Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
diaphgram injury
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

diaphgram injury

Can excessive, prolonged and violent coughing due to work place antigen exposure construction dust, in a patient with history of asthma, allergic disorder and a 6 year former smoker, result a paralyzed right diaphragm?  

Are your aware of any information that connects excessive, prolonged and violent coughing resulting in a paralyzed diaphragm.  I do see various thoracic injuries such as rib fracture and diaphragm rupture reported.

Thanks  Michael Bentz
242587_tn?1355427710
I have no personal knowledge of nor could I find medical reports of diaphragmatic paralysis secondary to coughing, either prolonged and/or violent.  I believe that it would be difficult if not impossible to attribute paralysis to cough, with any degree of certainty.  It would also be difficult given that acute and chronic cough is very common and spontaneous or otherwise unexplained. Paralysis of a hemi-diaphragm is not rare.  As you note, blunt trauma is not an uncommon cause.

Good luck
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank