Hi, i was wondering if trapped gas can cause chest soreness, chest tightness, shortness of breath, stabbing pain which is severe enough to think you are having a serious heart problem. and if the answer is yes, how does one go about solving this trapped gas problem?

Thanks.
I get this from time to time and have anxiety. I've even had a nuclear stress test . . . results normal. I also get the pains in my left and right chest and lower abdomen, but it always goes away. Eat light until it passes.
Hi, my husband has suffered this same problem for I know at least four years now, and it doesn't matter what he eats or when. He may be fine for a day a week or a month, and then all the sudden he says he feels like he's weak and dizzy and feels like someone is poking his heart with a needle, his arm near his arm pit with hurt. He burps alot and it releaves some of the discomfort. Various other things as well. Generally he said he gets a "funny" feeling throughout his body. We went to the doctor years ago for it, and all they told us was it was because he had a fever of 98.9,(fever?)!! I was wondering if and what the doctors have told you about it, I plan on researching to see what can be done. This is the first time I have heard of someone having a similar problem, it's nice to know.
Hi, is it usually in your abdomen too? I just thought about that and my husband has never said anything about it being in his right chest or abdomen. He does have high cholesterol. But I was just wondering. Thanks
last night,. i had 3-4 simultaneous stabbing pains that lasted 2-3 seconds in the sternum/heart area, VERY scary very uncomfortable. i do not know if this was GAS or if it was ACID REFLUX
the docs always say either its ACID REFLUX or its "anxiety or stress" related. And yes when im full of gas, i am bloated , have a weird sensation in the body, a lil dizzy,. but once i release it, its like such a relief ! bloating goes away, i feel so good, but its hard to release it.
is your husband on any medications? did he start any medications right before this problem started?
Hi I'm  searching for answers I am 22 now and I have bad acid reflex problems  I have had this problem since I was a kid most of the times it comes at night when I'm sleeping I get pains in my stomach pocket so I tries to force myself to throw up and when I do it taste like lots of C sometimes it's clear or yellow I have not had the greatest  eating experience so I'm trying to find answers or whether I should eat differently or what shall I do
Hi I'm  searching for answers I am 22 now and I have bad acid reflex problems  I have had this problem since I was a kid most of the times it comes at night when I'm sleeping I get pains in my stomach pocket so I tries to force myself to throw up and when I do it taste like lots of Acid sometimes it's clear or yellow I have not had the greatest  eating experience so I'm trying to find answers or whether I should eat differently or what shall I do
Sounds like it could be PCS (Precordial Catch Syndrome). It's a symptom caused by a trapped nerve and will always occur on the left side of chest, pretty much were you would feel your heart beating.

If this occurs frequently in adults (a number of times per year) it could be related to the back. If this is the case, try swimming regularly using the breast stroke.

A Google search for "wiki pcs" will give you more information.
Hi , i have arrived at this site after spending 2 visists to emergency department and several visits toa doctor. I have had very similar problems as decribed. sometimes i feel fine i think im over what ever it is , then i wake in the night feeling nausea, light headed, wierd sensantions through most of my upper body and back, i feel stabbing pains and sometimes i can actually see movment in my chest from gas passing through me. I feel asthough every breath i take is like breathing some toxic gas it does'nt feel like im breathing normal air . Seems to happen no matter what i eat and it seems to always hit me during the night. i can't get any answers im always told its reflux ...i have had reflux for 20+ years and i have never experienced these kind of symptoms from it. only relief i get is if i pass alot of wind and drink lots of water , i also cant manage to empty my bowls properly , always have diahrea and can only manage small ammounts per day sometimes 2 days between.
Im a 35 year old female about four days ago I started having this pain in my chest on my left side under my breast and ribcage area it hurst bad when i breath in . It even hurts when I move a certain way . I went to the ER and they couldnt find any thing .it feels like gas ,i have taken everything over thecounter for gas i can find and nothing has helped. I know im not crazy I dont like pain and this pain that im feeling in just too much to bear if anyone have a solution please help .
This has happened to on and off for years and I am not dead yet. It took me a long time to figure out what it was because it can be confused with heart symptoms. It is very uncomfortable, but it goes away. Now I don' t get worried - just annoyed. I have no other symptoms.
I have the same symptoms. It seems to move from left side of chest to right side. I normally take acid reflux pills, sometimes add Beano. No go away but with time. My lungs sound good to the doctor. Certain movements cause the pain, mostly at night. I'm going to the doctor soon to report it & I'm going to give her this site address so she can see I'm not alone. That does help just knowing that. My wife keeps telling me she thinks it's gas. We'll see, unless you might have any suggestions at this time?
Hi cakes35, I am 26, female and currently going through the exact thing you described. My pain is also only on the left side, it hasn't moved like sheani123's did. It's in the exact spot you described, hurts when I move, breathe, bend over --I'm going crazy with the pain and confused because the ER doc couldn't find anything wrong after the chest X-Ray and EKG. He says it could be pleursy (which I don't think it is) and I've almost started wondering if it's a pulmonary embolism! It's very painful and the lortab they gave me makes me puke, even though I've only taken a half of a tablet with food. :(

--cakes35, it's been a few weeks for you...I hope you come back to check this post --I'd really love to see what you found out, and what your condition is... Please update us and keep us posted!
Thanks for the post ppl i am having the same problem here, the right side of my chest have a severe it felt like someone took a needle and poke me
i need to go to the doctor to check it out. By the way i burp a lot . this is the first time this happen to me  ,  help plzzzzzzz
Hi, im a 20 yr. old female. i have been having horrible chest, stomach and back pains. i know it is gas. i can feel it moving around in my stomach. and when i push on my stomach, it moves arounnd and i feel sharp pains. the pain shoots up through my neck, then to my shoulders and down to my arms.if anyone has any idea of what this might be, please give me your opinion. thanks!
Hello everyone. I am having the same issues (obviously) and I cant seem to get a clear answer. I feel the "needle stuck in heart" feeling but that stopped recently. I also feel a sharp pain when I SLEEP OR LAY on my left side in my chest area. I dont know if its my heart or lungs or what. I, too, burp alot and everytime I wake up I have to burp about 4-5 times to expel all the gas. When I eat anything, I swallow more than once to clear my throat so I know im swallowing a lot of air. That still doesnt explain the chest pain and burping when I wake up though. I cant seem to find anything about it on the net but I have had numerous EKGs (meaning its probably not my heart) and I dont know where to turn next. Im thinking chest x-rays, allergy tests and circulation tests. Sometimes I cant sleep comfortably w/o waking up to burp.
im going to thru the same thing it is horrible ,my top part of my stomach under my heart hurts so bad stabbing pains and when i breth to hard it hurts , also moving to fast and the pains takes my breath away , i want to say its gas but its scary , ive burped a few times and it kinda feels a lil better befor getting worst again, if anyone knows anything that would help please let me know thanks
WOW WHAT A RELIEF TO KNOW THESE ARE COMMON SYMPTOMS OF TRAPPED GAS. I'VE BEEN FEELING THIS DISCOMFORT FOR TWO DAYS NOW. I AM A 33 YEAR OLD FEMALE AND WENT TO THE EXTENT OF SCHEDULING A MAMMOGRAM DUE TO THE SEVERE CHEST PAINS.NOT RECOGNIZING HOW MUCH GAS I HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN RELEASING I THOUGHT MAYBE IT'S JUST GAS. AFTER READING THESE POST I CAN HONESTLY SAY I'M RELEIVED. HOPEFULLY THE PAIN WILL SUBSIDE SOON. THANKS!
This is so weird. I have all these symptoms when I have trapped gas. Last February 2009, I even went to the ER with a tingling or stabbing pain in chest. I was told that heart was fine and that it may have been esopageal spasms which causes esopagas to press on heart area. And I'm having the same symtoms now. Nighttime, lying down seems worse.
Hi, this is such a relief to find this page, i have had these symptoms for years but no one can tell me whats happening. i've been in A&E so many times but it wasnt heart attack or clots so sent home without any further investigations. i am a migraine sufferer & somehow they try to put it down to that, i am seeing migraine specialist who says no way could it be related. i am always a very windy person & have ibs, i feel that there is so much wind trapped that it is putting pressure on my lungs & chest, but then i question myself a lot too when the other pains dont add up but are all connected. i am having a bad "spell" at the moment, very bad chest pain and feels like my food tube is very sore, pain under my arms, pain that shoots into my sides under arms and goes again, pain up side of neck that goes into my throat and ears and my ears can feel blocked, dizzy/lightheaded, pain in upper back, pains can be worse on moving or not! and no one can make sense of it, it gets so bad that sometimes i cant look after my little boy, PLEASE, if someone is getting all/most of these symptoms let me know, i know the list looks like i'm a hypocondriac & my family certainly think so as no doc has sorted me, i do have low bp, which can go quite low but they havnt found a reason for that either. hope to hear from some one so i can  show this to my doc. Thanks, Lynda
oh, me again, in case my list wasnt long enough, i forgot to say that sometimes i feel like my throat is closing or something weird that makes it hard to breath but gp checked and it wasnt swollen but he has referred me to get camera put down to check but still waiting, at least after many, many docs, this man is trying to help!!
I am a 72 year female and have had this problem since I was 50. The first 3 times my medical doctor did EKGs during the attack.  The pain in the right or left (or both) sides is unbearable. It runs up both sides of my neck and into ears.  I know what it is, but it still cares the hell of me and the anxiety makes it worse. I ate broccoli and cheese casserole for dinner last night and woke up this morning with pain in jaws. I hav Reflux also, and usually can drink a soda and be able to burp. I am a pain patient also, and notice that when I am put on Lortabs, the first one or two always triggers this problem. Sometimes llaying on your back on the floor and rolling from side to side with move the gas and allow  you to pass it. I have many friends with same problem, stress doesn't help nor  as I said anxiety.  Hope this helps everyone.
Hi, I am a 49 yr. old who has had stomach and digestive problems my whole life.  My mom sent me to 1st. grade w/ antacids in my pocket.  I have over the last few years developed more symptoms similar to what everyone here is describing.  I, too, went to the ER a few years back w/ chest pain.  The people were very rude to me, shoved the IV in my arm as hard as they could and asked if my chest hurt as much at the IV they just inserted.  After the tests came back, they said I had a hernia from my stomach that protruded through the diaphragm into the chest cavity behind my heart and was pressing on a nerve around my heart and that was what was causing my pain.  All I know is that every time I have a gas problem, I get that pain again in the upper left side of my chest.  It usually moves to my left arm then around to my upper back.  It makes it very hard to sleep.  There are times I cannot even lay on my back b/c it is so sore and painful.  Most people I tell don't believe me either, so I know what some are saying.  What can I do?  Nothing seems to help except time, and who has that?