Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
chronic cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

chronic cough
pla
My 8 year old daughter is having chronic cough, started in August 03.  Since then she has been to several doctor's including Children's in Boston, but the diagnosis is not clear.  She is now on singulair, Flonase, Advair 250/50, Foradil, Patanol (eye drops) and albuterol as needed.  But she still is not cough free.  She has shown allergies to dust mites and cats in the allergy test.  She complains of itchy eyes, and is almost always having a runny nose and sometimes stuffy nose.  Her cough is usually productive and she is always clearing her throat.  Her symptoms seem to get worse when she gets excited or is physical.  The doctor's are treating her for cough variant asthma, but are not sure why it is not coming under control.  When she is coughing badly, we give her albuterol generously and that seems to reduce the intensity of the spell after a while. Before she started having this problem, she was a healthy child with no real problems.  Asthma runs in the family (father).  Is there anything we can do to get her cough under control?  I would be grateful for any help or guidance in helping my child.  Thanks.
In a child who has a normal chest x-ray the most common causes of cough are postnasal drip, chronic sinus problem, heartburn, and asthma.  You will need to continue to work with your daughter
has she been worked up for reflux...even though it may sound odd given she's 8 and it just started you never know...also have her sinuses been checked out...maybe she needs a steroidal nasal spray.good luck
sorry  i just realized she's on flonase..but maybe get a ct of her sinuses....my daughter's dr didnt think she had a sinus infection until he did sinus films and they saw it...
A related discussion, copd exerbation was started.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker