Respiratory Disorders Community
costochondritis - can it cause nausea

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

costochondritis - can it cause nausea

hi there, i've been suffering from inflammed muscles between my ribs and back pain for nearly 3 months.

i've been advised to take up yoga but is there anything else i can do to speed up my recovery? i don't take medicines because of a wok-related accident.

also is it common with this to feel constantly nauseous, and to have all the symptoms of flu and a swollen belly?

any advice would be great as i find it quite hard to catch my breath sometime.
did you ever get an answer about the nausea?   i've been diagnosed with costo and have also had continuous gurgling, nausea, dizziness and bloating.  it's been going on for 3 months and i have a 3 month old baby.  the doctors think it's anxiety, but i feel it might be related to costo.    
any advice would be great!   thanks  
hi there,

sorry to hear about your symptoms i can relate. i think from what i can gather is that my costochondritis started because of allergies and excess sneezing i was doing. then because i suffer from anxiety this was adding to everything.

i was prescribed anti-histamines and they helped stop the coughing and sneezing to help my body repair but now i am coughing lots and fighting off infection not sure if its related.

i also have a very sore back so its hard to tell what is causing nausea although it seems to be linked to both.

do you suffer from allergies?
thanks for your response.  when my costochondritis started was the day after i delivered my baby.  i had a home birth and a fairly long labor.  they think i strained myself while pushing.  then i had a cough for some time and some allergy symptoms.  my chest actually feels better in the last couple of weeks.  i've been going to a chiropractor, that may be helping.   but the nausea is driving me crazy.   i have a bit of a cancer phobia and have been worrying about stomach and colon cancer.  i don't have insurance or i would just make then do more extensive tests.  i did recently have x-rays and also an ultrasound of every organ and found nothing.  i'm trying to believe it is just anxiety, but i just want it to go away.   thanks for listening.
Just made this recommendation elsewhere in the forum, but here goes again.  When I had my baby 3 years ago, I had severe stomach issues that lasted a year and a half.  The thing that finally helped me was probiotics.  The most helpful form was a drink called Kombucha.  You can make it yourself cheap, but my fav is GT's Synergy Kombucha.  It has a billion organisms a bottle.  My issues were SO severe, that I credit Kombucha with saving my life.  (No, I'm not being dramatic!)  The healthy gut flora will definitely help with nausea.
Your symptoms sound like fluid retention to me.  At Heart Failure Solutions we talk a lot about fluid retention because it really isn't understood by western medicine, but the excess fluid will over work your heart and cause damage.  Fluid retention has many causes, one of which is trauma.  Enzymes and probiotics (like the one I recommended above to Connie479) can help with fluid retention if you are having nutrition issues.  Come on by and join the discussion, maybe you'll get some ideas that will be effective.

Be well, many blessings.

you should join the anxiety forum, trust me you're not alone in your thoughts and i understand the nausea aspect of it. however, nausea also is more prevalent when you are anxious, think about it when stressed your guts are literally stressed and this will make you feel sick.

i think once you deal with the anxiety you'll find more relief.

also if it was cancer of the stomach or bowel then blood would be present in your stools. i believe you would have these symptoms before you would feel nauseous.

i'm worried my costo might be back as i have been coughing so much and i cant get rid of my cough and feel like i've trapped phlegm!!
hi my name is Danielle and I suffured from costo this time last year for 2 1/2 months. I also had a small child and it drove me crazy not being able to pick him up or play with him. Now a year later I am writing a reasearch paper on it. What I have  found so far is that the doctors still know very little about the disease therefore there is very little to help cope let alone prevent it from coming back. One thing i found to help is hot hot tea. I know its hard to sleep so i just tried to take all my pain meds at night so it will knock me out I know thats not very healthy but thats the only thing i found that worked. Best wishes to all!
heh danielle, my costo hasn't been as bad lately. i did develop a bad chest infection but so far so good. i'm finding my back pain more intolerable but i also find hot drinks and a hot water bottle work for both. i think mine came from my allergies!
Hey i'm Jess, 20 years old, and I also have costochondritis. I have no idea where it came from though. I was sick, throwing up a lot, and then after that I had costo. I've had in since January. It comes and goes and is currently back again (because I think I might be getting a cold). I have  nausea with it all the time and it took me getting the inflammation twice to realize that every time my chest pain returned, the nausea became more severe. I used to be very active and sporty, and now it has become difficult to do any of the cardio and exercise I used to do. Trying to manage it though.