Respiratory Disorders Community
constint stabbing pain in lower left side of ribcage, especially when b...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

constint stabbing pain in lower left side of ribcage, especially when breathing

I am 33, male,6'5",235lbs and  in decent shape. Last night I started to feel a constint sharp, stabbing pain at the bottom of the left side of my rib cage. The pain got worse as I tried to sleep, and got so bad I wasnt able to sleep at all. Pain was worse in some positions then others but constint. Pain gets worse as I breath in and prevents me from taking a full breath. Coughing is extreamly painfull. Pain seems worse when I am sitting or lying down. I also found by applying pressure to the area of the ribs where the pain is coming from, the pain decreases but still not enough to take deep breaths. I have broken almost all my ribs throughout the years, but have not been injured or had trauma to that area for a couple years. Can you please help I cant afford to go to the hospital. Thank you very much!