Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
c.o.p.d.

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

c.o.p.d.

Several years ago, I was diagnosed with C.O.P.D.  Of course this was due to 42 years of non stop smoking.  I have been put on many different type of medication, in cluding the use of a nebulizer and hand held inhalers.  When I have my periodic checkups at the V.A. Hospital, the always take x-rays.  The last time the xrays were read, they said my lungs looked clear.  And yet, I feel as though I am getting worse.  I have developed a horrible broncial cough.  The cough being so bad at times my chest hurts real bad.  I have trouble walking to our curb side mail box, and back.  When I go into a store like Wal-Mart, I must use an electric cart, otherwise I can not walk the floors.  I am also bring up spudem, sometimes clear, sometime a dark yellow.  I know that C.O.P.D. effects a patient in four stages.  Would my description of my condition lead you to beleive that I am in stage three or stage four?  I do have an upcoming appointment with my Pulmonary Doctors come the day after Chrismas.  Am I in line for an unwanted present?
Thank you for your input.
When your chest x-ray is read as "lungs looked clear", that means that there is no sign of infection or cancer.  All that is seen are the findings of COPD.

Each stage of emphysema is based on symptoms and measured loss of pulmonary function, especially the forced expiratory volume in the first second (FEV1).  The FEV1 is the amount of air that can be forcefully expelled in the first second of exhalation.  It is an indicator of airway obstruction and how far the COPD has progressed.  Normal is 80% or greater of the predicted value.  The predicted value for a given individual is based on age, gender, height, and race or ethnicity.  From your description your condition does sound severe.  However you
How were you diagnosed with copd? Were you give a pft? And have you had one lately? If not I definetly would ask for one and would see a pulmonologist, for the best treatment and you should probably be doing rehab.