Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
childs chest xray

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

childs chest xray
Can any one help
my 12 year old has had a cough and brings up green spit in the  morning she has had this for 10 months and no antibiotics work.
She has had a xray and it says shows increasded vascular markings and heavy shadows in the hilum.
Is anyone able to tell me what this means and possibly entails for my child
Deb
Chronic cough can be caused by many factors from either the upper airway, such as the sinuses, or the lower airways, such as the lungs.  Since the chest x-ray is normal, perhaps a lung function test and a CT scan of the sinuses might provide some insight as to the cause of this problem.  I would continue to work with your daughter
has your dtr seen a pediatric pulmonologis? also have they tried culturing the mucous?  this seems an awfully long time to have green mucous. have they done a cat scan of her sinuses or worked her up for allergies? about the chest xray i really don't know what it means, but i would see a specialist  good luck
Increased vascular markings on a chest xray usually indicates enlarged arteries of the heart.  A heavy shadow indicates a possible problem with the pulmonary artery, or the artery that moves blood to or from the lungs.  Without actually viewing the xray, these findings can be anything from bad positioning by the tech that took the xrays to an enlarged heart indicating congestive heart failure, a heart defect or possibly left sided heart failure. More tests are indicated to positively identify the problem.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker