Respiratory Disorders Community
copd/stomach bloating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

copd/stomach bloating

Has any one out there noticed a corraliation between copd and eating??  I've noticed that after I eat, rest for 20 -40 min. and get up to begin activity (even waking to my vehicle) my stomach bloats severly, I have shortness of breath and a full hard stomach.  No matter how much or how little I eat or what I eat.  Dealing with this for 4 years, elimaniting everything and coming up with nothing.  Is there any one else out there with these symptoms??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bop
I wrote to you in another window and I am not sure that it got through.  So, will repeat.  My symptoms match yours exactly.  I have found two things that work a little:  Pickle juice(Bubbies) and wine or liquor.  Talking to anyone in the medical field about this from specialists to country doctors is like talking to a wall.  In fact, the wall may be more sympathetic.  If you find anything please let me know!

Gary
I too experienced similar experience.  i felt like it was a terrible case of indigestion.  Some said it wa sirriable bowel, Dr. said it was GERD.  I started usung mints not gum and the excess gas and bloating took care of itself.  I have them in mouth all the time.  didn't want to try prevacid or anything else cause there wasn't any dr. diagnosis involved it was just trial and error,it's not perfect but better than it was.
I have the same problem as well. I too have COPD. My stomach will go from relatively flat, to filling like a balloon after eating. I am certain all the cures mentioned by others do work. For myself, I just try to eat a number of light meals throughout the day. They say with COPD, to eat 6 small meals a day. For me, when I get bloated like that, breathing becomes more difficult as well. I do have GERD. Was diagnosed many years ago with it and I do have IBS as well. But, I have learned the foods to avoid, so the GERD and IBS are not such a problem anymore. I firmly believe the COPD does somehow effect the stomach. All these posts prove that or it does in my opinion. I will sometimes take an acid reliever, if the bloating is real bad. So far, that has worked for me as well. Hope this helps you and the others that have posted here. I will keep the remedies posted in mind as well.
I now know I have COPD.  My bloating has become so excessive - thought I had ovarian cancer.

My waist is about 5 inches bigger than it should be - it will go down a couple of inches - but horrible to buy clothes.  I eat very little - try to eliminate all kinds of foods that will bloat or cause a food allergy. I don't eat sugar, white flour, white rice, and very little dairy.

I cannot hold my stomach in - due to the lung problem - so I look pregnant.  Anyone know of a way to stop this or I am destined to live with it.
MY husband has copd but his bloating isnt from gas, he takes a lasix and potasium for water weight, they say you can get right side heart failure from copd and this is what causes his distended stomach
i have the same thing going on with my stomach and this may sound rediculous but after a big meal or any meal as a matter of fact i will take 2 walgreens stool softeners, no more than two a day and what it does is help me get rid of the bloated feeling and also any gas build up in my stomach,i eat a lot of turkey which keeps the weight down.it works for me but may not work for everyone
Wow!! Just about every one of my direct concerns is addressed in all of the above comments - even to the comment where karin1aka considered ovarian cancer!! I did too - in fact brought that up with my doctor during a complete physical on 10Jul12!! This was before I had the chest x-ray indicating expanded lungs.  Looks not so good.  More tests to come.  But, aha, I see there may well be a correlation between breathing issues and bloating!! I've tried it all (with the exception of meds).  Mint tea, modification of diet, eliminated well known culprits, dairy, gluten, salts, sugars, sodas, treats, nothing worked aside from an unexpected and happy 11 pound weight loss.  Bloating continued.  I am now going to explore the possibilities of yogic breathing and exercise.
I have copd in the right lung. I have also had an emplyemia, after the lining of the right lung came off 3 years ago. When I eat, I bloat, and have a difficult time breathing, no matter what it is I eat. If I am on predisone it helps. Why is this, and is there any relief?
bud.***@****
Well bud, I also have copd and every morning after getting up I start to get cramps in the belly and full of gas. Breathing gets worse.  Have tried all the stool softners and take gaviscone. But still dont help. I also tAke prednisolone. It helps with the breathing a little . But still doubled up in pain with belly . I find the only way to stop pain is go to bed for a couple of hours.  
Hi! I have COPD.  I have a slight protrusion of my stomach on the right side and have stomach bloating. This used to be occasional, but it seems pretty constant if I'm not sitting and also causes shortness of breath. I was told this extra gas and bloating is also caused by my oxygen therapy at home. I take gas pills, but it's not a lot of help?  Have you heard of the stomach protrusion also? Docs have felt stomach and no comments so I guess all feels ok.