Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
chest ache

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

chest ache

I have had some chest discomfort for about 2 days.  It is very mild and more of a achy pain.  It is right over my sternum and goes away when standing.  The most pain is while sitting or lying down.  The sternum itself is also slightly tender with palpation. The pain does not increase with excersise and I do not have a difficulty in breathing.  What could this be?
Your achy chest pain is probably muscle, cartilage or ligament strain.  Such pains usually get better when you avoid activities that use your chest muscles.  The pain should get better with an anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen.  If it does not and/or if the pain lasts longer than 7 to 10 days, you should see your doctor and have a chest x-ray.  The pain you have described is not typical of heart or lung problems.
Hey Rob, I am currently having the same problem you are describing. Although it seems to disappear for short periods of time throughout the day, it always comes back, sometimes stronger. Does ur ache go away when you cough? Mine does and its kinda freaking me out cuz i have no idea what it could be!!!! I dont even know how to describe the ache..soemtimes it feels like a tightness in my chest, sometimes like a weight or a dull ache.
Hi,i'm 36 and diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and foraminal stenosis from levels c4-c7,so i started physio therapy and started feeling a new kind of pain radiating in front of my neck,a burning sensation all the way to my shoulder on the right side and my 3 year old daughter nudged me on my clavicle and i screamed of pain.Two days later I noticed that my right clavicle dropped posteriorly,I had x-rays done and I'm waiting to see a orthopedic .I'm suffering of a lot of burning sensations in my sternum area,my clavicle is jumping around inside me when i take steps just walking and I feel very heavy in my chest as if i'm wearing a very small and tight bra.I feel like I need to gasp for air when I go up a flight of stairs,I noticed that I wake up from snoring and it's something I never did,my rib cage is very sore and the skin surface is very sensative to touch!Please can someone tell me if I am suffering from some kind of arthritis or can all this be neurological cause of my neck problems???Also can the clavicle be put back into place with a closed reduction? Thanks :)
Hi, about a month ago I had the Flu for 3 days and about a week later I got a cough with bad congestion well it's been a month and I have been having pain in my chest, pressure, pinching, I can't lift anything without it hurting it hurts worse in the morning when I get up and gets alittle better throughout the day but never goes away completely, sometimes I feel like my chest has to pop. I can't excercise or anything cause it aches more. I have like a numb feeling in the center of my chest.  I have had blood tests x-rays and the doctors say they look fine no inflammation or anything. please help me