Respiratory Disorders Community
cant breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

cant breath

i have been finding it hard to breath , i havnt got pains in my chest iam so out of breath just by going from 1 room to the other , i got an ecg done they didnt give me the results as they said they need to do more test , then 2 weeks later i had to go for a 24hr recording , didnt get the results to that got another letter saying i had to get an echogram done 2 weeks ago and iam still in the dark , i went to my gp he hasnt had any thing sent to him yet from the hospital , my breathing is getting worse when iam sleeping iam ok , but just walking about the house i cant get a breath if i yawn it cuts out , my back is sore and i feel as if i have a draught at the middle of my back , i need to take a big breath for me to get a breath , i dont smoke i have never smoke i have fibramyalgia had that about a year now i really dont think that has anything to do with it , there must be something wrong cause why would i get  different test done and still no nothing , when i ask they just keep saying oh we have 1 more test to do thats what they keep saying .    
Your profile says you are a woman?  

The next test would be  a cardiac catheterization. This is a very important test and is usually the last test necessary.  Hopefully you will have it done in a hospital that can also place a stent if you need one.  

Do you have any congestion problems, trouble breathing through you nose?  This is often accompanied with "dry mouth" problems.  I have these two conditions (along wiht heart problems) and this has led me to wonder if I have COPD or early emphysema.  These are the thoughts that come to my mind, not heart problems.  A non-smoker at age 45 is not likely to have these lung conditions...still have you had any discussions with your primary care doctor about the health of your lungs?

I find it strange you have not been given any medical read-outs from the tests that have been performed.  Is this a characteristic of the UK public health system?  I fear the "Obama care" take over in the USA will lead to the same poor service.

As far as a further heart tests, non-invasive are usually done first,  thus a stress test (including a nuclear stress test) is done before an exam with a catheter inserted into the heart is done.

thank you for your comment no i havnt had any medical read-outs they just keep doing 1 test after another , how it all started getting test done i was meant to get a cycst took of my ovary and i didnt pass the preup so iam still waiting to go in and get that operation done, but when they did an ecg , they said it was like an extra heart beat , so thats why i had to get 24hr recording done like 2weeks later then they sent me another letter saying they wont put me out for the operation as they need to do an echogram done , i ask when i was at the hospital why was i getting all this done theey just said they where not happy to put me out for an operation, yes i do have congestion problems i just thought it was sinus, and my mouth is always dry iam always thirsty, if i do fall asleep at night i always wake up so thirsty and my mouth is so dry, i really dont no whats going on or what they are looking for in those three different test , gosh wish i new what is going on there must be something wrong with me cause the hospital wouldnt keep sending for me and doing these test , i ask 2weeks ago could they see anything in the echogram and the woman said i cant tell you and i wont tell you until we have all your test done , so i just have to wait to be honest she was raging that i ask her could she ssee anything in the scan xx but thank you for your help .
thank you for your help i need answers if iam having lunch iam trying to breath and put a spoonful of my lunch in after i catch my breath ,i dont have asthma so i just wish i got answers from the drs iam going to look up that cardiaac catheterization you sent me and see what that means x thank you for your help x
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The breathlessness could be due to cardiac or lung disorders. Breathlessness on exertion could be due to the decreased lung function. Again in cardiac disorders the heart is unable to pump the blood adequately, more so when subjected to stress like exercise. Certain systemic disorders like anemia, diabetes, vitamin deficiencies and thyroid disorders can cause these symptoms. So please discuss this with your doctor, he may in addition ask for blood tests and an X ray chest. Lung function tests could further help in evaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.