Respiratory Disorders Community
cold and green sputum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

cold and green sputum

I've been suffering for the past 10 months with cold and green sputum and i was given antibiotics 4 times so far and its always recurrent, a month ago this happend agin but i only have taken claritin anti allerigic drug and did not use Airconditioner and it took care of it and didn't have to use antibiotics. My doctor told me my immune system got weaker and thats the reason why i kept getting sick every two months or less but this doesn't staisfy me as this never happend before in my life, i am 33 yr old male in good health cep this.. i do travel to diff countries alot for my work.
Please advise me if there is anything needs to be done to make sure this doesn't come back.. thanx..

This discussion is related to Green sputum.
I have had this for about 6 years. I am seeing an allergist/immunologist today. My father had an immune system deficiency when they did his blood work - and he constantly was in the hospital with bronchitis and other related problems. Whatever meds he takes now has basically fixed the deficiency.
You need to see a specialist, perhaps an allergist or hematologist if an immunological problem is present. Coughing up green is usually indicative of an infection...did the doctors ever culture your sputum to see what is growing in there? If the bacteria was resistant to the antibiotics that you were given then they would be useless. I should also ask how your sinuses are doing as they could be a source of a lingering infection..
If your doctor thinks that your immune system is weak then perhaps he could check out your immunoglobulin levels to make sure there isn't any true deficiencies. If there are, there are treatments out there that can help boost your immune system so that the frequencies of your infections decreases.
I am not a doctor, just a former RN so please take what I say for face value.
I hope this helps, Sunny