Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
chest congestion after flu

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

chest congestion after flu
I have broncial asthma. I got diagnosed with the flu from my asthma doctor. Was sent home with Tamiflu, Prednisone, and Azithromycin (to ward off any complications). They also gave me a breathing treatment which cleared me out somewhat.  Now, the next day, the heavy respiratory congestion and cough is back full force. My stomach muscles are killing me from coughing. What is the best and quickest way for me to rid myself of the congestion? I hit my rescue inhaler but it doesn't help.

Normally my Asthma is mild. I've thought of purchasing a nebulizer but I know it would just sit there after this ailment passes.
This is an expected complication of the flu.  I would call your physician.  There are medications that can help you.  Depending of what your physician thinks, these may be: increasing your rescue medication, adding an inhaled steroid 2 times a day and increasing the dose and frequency of the prednisone.

Thank you Doctor.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker