Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
could i have pneumonia or tb?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

could i have pneumonia or tb?

hi,

just to give a brief medical history, i had flu like symptoms that started jan 3 (fever, body aches and pains, colds and cough). was off sick for 2 weeks. self-medicated with paracetamol and clarithromycin 500 mg twice a day for a week from jan 9-15. still not feeling well after this then  lost my voice on the 15th of jan. went to visit my gp on the 16th and was just advised to rest as i have already taken antibiotics and just continue with medications for colds and cough. by this time, i am already experiencing pleuritic pain on the lower left lobe of my lungs. it hurts too much to deep breathe let alone cough! still, i just started to take  ibuprofen for it, but it doesnt feel like it was doing anything. as i am working with surgeons i have asked for a referral for a chest xray on the 1st of feb but only got the result back last feb 22 saying i have lower respiratory tract infection.

after the xray (feb 1), as i was not still any better i.e., still with cough (but no colds and/or fever), i was advised to take augmentin 675mg which i started feb 5 to feb 12. this made me feel a lot better, although pleuritic pain is still very much present. i havent stopped drinking cough meds so it helped a bit in easing up on the pleuritic pain as well as taking paracetamol constantly for it. but just last week, i have recently developed colds symptoms again and coughing is back on again. and now i can feel pain on the left side of my chest whenever i deep breathe. i am absolutely lost. i dont know what to do anymore!

now i have to go back to my gp but i dont know what medical tests or any medicines to ask of him to make me feel better! pls help..it doesnt help that this winter is not letting up on the cold weather, and i feel it is making me worst!
This sounds like it is a complicated case which may have started with a simple upper respiratory infection.  Pleuritic pain usually means that the lining of the lungs are inflamed and may have fluid and a secondary infection.  Your GP may or may not hear “rubbing” when he/she listens to your lungs.  That may be related to the finding on the chest x-ray which indicated a lower respiratory infection.  Most of the time a lower respiratory infection means pneumonia. That could also be the cause of the pleuritic pain.

If the augmentin worked before, it might be a good idea to try it again.  Of course, this could all be due to a viral infection, in which case antibiotics will not make a difference.