Respiratory Disorders Community
difficulty breathing while running
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

difficulty breathing while running

I am a 37 year old mother of three.  I run on our treadmill to maintain weight and fitness.  I'm trying to build my endurance and have been pushing myself to run short distances at a faster pace.  I'm 5'5" and weigh 148 lbs.  I typically run 1 mile at 5.0 and 1/2 mile at 6.0 and another mile at 5.0.  This gives me about 2.5 miles per night.  I am having a lot of trouble breathing during my runs.  I have to stop completely for a moment and yawn really hard to get my air and then I can start again.  I've been doing this for about three weeks.  I'm sitting at my desk today and I'm I feel like I have to yawn constantly to get my air in.  I've never been able to run long distances because of this but it seems to be getting worse.  I haven't talked to my doctor yet... not really sure what to say.  Is this something I can control by using a different breathing technique while running or does this indicate a lung capacity issue?  Should I visit my doctor?