Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
difficulty breathing

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

difficulty breathing

For a year now I have been suffering from shortness of breath, congestion of my ears and throat, upset stomach, sweating, and frequent loose bowels.  The shortness of breath gets worse when I exert myself suchas lifting things then walking, climbing steps, or sudden movements.  I have been diagnosed with a heart condition, but this was done before these symptoms started.  I have had several medical tests for gastric and breathing problems.  I get tested for my heart several times a year.  I've had MRI's, blood tests, and ENT examinations.  My test results come back normal, however, I've had technitions while they are administering the tests ask me if I've experienced pain.  

I am miserable and so far there has been no help or releif.  I currently take medicine for my heart, high blood pressure, acid reflux, and depression.  I would appreciate any suggestions.
Your numerous symptoms suggest that you either have several different illnesses (intestinal and cardiac/respiratory along with excessive sweating) or one illness that involves multiple body systems or organs.  The latter, one disease that involves multiple parts of one’s body can be caused by infection, cancer or a category of diseases that are called auto-immune disease.  The auto-immune diseases occur when tissues in the body, that ordinarily, normally protect it from infection for example, go awry and damage one or more of ones body organs.

As you can tell, this presents a complex problem for your doctors and finding the cause may be difficult.  Heart or lung disease can cause shortness of breath.  In your situation, with a known “heart condition”, your heart is most likely the problem.”  It could also be an undiagnosed lung disease or a combination of heart and lung disease.  Finding the specific cause would be a good starting point as it might give clues as to what is going on in the rest of your body.  If you opt not to do that, the other good specialist to consult would be a gastro-enterologist, since you’ve already had your heart checked and you definitely have a problem with your stomach and intestines.

Physicians who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of one body system (example-intestinal diseases) or organ (heart specialists) can often make an accurate diagnosis.  But when multiple parts of one’s body are malfunctioning you would do well to consult with a Specialist in Internal Medicine, trained and accustomed to observing the body as a whole.  The best recommendation that I can make to you is that you consult with such a specialist.    In addition, since it appears that you have sought care from a number of local physicians, you would do well to request consultation from an all-purpose clinic such as the Mayo Clinic or an equally large and diversified Clinic such as those found at University Medical Centers.

You have provided ample information but I cannot begin to suggest a diagnosis.  This will require the hands-on care of doctors accustomed to dealing with complicated illnesses, such as yours.

Good luck