Respiratory Disorders Community
chronic cough followed by vomitting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

chronic cough followed by vomitting

I have this tickle in the back of my throat which leads t coughing and then vomitting.  Every morning for the past month this has happened.  I went to the doctor and she gave me a cough meds which do not work taking singular.  I really see no results.  The medicine is expensive and i have no relief what so ever.  I have to have something to drink by myside all the time.  otherwise i will vomit while coughing.  it is emabarrassing and very irriatating to say the least.  I have ashtma, acid reflux. and I also have had 6 upper GI in the past because I have trouble swallowing food..  Does anyone know what else this could be?  
I would love to hear answers to this question has i am suffering with same symptoms but i dont have any other illness
I had asthma as a child, and it was much better in my 20's, but now it seems to be much more sensitive to illness, seasonal allergies, as well as other variables such as travel, weather changes, stress and what have you.  But for the first time ever this week, after catching my husband's virus, I've been coughing to the point of vomiting.  It hit over the holidays so there's been no good time to go to a doctor, but I hope to go tomorrow.  

My younger brother, who was born with a GI birth defect, and as such has no motility in his esophagus, has suffered from this issue for years.  The whole lot of us has or has had chronic sinus problems.  For my brother, I know mucus plus an excellent gag reflex generally makes for a bad time (and yes, he does have the GERD as well).  

I've been taking the Guaifenesin type product to thin secretions, and I honestly think that has made things worse for me, at least as far as the vomiting.  When it was thick globs of stuff it just hacked right up.  Now...it's just stringy and coming from everywhere!  So gross.  

As far as what this is, I'm guessing it's less due to one specific condition, or indicative of a certain ailment, and more just the body's reaction to a set of events.  And like so many things, once you get those certain parts irritated and upset and used to reacting in that way to relieve themselves, they persist in those actions.  Which is why it's so very hard to stop coughing, and why, I'm guessing, I can usually stop the coughing fit by puking.  We'll see...