About 6 months ago I was cleaning with bleach in an unventilated room for a prolonged amount of time. About a day later I developed a raw feeling in my trachea area that radiated throughout my throat and down to my lungs. This irritation remains till today. (Shortly after the exposure I had incessant coughing for about 5 weeks. X-rays showed the lungs were clear, and iodine scan showed no obstructions to lungs.)
I tried 3 months of steroid inhaler (Seretide) with no affect other than to exaccerbate my throat. A visit to a respiratory specialist has ruled out Asthma and a recent visit to an eminent ENT showed no scarring from the sinuses down to the voicebox.
I have become highly sensitive to smells, including fabric/haberdashery shops, perfumes etc and "feel" them in my throat and lungs and my voice becomes hoarse.
My ENT has advised that the symptoms will subside. He cannot tell me when it will subside or how to relieve the symptoms. I am sceptical as it has already been 6 months with minimal improvement.
Do you have any anecdotal evidence of 1) healing timeframes for similar bleach type exposures, 2) what can be done to speed up the healing process and 3) relieve the symptoms. Many thanks.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.