Respiratory Disorders Community
chemical irritation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

chemical irritation

About 6 months ago I was cleaning with bleach in an unventilated room for a prolonged amount of time. About a day later I developed a raw feeling in my trachea area that radiated throughout my throat and down to my lungs. This irritation remains till today. (Shortly after the exposure I had incessant coughing for about 5 weeks. X-rays showed the lungs were clear, and iodine scan showed no obstructions to lungs.)

I tried 3 months of steroid inhaler (Seretide) with no affect other than to exaccerbate my throat. A visit to a respiratory specialist has ruled out Asthma and a recent visit to an eminent ENT showed no scarring from the sinuses down to the voicebox.

I have become highly sensitive to smells, including fabric/haberdashery shops, perfumes etc and "feel" them in my throat and lungs and my voice becomes hoarse.

My ENT has advised that the symptoms will subside. He cannot tell me when it will subside or how to relieve the symptoms. I am sceptical as it has already been 6 months with minimal improvement.

Do you have any anecdotal evidence of 1) healing timeframes for similar bleach type exposures, 2) what can be done to speed up the healing process and 3) relieve the symptoms. Many thanks.