Respiratory Disorders Community
could it be phlegm not mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Here is some info about Pleurisy that I copied from the medline site:

Alternative names

Inflammation of the pleural lining with subsequent pain.

Causes and risks
Pleurisy may develop in the presence of bacterial lung infections, upper respiratory infections, tuberculosis, rheumatoid diseases, and lung neoplasms. The main symptom is pain over the chest wall at the site of the inflammation. The pain is increased by deep breathing, coughing, and chest movement. The normally smooth pleural surfaces, now roughened by inflammation, rub together with each breath and may produce a rough grating sound called a "friction rub" which can be heard with the stethoscope or an ear held against the chest.

Fluid can accumulate at the site of pleural inflammation. A localized collection of fluid separates the lung pleura from the chest wall pleura causing the chest pain to disappear even though the illness may be worsening. Large accumulations of fluid compromise breathing and may cause coughing, shortness of breath with rapid breathing (tachypnea), and cyanosis, and retractions.

Early treatment of bacterial respiratory infections can prevent pleuritis changes. No treatments are available for viral respiratory infections with the exception of amantadine for influenza.

recent or present respiratory illness with its symptoms
localized chest pain on the chest wall
pain with each breath
worsened by coughing
worsened by deep breathing

Signs and tests
Physical examination may show abnormal lung sounds:
a friction rub -- a rough scratchy sound that accompanies inspiration and expiration
rales (may be present if there is an accompanying pneumonia)
rhonchi (may be present with accompanying pneumonia or bronchitic process)
decreased breath sounds (may be present if there is a collection of fluid around the lung
CBC (may help differentiate bacterial versus viral infection)
X-ray of the chest
ultrasound of the chest
thoracentesis (a collection of fluid from the pleural cavity)

Treatment is determined by the precipitating illness. Bacterial infections are treated with appropriate antibiotics. Tuberculosis requires special treatment. Viral infections normally run their course without medications. Pleural fluid is often removed by thoracentesis, and evaluated for signs of infection.

Recovery depends on the nature of the illness. Recovery from infections of all types is generally good with treatment. Recovery from pleurisy cause by malignant disease is depends on the type and extent of the illness.

breathing difficulty
complications associated with the precipitating illness

could it be phlegm not mass

in late march i went to after hours clinic with a temp of 103.1 and shortness of breath. Doc did chest x-ray. I seen the x-rays which my whole left lung had a big "cloud" covering the whole lung area. He didn't say anything about it. He just told me I had bronchitis, pharyngitis, viral infection, and strep throat. 3 weeks later my doctors office called and said they got x-rays from clinic and to come in next day. He said there is a 3 cm mass on left lung. I go for a ct scan may 3rd but in the meantime I'm tripping bc I have been smoking menthols for 13 years and I smoked pot for about the same amount of time and everything I've looked up says 4 mar. joints are like 112 cigarettes. I AM WONDERING IF PHLEGM WOULD SHOW UP ON AN X-RAY AND LOOK LIKE A MASS???????? I don't hurt, i just have shallow breathing in morning bc i still smoke and i spit stuff up but its more like thick saliva. i am worried and have another 2 weeks to wait. My mom died last may from liver and lung cancer at the age of 52. I appreciate any insight to ease my mind.