Respiratory Disorders Community
copd amd mrsa

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

copd amd mrsa

hi, my distant relative was told to have copd...and was admitted 4 months ago due to trouble breathing. after another 4 months, again was hospitalized. apparently his blood was examined and the results were positive for mrsa? how did he got that? is it  because of the inhaler medications he's been using for some time..or he got it from the air. my friend told me that it was a staph infection...but isnt staph affects the skin only?///
Unfortunately, staph can infect just about any body part or fluids...blood included. What might have caused MRSA to get into the blood is spread of infection from let's say, the lungs and into the blood. Your relative might have picked up MRSA initially from his first hospital stay or other contact that had MRSA. Then perhaps he got a lung infection which made the MRSA spread and cause infection. BTW, Many people colonize MRSA on their skin (meaning that it is present but not causing infection)
I don't think that the inhalers caused his MRSA problems, MRSA also isn't airborn..it is spread from contact with the organism.
I am not a doctor, so please take what I say with a grain of salt....I am most certainly no expert in this. I did however experience sepsis with staph in my blood once. I had an infection in my lungs that made its way into the lung (just like the example I provided above)
Hope this helps..Sunny