Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
chest congestion post surgery
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

chest congestion post surgery

I had Anterior Cervical discectomy and fusion C-3/4.  2 weeks ago.  Throat was sore and it was hard to talk and swallow solids.  3 days after I got , what I thought was a simple cold with nasal congestion and low grade fever lasting couple of days.  The nasal discharge has been copious and clear.  My concern is the severe congested cough that has developed and lasting over a week/ my nasal discharge has lessoned and is still clear or white.  I have coughing spells which last 5-10 mins d/t not being able to get the mucus up and out. I can constantly feel accumulation of mucus in my airway and upper chest.   I feel like I am choking on mucus, it wears me out. I have been getting these visual migraines every day/bright zigzag light in my vision and dull headache which last 30-40 mins. No chest pain with the cough.     I am wearing a Miami-J collar pretty much all the time and no neck or arm pain like before.   I am doing all the normal things for a congested cough and cold.  OTC meds, fluids, etc.  My concern was the surgical sites,  my throat, and the fusion site from all this coughing.  I Called the surgeon, and his PA did not seem concerned and said to call my PCP if continues.  Could this be a reaction to the inflammation in my airways post surgery? I am hoping it will just take time to clear up.  Sleeping at night is fine which is odd.  I would think that it would be worse lying down.  Seems to get worse as the day progresses.  Never had pnuemonia (pneumonia) or Bronchitis.  Should I just wait it out?