Respiratory Disorders Community
chronic 3 month cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

chronic 3 month cough

I have been to two doctors family and lung specialists have had cough for going on 3 months most bad days some good but always coughing had chest x ray and breathing test and both checked out fine. Lung doctor put me on prednisone and alegra nexium and phenagrain with codiene after first 4 pills first day and 3 pills of prednisone, second i started feeling better and then it got worse again. Sometimes it feels like i have a srcatchy throat cough and other times it feels its in my chest. I cant seem to shake this cough no other symptoms like fatigue or fever or loss of appetite.
i feel pretty good except for the cough. Any suggestions what it could be? and does anyone think it could be serios condition i am srarting worry a little?  Any comments appreciated
There are many places where a cough can originate from, such as the lungs (ex, asthma), post nasal drip, GERD, are three of the most common reasons. Seeing that you did a lung function test that came out fine is a good thing and pretty much eliminates any problems with the lungs. GERD can present atypical in some people with only a dry cough. It's the bodies reaction to the acidic stomach contents going up their esophagus, a sort of protection mechanism. Do you cough up mucous from your lugs or from your throat? For some people who have post nasal drip, their only symptom can be a mucous cough. I cough every day too, but it's due to having too much mucous in my lungs ( I have asthma), and it's worst in the mornings and when I don't drink enough fluids.