Respiratory Disorders Community
coughing until you black out

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

coughing until you black out

Has anyone found a answer for this?  Does it eventually go away when the cough goes away or do I always have to worry about my husband blacking out for the rest of his life?  Please someone tell me it stopped eventually.  We have been to the doctors, ER, Cardio and no answer except it is coughing syncope.  No solutions.  I am so affraid to let him drive by himself or with our son in the car.
please help.
But have they found the reason why he has a cough in the first place? Has he had a pulmonary function test? If it is a disorder in the lungs, then he could get treatment for the cough, so he doesn't have uncontrollable coughing fits, that obviously lead him to fainting in the first place. I guess he must experience a sudden drop in blood pressure brought on by coughing, if they are calling it coughing syncope. Usually a sudden drop in blood pressure is brought on by standing up, and the heart isn't able to compensate quick enough.
They think he has broncatis.  All test show that his heart rate doesn't drop when he blacks out.  At least that is what the EKG showed at the emergency room.  It seems to be pretty common but no one will answer my question.  Does it go away when the cough does or am I to worry the rest of our lives everytime he coughs he will black out.
DId you mean bronchitis? If that's the case, then once his coughing clears up, I"m pretty sure this fainting thing will clear up too, or rarely happen. It's probably a sensitive point for him that has been brought out by the infection.
While driving, and in the middle of conversation, she coughed three times and on the third one, she went to sleep. I panicked! I put the car in neutral, and it finally slowed almost to a stop, she woke up as if nothing happened. She even started to snore within seconds. It scrares me to death. Does she have coughing syncope? First time I saw this she turned red in a coughing fit and passed out, fell to the floor. But my goodness, while driving? Is her Blood pressure falling or sky rocketing?