Respiratory Disorders Community
cortizone shot to cure Bronchitis or Pneumonia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

What is the name of the cortizone shot that is used to relieve the symthoms of Bronchitis and Pneumonia?  It is a clear liquid and makes one well in 24 hours. It is given in the upper hip with a needle so small you do not even feel it. It is a miracle drug!, But I was never told the name of this drug. Can you help me with this?
Cortisone shots are typically given for specific areas of inflammation in the body. It contains a steroid, such a prednisone. Prednisone is often given orally to patients who need to take it for any duration. For instance I use prednisone for a few weeks when my asthma is very bad. In order to get faster relief, the prednisone can be injected into the body. This is done only in the hospital as an emergency basis, because the asthma patient or any patient in respiratory distress is at high risk of death. After that the patient is then given oral prednisone till the lungs have recovered to 80% of their lung function.

I find it odd that your doctor gives a shot for your bronchitis. I've had bad infections too, but I take my usual couple of weeks of prednisone on top of my asthma inhalers, till my lung function has recovered. Infections don't clear up in one day. A bad infection does take several weeks to months sometimes to heal up. The steroid is aimed at reducing the inflammation in the airways, and this doesn't occur over night. Most doctors would prescribe a low dose inhaler for those who are having breathing issues with acute bronchitis. A cortisone shot, I would imagine has far more steroid in that one shot, then does a steroid inhaler taken over many weeks. Hence the reason for the preference to go with low dose steroids. Steroids at high doses carry many risks and are reserved for critical times. Any patient should be maintained on the lowest dose possible with long term use.

Following is a brief article from the Mayo Clinic on cortisone shots:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cortisone-shots/MY00268
I too, was seen at my local doctores office yesterday morning. I was diagnosed with Acute Bronchotis. I was injected with two shots and prescribed Medrol and Zithromaxx.
Why would anyone take steroids for bronchitis when vitamin B5 is cheaper and safer? I have chronic bronchitis and take 1000 mg. daily. B5 also relieves infectious bronchitis because it  thins mucus and reduces inflammation. There are no side effects. Steroids may also relieve the condition, but it does not cure it, and has dangerous side effects. I should know. Advair, an inhaled steroid, gave me adrenal fatigue and caused such severe choking that I thought I would die. Doctors know prescription medicines; they do not know supplements.
I was just given a steroid shot after I refused.  I have upper and lower respiratory infections and antibiotics hadn't cleared it up, I felt worse after a week so I gave in.  The Doc said in most likelihood I wouldn't see a flare up of insomnia or anxiety (both I suffer from) and here I am... Up 24 hours now, feeling slightly better but all too jittery to sit still for long long let alone lay, get comfortable etc.

I would recommend that those with conditions such as bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, and insomnia STRONGLY weigh how bad they feel with how bad they would feel on no sleep and more anxious or a manic episode.  I noticed that both doctors who offered the shot and recommended it were older, much older than my primary who wasn't available and had previously given prednisone in low dose or albuterol.  Take an inhaler if you must but I, personally, don't feel like it was worth it.
I have a bad case of bronchitis which regular antibiotics did not help. My lung doctor gave me 15 days of prednisone (cortisone) which is helping slowing. (I'm on day 4) I definitely have insomnia but that seems to be the only side effect.
I was given a steriod yesterday for an asthma/bronchitis situation along with an antibiotic and 24 hours later I feel much better.  I'm still on amoxicillin.  First time for an injection and I'm relieved.  Predisone makes me feel crazy and this didn't.
I had strep and bronchitis at the same time. I have had a pretty bad cough for about 4 weeks now. My first visit, my dr gave me some steroid pills that you take by mouth, along with an inhaler and 2 other medicines. I went to the dr a week and a half later after taking all those medicines and still had a bad cough, nothing helped. He then gave me a steroid shot, which was painful, even the next day. The next day I could feel a slight difference in my cough. My first visit the dr recommended the steroid shot instead of pills, I did not want a shot, so I took the pills. I wish I would have listened and did the shot first. I am a bit jittery and did not sleep as well te day after the steroid shot.
I too was diagnosed today with Bronchitis.I finally gave in and went to the doctor after taking numerous over the counter meds for well over a week and Nothing really changed...Although the Mucinex did help control my terrible coughs!..I started running a fever last night which made me think what I had was far worse than just a cold/flu...so to the doctor I went! The doc gave me a steroid shot right on the bum and said it will start working immediately..its supposed to work  much faster than pills.She also prescribed some Amoxicillan,Predisone pills for 7 days and promethazine  (some cough syrup)..so far it's been 6 hrs since the steroid shot  and one amoxicillan pill down and surprisingly feeling alot better.I'm going to take the cough syrup tonight and start my predisone pills tomorrow morning:)
Thanks for the info on the B5..Being that I work with small children that are always passing on their  colds/illnesses frequently,I will make sure to have this available for me..I'm assuming you can find these pills anywhere right?..Walmart,Walgreens,etc?