Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
chronic sore throat, neck pain, chest pain, short of breath

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I've had very bad throat pain for the past 3 or 4 months. It started with throat pain then short of breath like if I'm airhunger. I feel like my breath may not be strong enough or there may an obstruction that reduces the airflow. Now I have chest and middle back pain now it started like 1 month ago, my posture has completly changed. Now my chest has "sunk" or feels like in a down position. ( I dont know how to explain) and my neck is protruded, like in forward position. When I try to conciencly pull my neck back it hurts. My entire tongue not just the front is constantly up pushing on my palate.It feels like the back part of my tongue is stuck up and thats what I feel hurts. It may be something in that area. I've been told that because it's a muscle it will eventually get tired and go down but it doesn't. I even wake up like that. I came to think that maybe it's the position or maybe the hyoid bone to high. I've also been told I have a high, narrow palate.

I've blood work done with a thyroid test and everything seems normal, throat culture was normal, swallowing video gram was normal, and yesterday I had an endoscopy for possible gerd, or ulcers and the doctor told me everything looked normal. I had a sleep study about 8 months ago and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. They said it was nothing that needs to be treated now. I don't think that was an accurate test for the fact that I couldn't sleep, I probably only slept for about 1 hour or two if that. I'm think maybe because my tongue is always up that might be the obstruction. I would really appreciate your help
Ask your doctor about seeing an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) specialist.  This would be the type of specialist to identify the physical causes of your symptoms.
Linda,

One possible explanation for your complaints is a systemic disease called sarcoidosis. It can affect any organ, including the throat, tongue and muscles. One of my complaints early on was that my tongue felt swollen, enlarged, and as a result, I sometimes bit it.

Sarcoidosis is a disease that can be difficult to diagnose and it is often misdiagnosed. The general textbook discriptions of this disease are rather vague. You may find the information that will answer your questions by going to PubMed and searching by keywords such as "tongue" and "sarcoidosis."

There is a general site on sarcoidosis at www.sarcinfo.com that has a lot of information about the disease. Hope this helps.

A related discussion, sarcoidosis and your neck was started.