Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
constant post nasal drainage after being burned

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

August 12th,2005 I was burned in the face and nasal passages while lighting a gas grill. I have been treated for interstitial pneumonitis. That seems to have cleared up,but I an still plagued with sinus problems such as pain, pressure, and constant drainage,and cough. For this problem I have been given Allegra 180, that didn't work so they gave me Nasonex which has made the drainage problem worse. Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.
                             Thank you,
                             Dawn
It is most likely that the lining of the sinuses has also been burned creating an ongoing inflammation.  The other real possibility is that an infection has also set in after the burn.  This is a common complication of such a burn.  It is possible that you will need a course of antibiotics to go along with the symptomatic treatment.  Also a CT scan of the sinuses may be necessary to assess the situation.  Nasal washes are one easy method to simply help the lining to heal.  Please read our nasal wash treatment information at http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/treatments/alt-ther/nasal-wash.aspx to learn more about this technique.  Share this information with your doctor to see if you would benefit from this daily treatment.

I would highly recommend working with your doctor closely to make sure this is adequately treated.  The drainage is an annoyance, but can lead to the coughing and even further lung problems.
I went back to the doctor and was put on antibiotics it seemed to have helped. The next problem is I can't mow grass or get around any airborne particles because every time I have respitory problems. I'm a firefighter and this happened at work.
How long am I going to have problems like this? They didn't send me to an ENT, and concider me MMI.