Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
coughing up blood in morning
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

coughing up blood in morning

Almost two weeks ago, I came down with a cold.  About a week ago I started to develop Bronchitis.  Then about five days ago, I started coughing up blood in the morning only.  I went to the doctor the next day and he seemed pretty unconcerned.  I am SLOWLY getting over the bronchitis (The cold id gone), but I still cough up blodd first thing in the morning.  It seems to be from higher in my bronchials, because as the cough gets deeper, the blood goes away.  I have been coughing rather violently since the night before the blood started. Should I be worried?  How long does this usually last?  Is there anyway to promote healing? Anything to help put my mind at ease would be greatly apprieciated.  Thank you.
Related Discussions
251132_tn?1198082422
The blood is probably from fairly severe bronchitis, but you and your doctors must not assume that to be the case.  You should have a chest x-ray.  The approach to this should depend on your age and your smoking history.

The bleeding could have been brought on by violent coughing.  Also blood sometimes drips down from the nose and is coughed up.  Ask your doctor to make sure the blood is not coming from your upper respiratory airways.
2 Comments
Blank
For the last two mornings now, my 1st sneeze in the morning contained phlegm with blood. But my succeeding sneezes and cough throught the day didn't show blood. What could be the reason for this?
Blank
A related discussion, coughing up blood in the morning was started.
Blank
A related discussion, helpful advice sought. was started.
Blank
A related discussion, Coughing up blood. was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker