Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
croup and hives

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

croup and hives

last weekend my son had a virus. strep tested negative so no antibiotics were needed. Fever spiked to 103.6 ...treated w Ibuprofen  the fever broke Sunday night. i kept him home from school (he will be 4 in december) and on Tuesday i noticed 3 Hives on his face. He is allergic to penicillin but none was given. I brought him o the dr and she said it could be from the virus. He went to school that day for the 2.5 hrs hes in prek. Wednesday he woke up coughing like crazy. Again i brought him and she said it was the start of CROUP. His lungs were clear and she said to give him 15mg of Prednosolone 2 tiems a day.  ...it seems to get the coughing to ease up. Today i put him in the shower w me to clean him up a bit and he began to get hives on his face like crazy. scratching he was so upset. I quickly gave him Benadryl and he was ok after a while. My question is this...can the croup be causing the Hives? and was it the steam opening up his pores what made it worse? I know Croup takes a while to go away but could it cause HIVES? They are just on his face. He had 3 earlier today but they went away on their own. Im a first time mommy and scared. Im taking him to the dr but wana hear from some other parents out there that went thru this!

Hives can indeed accompany viral infections but other, non-hive skin lesions can  also be seen with such infections and have been not infrequently associated with a virus called, Parvo 19 virus. Some viruses, including this one have also been associated with pneumonia and that could explain his cough.  

I believe the first step should be for you to have your son re-examined by his doctor, with specific attention to his skin lesions.  These lesions might not be hives but a rash typical of another type of infection, perhaps even a bacterial infection.  Reexamination of the rash might even provide clues to another, viral or bacterial infection.

While high fever is more commonly associated bacterial infection, temperatures in the 102-104 range are not uncommon with viral croup.  It would also be reasonable to repeat the strep throat culture at this time.

I did a brief search of the medical literature but could find no report of hives being associated with croup.

You, especially as a first time mother, have good reason to be concerned about your son’s illness, be it croup or something else.  The best way to peace of mind is for you to remain in close touch with his doctor who, as his illness progresses or (hopefully) begins to resolve, may be able to provide a diagnosis with greater assurance.

Good luck