Respiratory Disorders Community
charlie horse in throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

charlie horse in throat

I noticed a lot of comments on here about people getting a charlie horse in their throat after yawning or moving their neck the wrong way etc.  I've had this happen several times and it is one of the worst things I have ever experienced including kidney stones!  The last time this happened though it felt like it was actually in my vocal cords, where I couldn't breath, speak, scream or cry because of the pain.  

The solution for me:  

I mumbled REALLY low, as low as I could and tried to say something in a very low register because I couldn't speak in my normal voice.  This seemed to loosen the vocal cords and almost pop them back into place.  I suggest for those of you w/ this agonizing pain to attempt this if it happens to you.  It might work, and surely couldn't hurt to try.  I hope my post helps others!!

This discussion is related to throat constriction/spasm.