Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
cough that last over a month after colds

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Hi,i am a 43 years old female, for the past 2 years I have been having non productive coughs after a cold that last over one or 2 months, the last time the cough lasted over 3 months, the cough was mostly at night. I went to the neumologist and he said it was postnasal dripping and gave antibiotics and syrtec for a week, it stopped, but after i finished the treatment it came back, I went back and was given a shot of Diprospan(cortisona) it stopped, but after 10 days it came back, but this time I had wheezing and lack of air, I went back to the doctor and he told me I had a Reactive Airway disfunction, then I went to an alergist and he gave me (brclomethasone) 2 puffs 3 times a day and syrtec and it started getting better. I have been with this treatment for 2 months but stopped the syrtec.  I have a problem with panic attacks and been on Paxil for about 2 years, I get very scared when I feel lack of air. My alergist did some Ige blood test it came out very low the normal rate was up to 87 and I had 118, he told me that I dont have asthma, but I think I do, because if I  am exposed to perfumes and cold air, I cough a little at night and feel lack of air. I forgat the most important thing, the house next door for the last 4 months has been in remodeling and they have been working with wood, making doors and windows day and night (this is a third world country).
I told the doctors that and they say that as soon as that is finished probably my problem goes away.I
I am concerned, because although I feel better the symptoms are there,less but are ther.I never had asthma. Thanks
It is very scary when you feel a lack of air.

Viral infections like a cold can cause inflammation of the airways of the lungs.  Usually when this occurs, you will cough when you are exposed to irritants like perfumes, cold air, and the work with the wood at the house next door.  This inflammation can cause wheezing and coughing.  After the cold is gone, it is possible for the inflammation to linger.  This inflammation can last for several weeks.  Sometimes this inflammation may linger for 3 to 6 months.  Eventually the inflammation will go away, and then the wheezing and coughing will stop.  This is called reactive airways disease (RAD) and behaves a lot like asthma.  When this inflammation is treated with an inhaled steroid, like beclomethasone, which is used to treat asthma, it often clears more quickly.

When this continues, it is generally considered to be asthma.  Testing can be helpful to show if your symptoms are due to asthma or RAD or panic attacks.  Generally testing starts with a simple breathing test called spirometry.  This test provides detailed information about how your lungs are working.  It will show if there is obstruction in your airways.  To really test for asthma it is best to repeat this test after using a rescue inhaler, an inhaled bronchodilator.  This measures how much the bronchodilator helps your lungs by reversing the problem.  When there is a 20% increase, the test is positive for asthma.

Postnasal drip is drainage from the nose and sinuses dripping down the back of the throat.  There could be several reasons for this drainage.  One reason is an allergy.  A second reason is a non-allergic, non-infectious inflammation in the sinuses that can linger after a cold.  A third reason is chronic sinusitis.  Postnasal drip can cause breathing difficulty as a result of irritation of the throat and lungs.  Drinking plenty of water will help to thin the mucus so that it moves more easily.  As long as you are not on a fluid restriction you should be drinking 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of non-caffeine non-alcoholic fluid daily.  An antihistamine, like the syrtec, can dry up the postnasal drip.  However, it may make the mucus thicker and more difficult to move.  A decongestant like Sudafed
I have had a sore throat going on 2 1/2 months. It is accompanied by a cough and occasional earache, very light though.
I went to the doctor at Kaiser, who didn't see anything wrong with my throat and phoned an ENT doctor. Over the phone I was diagonosed with GERD.I was then put on medication to treat it. I have no other signs of GERD. I am upset because I still have this sore almost painful throat, and a cough all day. Very litle mucous comes up. I don't feel this is the right diagonis. I'm trying to get in to see a ENT doctor to be examined, but Kaiser keeps putting me off.They have you go through this whole referral suystem before they will see you, and I am alittle worried.I do have asthma, but this feels different.
Thank you.
Amber
I've had a hacking choking cough for almost 2 months.  I've been on 3 diff antibiotics, finished up 5 bottles of cough syrup, am working on my second Ambutrol inhaler.  I've had chest Xrays, etc.  Been to the ER 3 times.  Don't they know anything at all?  I'm getting really scared.  My bladder just empties out when I cough and I dry heave and can't breath at the end of the episode.  Since it's pretty obvious the ducks don't know a thing about how to get rid of this, I was wondering if anyone had found that a particular diet that might at least keep the phlegm down.  These 'more productive coughs' are killing me.  My ribs ache and I can't go out without a towel for the urine problem.  Therefore, I'm really stuck at home, and I live alone and there's nobody to help me with getting food or anything so I'm really anxious to get rid of this.  
ANY help at all will be appreciated.