Respiratory Disorders Community
coughing up blood

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

coughing up blood

hi.my dad is 55 years old and he has some flu and cough from the last 4 to 5 days.he told me that this morning he was coughing really hard and spit out blood which was almost about half a cup..he is not an alcoholic and he doesn't smoke either.he has coughed up blood for the first time and i am really worried.can you please tell me what this might mean? also there was no phlegm in the blood,it was just blood.please help.
P.S: he is a heart patient and has had 2 heart attacks in the past 15 years..recently he had his angiography and angioplasty done and last week he had an appointment with his cardiologist who said he was fine..so i don't think its related to heart but i cant figure out what it could be..can you help..
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The major cause of coughing up blood is chronic bronchitis or bronchiectasis. Other possible causes of coughing up blood include COPD, lung cancer, tuberculosis, pulmonary embolism, pneumonia and lung abscess to name a few. Also, check to see if he is on blood thinners for heart disease, this could be causing the bleeding. I suggest he should go the ER, for immediate evaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
He needs to go to the ER or to his doctor asap