Respiratory Disorders Community
controlling bronchiectasis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

controlling bronchiectasis

I have been diagnosed with alpha-1 antitrypsin enzyme deficiency. I was told I have one bad gene and one good gene and that ordinarily this configuration does not cause problems. I never smoked. Since I had a bad reaction to a cortisone epidural awhile ago,and got a bad case of pneumonia.  I have had asthma and catch respiratory infections very easily since then (pneumonia 5 times).  Is the bronchiectasis the reason I catch infections so easily? I was told it is mild. If I get any virus, it goes into a bacterial infection so fast. I need my inhaler about two-3 times a week. I use a steam mister at night in our bedroom. I take a lot of vitamin C. I was told the two gene Alpha-1 condition is COPD. I was told I am not a text book case and need to be treated as if I have that, on account of how easily I catch everything. The flu shots in the past made me sicker. I had them 6 years in a row. Last year I skipped it and I had the best winter in 6 years. (No pneumonia.)