Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
constant coughing

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

constant coughing

I have a cough for 1 year to date and can't get any relief. I've seen 4 different doctors other than my Oncologist and no one can help me. I've taken a lot of meds and I have an inhaler. Nothing works. I vomit and get very dizzy when I cough.
I was diagnosed and treated for colon cancer in Sept 2010. I was 48. I was cleared in July 2011 after treatment. I developed this cough in Nov 2011 and still have it today. I've seen a Lung Dr., Gastro Dr. (which found that I also suffer from Acute gastritis), Family Dr., Oncologist and my Allergy Dr.  all to no avail. I've had two chest x rays and nothing was found. I've have a PET scan and nothing was found so now I don't know what to do. My cough is productive. My ears itch, my eyes run water and I must blow my nose after every coughing spell. Sometime I have to pull over to the side of the road if I'm driving. It's really bad. Please help me. I'm starting a new corporate job in a week and I don't want to be coughing in the office all day.. Thanks
Your message suggests that you have been evaluated for cough by some qualified specialists.  There are many causes of cough so it is not possible for me to venture a guess as to what might be the cause of your cough, but here is what I suggest.

In general lung specialists (pulmonologists) are knowledgeable about the various causes of chronic cough.  I suggest that you re-contact the lung specialist you saw with two requests:  1) that he/she reconsider the most likely cause of your cough and the additional testing that would be most likely to reveal the cause and allow for specific treatment and, 2) if the lung specialist is not able to provide any additional insight, that you request of him/her the location of the nearest University Medical Center Cough Clinic and then arrange for a consultation with one of the physicians at that clinic.

Good luck