Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
copd treatments

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

copd treatments

I was wondering if there is any other kind of herbal or vitiman supplements and other ways to detoxify my lungs? i was told in 2010 that i have copd and just last month i had to bad attacks that i was put in hospital and on the second visit they sent me home with o2 to use 24/7 plus a bipap to use at night....but i feel good and i dont understand why i have the o2 all the time, i dont see my pulma til the end of this month...i dont understand the stages either  1 doc at the hospital told me i was either stage 3 or 4 but that she was leaning toward stage 4 if iam suppose to be in stage 4 why do i feel so good yes there are days that i am a little tired but i rest when i am tired and i try to walk on my treadmill an hour a day....PLEASE ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD HELPFUL!!!!  THANK YOU
The Stages of Severity (1-4) of COPD is based largely on pulmonary function measurements.  But, the fact is that one’s functional capacity (the ability to engage in a variety of physical activities) is based on a number of factors other than measured pulmonary function.  Another way to put it is that the ability of two individuals to engage actively in life may differ significantly, despite the fact that their measured pulmonary function is nearly the same.  

In addition, while the frequency with which supplemental oxygen is required for persons with advanced COPD, varies considerably in a population of persons with Stage III or Stage IV disease, it includes persons like yourself who may or may not need oxygen to approximate a normal life and persons with an absolute need for oxygen despite Spirometric measures comparable to your.

The best way to determine oxygen need is to measure a person’s oxygen saturation or his/her oximetry at rest, with activity and with sleep. Discuss with your doctor.  He should be enthusiastic about checking your oxygen needs (or not).  Also ask for recommendations for stretching exercises and anaerobic exercise, including the use of weights.

I have no idea if supplements can be useful to persons with COPD but the following report suggests that those studied may reduce the frequency of exacerbations (flare-ups that frequently require hospitalization).  The assertion that these substances reduced the frequency of exacerbations remains controversial and the following should be looked-upon as but one study and not a consensus of lung specialists.

If you wish to know more about COPD, go to the National Jewish Health website:  http://www.nationaljewish.org/healthinfo/conditions/copd-chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease/

I am delighted to hear that you walk on your treadmill, one mile each day.  When the weather allows, and the air is not polluted, walk outside as well.  Whatever you do, don’t stop exercising.  

Good luck,

Authors Full Name Isbaniah, F. Wiyono, W H. Yunus, F. Setiawati, A. Totzke, U. Verbruggen, M A.

Institution Department of Pulmonology and Respiratory Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Indonesia, Persahabatan Hospital, Jakarta, Indonesia.

Title Echinacea purpurea along with zinc, selenium and vitamin C to alleviate exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: results from a randomized controlled trial.

Source Journal of Clinical Pharmacy & Therapeutics. 36(5):568-76, 2011 Oct.

Abstract WHAT IS KNOWN AND OBJECTIVE: Upper respiratory tract infections (URTI) frequently cause exacerbations of chronic-obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Stimulation of the innate immune system may provide an early defense against such infections. The objective of this study was to determine whether Echinacea purpurea (EP) along with micronutrients may alleviate COPD exacerbations caused by acute URTI. METHODS: This was a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial in COPD patients with acute URTI. Patients were given ciprofloxacin for 7 days and additionally one tablet per day of EP, of EP along with zinc, selenium and ascorbic acid (EP+), or of placebo until day 14. Serum levels of TNF alpha and interleukins 1beta, 6 and 10 were measured before and after treatment. Until week 4 post-end of treatment, all patients had to daily report on COPD symptoms in diaries. RESULTS AND DISCUSSION: In total, 108 mostly male patients with a mean age of 65.8 years (40-81 years) were enrolled. Patients of the three treatment arms did not vary significantly in baseline characteristics. EP+, but not EP resulted in significantly less severe and shorter exacerbation episodes following URTI as compared with placebo suggesting a synergistic effect of Echinacea and micronutrients. Large variations in biomarkers in-between and within groups were unrelated to treatment. Study medication was safe and well tolerated with overall 15 adverse events one of which was serious. Among those, sleeping disorders were most frequent and likely related to the underlying disease. WHAT IS NEW AND CONCLUSION: The combination of EP, zinc, selenium and vitamin C may alleviate exacerbation symptoms caused by URTI in COPD. Further studies are warranted to investigate the interactions among Echinacea, zinc, selenium and vitamin C. Copyright 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.

Publication Type Journal Article. Randomized Controlled Trial. Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't.

Date Created 20110915

Year of Publication 2011