Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
ct scan results not understanding them

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

ct scan results not understanding them

I'm 60 yr old woman, smoked for 45 years, stoped in Mar 06 because of breathing difficulties. Dr took a ct scan and the results I don't really understand.
It says 6.0-7.0 mm noncalcified nodule in the left lower lobe. The nodule is probably too small to be seen with PET scan. Also they wrote a small amount of fluid is seen in the pericardial recess. Please help me understand does this mean the nodule is cancer??? what's the difference between noncalcified and calcified.
By the usual criteria, this nodule is quite small.  The majority of nodules this size are not cancer.  Calcified nodules are almost always not cancer.  Non-calcified nodules may or may not be cancer.  You should talk about this with your doctor.  You may want to talk about it with a lung specialist.  A repeat CT scan in 3 to 4 months would be a reasonable suggestion.
My husband smoked 4 packs a day for 40 yrs and 3 yrs ago the CT scan revealed a "nodule", don't know how big it was.  The Lung Specialist ordered a "bronchoscope" where a biopsy was done of the nodule.  It was benign, no cancer.  The Lung doctor said the nodule is "pre-cancerous" and if he had not stopped smoking it very possibly would've turned into cancer.  He had to have a CT done every 6 months for the next 3 yrs.  He is now in the clear and also quit smoking 3 yrs ago.

Good luck to you.