Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
copd and gall bladder removal

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

copd and gall bladder removal

I will soon have to have surgery to have a big stone removed from my gallbladder (dormant for decades now it's beginning to hurt...), I googled the procedure for people with COPD and discovered that: 1) laparoscopy is the best solution, 2) laparoscopy is out of the question, totally unadvisable. Does anybody know where the truth lies, preferably from personal experience? and what if one has to have regular surgery, is total anesthesia possible/very dangerous with COPD? Thank you for any advice any of you may provide.
Tags: copd gall bladde removal
For a person with COPD, the risk of general anesthesia is, in general, related to the severity of the COPD.  Severe and very severe might well be a contraindication to general anesthesia, depending on one’s general health and other factors commonly associated with COPD, for example heart disease and obesity, but that is a judgment that must be made on an individual basis by the surgeon and the anesthesiologist.  Laparascopic surgery is commonly and safely performed in persons with mild-moderate COPD.

The bottom line is that COPD is not an absolute contraindication to the administration of general anesthesia, but is a strong indication for careful risk assessment in the individual patient, by all doctors involved with the surgery.  Do not rely upon or be seriously influenced by what you find with a Google search.

Good luck