Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
dark phlem

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

dark phlem

Every morning I cough up a dark brown phlem. I also have alot of phlem in general. What causes this? Should I get checked by a doctor?
If the phlegm that you have is dripping down the back of your throat from your nose and sinuses it could be postnasal drip.  There could be several reasons for this phlegm.  One is an allergic reaction to inhaling something.  A second reason is a nonallergic, noninfectious inflammation in the sinuses that could be lingering after a cold.  When the phlegm "sits" there, it can change color quite frequently.  A third reason is chronic sinusitis.  Postnasal drip can cause irritation of the throat and lungs.  You may experience the postnasal drip as a constant feeling of phlegm at the back of your throat.  A nasal wash helps remove phlegm from the nose and sinuses.  This can temporarily reduce the postnasal drip and lessen the dark brown phlegm.  A prescription nasal steroid spray decreases nasal swelling and phlegm production.  This may prevent the postnasal drip and dark brown phlegm.  To get the most out of a nasal steroid spray use it after doing a nasal wash.  A nasal steroid spray does not provide immediate relief of symptoms.  It may require several weeks of routine use to become effective.  Please read our Nasal Wash MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/nasal.html for more information about this technique.  Share this information with your doctor to see if you would benefit from this daily treatment.  A doctor would also be able to help you to know if there is some other cause for your phlegm.
Yes, any time phlegm is discolored & persists, it is best brough to your doctor's attention.  Starion