Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
cough attack with yellow mucus

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

cough attack with yellow mucus

Hi all,
I have a cough problem that lasts for years now.

I'm allergic to dustmite and dust but not very much. This was diagnosed 10 years ago.
Eversince I'm on Aerius.
I remember having coughing attacks for slightly less than that, maybe 6-8 years.
What happens is that I sometimes drink a sip of water and it sort of triggers cough like it went the wrong way.
Then the cough doesn't stop for 15-20 minutes after which i start coughing out fluid yellow/orange phlegm.
It's been getting more in volume lately, especially after I go running (it's been cold air few times).
When I go running I manage to make some distance and just about when I get myself warmed up and breathing (after 5-10min) the wheezing and heavy breathing starts and then after 15 min of coughing phlegm starts coming out.
Last 3-4 months I've been feeling really bad and fatigued, and I got various symptoms and after ending up at doctor and having 2 rounds of antibiotics my condition was slightly better. But now the coughs started again, usually in the morning.
I have nasal polyps, and for last month I've been breathing only on my mouth since nose is blocked.
So I wake up with dry mouth and feeling something is stuck in my throat that triggers coughing after i take a sip of water.
Not sure if this is related, but I've noticed increase in cough attacks after starting my nasal spray corticosteroid therapy.
After those attacks I usually look pale/yellow and have dark circles around the eyes. While having it my lips go purple or blue-ish.

Anyway, after those attacks I'm usually fine for few days.

I stopped smoking 4 months ago after having slight tearing/itching sensation in top right and back part of lungs, which is now almost gone.
Last night I was out and there was a lot of smoke, and I've just had this attack now.

I've done lungs xray and they said everything looks fine, and doctor said he can't hear anything wrong inside. Spirometry is also fine, ecg fine.

Ideas? TY
The information that you have provided suggests a number of possibilities, most having to do with asthma.  Individuals who have asthma may also have a hyper-reactive cough reflex in the throat that may respond to solids, liquids, hot or cold liquids and that may be what is going on.  However, the production of “yellow orange phlegm” raises other questions, for example that you might have a condition called ABPA (an allergic reaction to one of a number of fungi), this a condition associated with asthma and one that can lead to a lung condition called bronchiectasis.  Another possibility would be the diagnosis of ABPA in association with Cystic Fibrosis (CF).  In each of these circumstances this condition, ABPA can flare-up with superimposed infection;  for that reason, bacterial culture of your sputum might be helpful.  It would be reasonable for your lung specialist to check for each of these (ABPA and CF), if not already done.  That assessment might require your having a high resolution CT Scan.

Your asthma symptoms with running are a bit atypical but common in persons whose basic asthma is sub-optimally controlled

In most instances, nasal polyps can be controlled with an inhaled nasal steroid, one exception being when the polyps are so large they prevent passage of the nasal steroid into one’s nose.  In that situation, an oral course of steroids may be needed to shrink the polyps, following which the inhaled steroid will suffice to control them.

Good  luck