Respiratory Disorders Community
chronic throat clearing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

chronic throat clearing

I have to clear my throat constantly it gets worse after  eat.  My voice gets very hoarse at times from clearing/coughing my throat.  It's been going on for 8 months and it's driving me nuts.When I lay down to go to sleep it totally goes away when I get up the clearing of the throat begins again.  I've seen a lung specialist, an allergist, an ENT, I've had a chest x-ray, an upper GI series all normal.  Anybody out there that can help me.  I'm at the end of my rope.
Are you coughing because of thick mucus in your throat? If so try taking 500 mg. of vitamin B5 daily. It is a mucus thinner and works beautifully. That is what I use it for. There are no side effects. You can go as high as 1000 mg.

Now even though they could find no allergies that doesn't mean you don't have any. Her is something else to try: buy a bottle of liquid Benadryl (the stuff they use for kids). When you start coughing take a big enough sip to wet your throat (no need to measure). If the coughing stops you have an allergy to something you eat or drink.
I have been clearing my throat and getting a hoarse/raspy voice off and on for 8 mos. now.  I went to my Dr. and he told me to take Claritin for allergies.  That didn't seem to do anything so I went to an ENT  who said my voice box was red from reflux and was prescribed Omeprazole 40 mg. I have been on it for 3 mos. and it hasn't done much.  I was having some heartburn and seemed to help. The type of job I have some days I'm on the phone a lot and that is when I have more of a problem.  The more I talk the weaker my voice seems.  My ENT also had me get a Barrium swallow xray which wasnegative.  What can it be?  Any advice??