Respiratory Disorders Community
could coughing cause broken ribs?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

could coughing cause broken ribs?

About 3 months ago, I developed a terrible cough. I am a smoker so I cut the smoking out & began breathing treatments with some albuterol I got from a friend. The cough eased though it never went away. then, about a month and a half after it began, I got really ill. Not having health insurance I didn't want to go to a doctor because I couldn't afford to pay up front. After about a week of feeling really rotten I took myself to the emergency room. The doctor told me I had walking pneumonia. After taking the 6 different prescription meds completely, I felt better but the cough & wheezing never went away. The cough is non productive and very deep. Thanksgiving night, I noticed a soreness in my mid to lower back. By noon the next day the pain was excruciating. With much reluctance, I went back to the ER. The doc told me after x rays, that I was over pneumonia but have bronchitis and pleurisy. He gave me anti inflamitories and something for pain. After spending 5 whole days in bed, I felt ok enough to return to work. Well, last night I was visiting a friend and had a coughing spell. I coughed very deeply and felt a hard pop in my back. It was so audible that 3 people in the room heard it. I hit the floor and almost blacked out from the pain. After calming down I coughed again and felt another snap in the same area. My friend who is a nurse tried to feel my ribs for any abnormalities, however, I am a larger woman and feeling my bones proved difficult. The pain is unbearable and trying to supress a cough is horrible. I am in such pain. Because my ER bills are stacking up, I hate to go back because I know there's not much they can do for a broken rib. But when I cough even lightly I feel like I am being stabbed! Should I suck it up and go, or is there anything I can do at home? Is it even possible to break a rib from coughing? I am really in terrible pain.